General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Philadelphia Triathlon, LLC
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 59s
Overall Rank = 838/1828
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 146/256
Pre-race routine:

Bike to transition from hotel. Body marking, set up transition. Walk around, talking to team mates and other racers.
Event warmup:

Easy running - approx 1/2 mile.
Run
  • 25m 10s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first duathlon, and I didn't know how to pace it. It felt fine at the time, but later I realized that I ran too fast during this first run.
What would you do differently?:

Slow down!
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Large transition area with a long run from my spot to the mat.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 33s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, I went too hard on the bike, not realizing how much replacing the swim with a 5K run was going to affect the rest of my race. My pace would have been fine if this was a tri, and the temps didn't climb into the 90's during the second run.

The temperature was climbing fast during the bike, and I underestimated how much I was going to sweat during the second run. I should have drank more.

Slow down a little. Drink more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

After dismounting, there were a lot of people that I couldn't get around, who had dismounted right before me. I finally passed 3 or 4 of them as I entered the transition area.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 08m 46s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew I was in trouble in the first hundred yards. My legs were heavy, and it was hard to put one foot in front of the other. By this point, the temperature was in the 90's, and the sun was beating down. This run was terrible. I probably walked about a dozed times, and the running was forced, and very slow. The final run split was more than 10 minutes slower than I've ever run this course during the tri. I was over-heating bad, and felt a little dizzy. I got water at the first few aid stations, then I started getting water and Gatorade at every station starting about half way through. I saw several people being put on stretchers. When I realized that my overall time was going to be terrible, I decided not to kill myself on this run, and risk a long recovery period or injury that would impact Musselman in 2 weeks, so I didn't give 100% for about the last 2 miles. This was a brutal race.

Slow down by a few minutes during the first run, and about 1 mph on the bike, to try to leave something in the tank for this last run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pacing & heat.

Event comments:

While setting up transition, an announcement was made that a man was missing from the swim during the sprint the day before, so the race was being changed to a duathlon. At that point, I realized that I should approach this race as a learning experience rather than try to hit my original time goals. Changing from a tri to a du eliminated my strongest leg, and increased my weakest one.

Last updated: 2009-11-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:10 | 03.1 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/256
Overall: 926/1828
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat out & back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:32
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:14:33 | 24.85 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Overall: 509/1828
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Combination of flat with some small hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:08:46 | 06.21 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Overall: 1323/1828
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat double out-and-back in 2 directions. First out-and-back had some shade. The second one had almost none. Mostly on asphalt with a few hundred yards on grass around the back of transition at the beginning, and between the out-and-backs.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-04 3:36 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race

2010-07-05 11:10 PM
in reply to: #2960829

User image

Elite
SE
Subject: RE: Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race
darn good show~!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Philadelphia Insurance Triathlon - Olympic Race Rss Feed