United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 29s
Overall Rank = 146/206
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 14/21
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special--got up, drove the 25 minutest to the race, got marked and set up transition. Checked out water temp, etc.
Event warmup:

Stretched for a while, got in the water and swam 200 yards or so.
Swim
  • 07m 34s
  • 575 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very pleased with this swim. Far and away my fastest swim time in a race. I honestly suspect the numbers might be off a bit, but this is the official result, so I'm going with it! Water temp was absolutely perfect for racing.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. It was a very good swim for me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

I'm not a very good transitioner, so this is one area I could certainly work on. I need to get that wetsuit off faster!

Work on a more fluid motion getting the wetsuit off. Practice, practice, practice getting those bike shoes on.
Bike
  • 39m 9s
  • 11 miles
  • 16.86 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a good pace for me, but still not a great ranking, unfortunately. Oh well. I passed a lot of people going up hills, but then they would often catch me on the flats. About halfway through the course, I started feeling the dreaded side stitch. I slowed a bit and concentrated on my breathing, but couldn't get it to go away.

Push harder on the flats. There were a couple of times that I intentionally was holding back a bit in prep. for the run. Also drink more to stave off the cramps. (Although I get them if I drink too much too, what is a girl to do??)
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Again, transitions are not my strong point. I just needs to practice getting the bike shoes off and the run shoes on.

Remember my race number belt! Doh! I was half way through the run when I realized that I totally forgot to put it on in T2! I was worried that I might be DQ'd because of it, but they kindly just used my body marking instead.
Run
  • 31m 6s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Ugh. This run was tough. Even though the race director had told us the night before that the run course was flat, her definition of flat and mine are clearly very different! :) Yes, relative to the bike course it was flat, but uh... Anyway, the bottom line is that it was getting bloody hot out and I had the double-sided side stitch going, so very early on my goal changed from "sub-10:00 miles" to "finish without walking." :(

Drink more. Maybe do a summersault for the side stitch. Ha ha. It was not a terrible run (still faster than any run split I had last year), but it was not good either.
Post race
Warm down:

Sucked down some water and stretched quite a bit. Had some watermelon and watched more racers come in.

I drank two bottles of water and 1.5 bottles of Gatorade without having to use the port-a-john, so I suspect I was more than a little dehydrated. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and humidity on the run. My continued lack of speed on the bike.

Event comments:

This is an awesome race that runs like a well-oiled machine. The course is beautiful, and there are tons of volunteers. NICE long sleeved coolmax race shirt without the advertisements all over it, and was actually available in women's sizes--woohoo!

We'll definitely do this race again in the future. It's not far from the cabin and it was really nice to make a weekend out of it.

Side note #1: This was the qualifying race for the Best of the US series for North and South Dakota (apparently there must be a lack of races in ND/SD??), so there were a lot of top racers there.

Side note #2: The morning after the race I went for a slow easy ride to loosen up the legs. When I got back I noticed that my back tire was about to blow (threads showing through the rubber) and sure enough about an hour later it did! Talk about lucky timing.

Last updated: 2005-03-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:34 | 575 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 27/206
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion sleeveless
Course: Basically an out and back in a very shallow lake. Pretty clear and not many weeds. Quite a few rocks and crayfish though. Ew.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:39:09 | 11 miles | 16.86 mile/hr
Overall: 141/206
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Nice course! Hilly as advertised, but not as bad as the last race, thankfully. Road surface could have been better in places, but I cannot say enough about the totally fantastic traffic control! It rocked!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:06 | 03 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Overall: 160/206
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back, with hills.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-11 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Timberman Triathlon

2005-07-11 9:23 AM
in reply to: #194590

Expert
Princeton, MN
Subject: RE: Timberman Triathlon
Well done Kelly!
Your run leg was faster than mine!!!
2005-07-11 1:20 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Good job!

It's interesting how your definition of "flat" and the race director's often differ.  I remember my first 10k, also "flat" - hello - what about that big stinkin' hill from mile 3-4 on way out (and then we had to do it AGAIN on the way back!)  - Now, I just don't believe them.  I guess flat is a relative concept.

2005-07-11 3:44 PM

User image

Regular
Eden Prairie, MN
Wow, your swim time rocks! I dream of the day I'll be able to swim that fast...

Nice job!

-Kevin
2005-07-11 6:10 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
hey, speedy! awesome race! you are such a fish. i am constantly amazed how fast you go in the water. you kicked butt on the run. since when do you get bummed about 10 min miles? just remember your pace 6 months ago. you have improved by leaps and bounds!!!!
2005-07-11 9:34 PM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Nice swim!

I am amazed by how efficient you swimmers are and how easy you make it look.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman Triathlon Rss Feed