United States
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m 43s
Overall Rank = 763/1877
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 3:20 AM! I ate 1 1/2 Clif Bars. I wanted to be on the first shuttle at 4:00 AM, since I was in the first wave at 6:00 AM. We actually arrived before the transition area opened.

Once the TA opened, I set up my gear fairly quickly. There was a 1 mile walk to the swim start, so I wanted enough time to get there, take care of business and get get in my wetsuit.

I was pretty calm. I only had to pee twice, and didn't have to do #2.
Event warmup:

Walking to the swim, and fighting the current to get to the rope to hold on. :-)
Swim
  • 23m 49s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

They weren't kidding when they said don't go too far away from the float, and get back to the rope once you jumped in the water. I slid in, and immediately the current pulled me away. Swimming back to hold onto the rope was like swimming in an Endless Pool. I got back and hung onto the rope. Some of the women were having trouble getting back to the rope, and others helped pull them back.

The start was a little chaotic. Even though we were spread across the length of the pier somehow I ended out in a mass of arms and feet. I did eventually work my way out of the crowd. I would catch up swimmers, but none of them worth drafting on, so I'd go around. Drafting was difficult because the current made the water more stirred up around people's feet.

They had markers every 300 meters on the sea wall. Since I breathe to the left most of the time they were easy to spot. Even though I had this great current working with me I didn't feel like I was going real fast.

What would you do differently?:

I simply need more pool time. I don't swim enough each week.
Transition 1
  • 06m 33s
Comments:

T1 was very difficult because it was quite a long run from the swim exit to the transition area. They actually had two transition areas. One for men and the relays and one for the women. Our transition area was further away.

Running on the concrete was very hard on my achy feet. Not a good thing for someone with bone spurs in both heels!

I was a little better with the wetsuit then my last two races. I still think I might want to trim the legs a bit. I was somewhat out of it in terms of getting my bike gear on. Helmet and glasses went on last.

If allowed, I'd leave my trail sandels near the swim exit, and put them on to do the run back to T1.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 52s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 19.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Being in the first wave in race this size is great. The tight spots leaving transition weren't real crowded, and it was easy for me to negotiate my way through. Because of where the women's TA was we probably had an extra kilometer of biking. It's a fun bike course, and I did pass a lot of the fishies in my wave and some of the later waves who passed me in the water.

One of the first women I passed was someone from a later wave who blew past me in the water. She appeared to be a former pro who was racing age group. She had a pro uniform with her last name across the butt. She was all the way over to the left, and even though she should have known better, I didn't want to yell at her to move over to the right. I ended out passing on the right, and hoping no officials were around.

I had passed this one woman from my wave, and shortly afterwards she passed me. After I did my required drop back, I passed her again. I thought it would be one of those back and forth "passathons" that I often do with guys, but she dropped back for good. I guess when she saw I was not in her age group it didn't matter to her.

There were a few bad potholes on the course. One of them I went right over, but somehow managed not to flat or fall. I guess it was narrow enough and I had enough speed going over it, that it didn't have an impact.

Since it was an out and back course I got to watch the action in both directions. It wasn't until I got up into the Bronx, that I finally started to see women coming back in the other direction. There weren't all that many in front of me. They were spread out. As I got to the turn around I saw one woman ahead of me, but I was still climbing and she got a really good jump on the descent, so I couldn't catch her.

Looking at the crowds heading north as I was going back south, made me happy I was in the first wave. The guys were flying by the slower and later starting women. There were going to be some drafting and position penalties for sure. I heards lots of shouts "On your left!"

I di finally get passed by one woman who was on a relay team. She was real hot stuff, and obviously a pure cyclist. I wasn't going to be able to repass her. I kept her in sight for awhile, but once she exited the highway I didn't see her again.

I was a little disappointed in my bike split. I wasn't recovering well on the hills. I get to a flat section after a hill, and have trouble getting back up to speed. I also felt as though I struggling on the hills more then usual.

1. I need to do more hill work between now and Nationals.

2. Not ride so much on Thursday before the race. I should have done about 1/2 of what I did.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I managed to get my feet out of the shoes, and ride the last stretch on top of the shoes. They didn't have a dismount line marked so I wasn't really sure where to get off. As I passed John he yelled that there weren't many bikes back. It was quite clear as the TA was pretty empty.

I had marked my rack well, and had really worked out my entry stratagy. Also it helps when you're not dodging others coming in from the bike or going out for the run.

Nothing. I couldn't have done it much smoother.
Run
  • 52m 20s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is tough at the start because after leaving the transition area is straight up hill to get up to 72nd St. I'm always really pumped up when I head out on the run course and there's no one around me. This course is way cool running across 72nd St., and having all the traffic stopped for me! (And all those other people also doing the race.) I heard a few people call my name. I'm not sure who they were, but it was nice someone knew me. Also the TNT staff people would yell "Go Team" as I went by.

It wasn't long until people started passing me on the run. Lots of women 1/2 my age came blowing by, along with the 40-49 year olds that I had passed on the bike. This was one race I wasn't going to pass anyone! In a race like this if they've stayed ahead of me on the bike, they're gone for good.

It's been years since I've run or raced in Central Park. I forgot about the hills, particularly up at the top of the park. It brought back memories of those races and training runs I did back in my days as a runner. (Hard to believe I actually only ran!)

A woman passed me at the bottom of the 110th St. hill. She had a 57 on her calf. As she passed I asked her if that was really a 7, and not a 1. She said yes it was a 7. That was good for me.

Later on one of the PC athletes passes me in his racing chair. Shortly after that one of the amputees comes by. He's really moving on that running prosthesis. These guys are amazing.

Finally around 4.5 miles I get caught by a 50 year old women. So much for winning the age group. I try picking up my pace, but there is no staying on her. I just hope that I'm correct in my assumption that there's no one else in front of us, and I just hope no one else comes up on me.

I had carried a gel with me, but I was in no mood for anything besides water. At each water stop I'd drink part of the cup, and dump the rest on my head. The gel was making a sloshing sound, and at first I thought it was my stomach but it wasn't.

Finally I see the turn for 72nd St. I know the finish is not far now. I pick up the pace, and hammer it in with another woman. I have no idea who finished first. I was just glad the run was done.

I'm not sure how short the run was, but I don't think I was really running an 8:29 pace for the whole race.

Hill work, and run a few races in Central Park.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little after the finish. Made a beeline to the massage tent. After my massage we walked back to transition to get my gear. I rode my bike down to the hotel, and John took the subway. We arrived at the hotel at the exact same time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough a taper before hand.

Event comments:

A good indicator of where I am in terms of Nationals. I see some things that I need to work on in terms of hill training for the bike. I have 5 weeks to work on these things. I have two more sprint races in the next few weeks, but I'll train through them for the most part.

Last updated: 2005-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:49 | 1500 meters | 01m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 1033/1877
Performance: Average
Suit: IM Stealth Fullsuit
Course: Hudson River. Point to point, down river with the current.
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:17:52 | 24.8 miles | 19.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 339/1877
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on West Side, and Henry Hudson Parkways.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:52:20 | 06.2 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 812/1877
Performance: Good
Course: Up to 72nd St, across to Central Park. North loop back down to finish near 72nd st.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-11 10:40 AM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Subject: NYC Triathlon

2005-07-11 12:35 PM
in reply to: #194726

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: RE: NYC Triathlon
Great race report, and congratulations on finishing 2nd in your AG! T1 sounds like it was pretty crazy -that would be so annoying to have to go that far. 
2005-07-11 1:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Ridgefield, CT
Great race! I ran it too and echo your comments on T1. My feet were hurting from running on the pavement and you had to run an extra 100+ yards.

Congrats again and good luck the next 5 weeks.
2005-07-11 2:35 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Great race, Polly.

Why, out of nearly 2,000 participants, were there only 8 in your AG? Don't the old gals race in NYC? Down here it seems like the 45-49s and the 50-54s are the most crowded AGs.

2005-07-11 6:43 PM
in reply to: #195103

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
the bear - 2005-07-11 3:35 PM

Great race, Polly.

Why, out of nearly 2,000 participants, were there only 8 in your AG? Don't the old gals race in NYC? Down here it seems like the 45-49s and the 50-54s are the most crowded AGs.

I was surprised how few were in my AG.  I was abot 2-3 minutes behind first, but 3rd was almost a 1/2 hour behind me.  Very strange breakdown.

2005-07-12 7:18 PM

New user

NYC
Congratulations.......That's a fantastic race, and very impressive times. You girls did have a long run to the TA.

Way to go!

Jeff

2005-07-12 8:47 PM
in reply to: #196585

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

zinker - 2005-07-12 8:18 PM Congratulations.......That's a fantastic race, and very impressive times. You girls did have a long run to the TA. Way to go! Jeff

But I like the fact that we got to bike a little extra, and run a little less on the actual run. :-)

2005-07-12 10:13 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
You are a real inspiration. Great race and a tremendous race report.

ken
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NYC Triathlon Rss Feed