General Discussion Race Reports! » Howell Independence Open Water Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Howell Independence Open Water Swim - SwimOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Howell, Michigan
United States
Howell Parks and Red
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 29m 57s
Overall Rank = 78/89
Age Group = 26-30 Ladies
Age Group Rank = 80/8
Pre-race routine:

We were up LATE watching fire works and then up early for this race....so I was dragging and my belly was angry with me.
Event warmup:

Just took a quick dip in the water...stretched my stiff, sore and dehydrated legs out.
Swim
  • 29m 57s
  • 1600 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

I took it pretty easy to start, figuring I could pick up the pace on the 2nd lap. I felt great the entire time, even though the girl in the blue cap ahead of me kicked me square in the jaw (it didn't hurt too bad and I didn't lose any teeth). I tried to keep Mike in sight, but took off after the 1st lap in hopes of catching some of the other swimmers...but we ended up finishing at the exact same time! I sprinted the last 200+ meters and was trying to pull ahead of a guy next to me...and had no idea it was him!
What would you do differently?:

I would push it much harder the entire race. I took it WAY too easy on the first lap, didn't hustle to get in the water at the group start and didn't hustle in and out of the water at the turn. I was looking at this race more as a training day and a fun event, but I still could have worked much harder.

On the other hand, I was pretty surprised and pleased to see that I paced under 2:00/100 meters.
Post race
Warm down:

We had about 30 minutes before the Aquathlon was to start, so I changed clothes and stretched the legs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

There were some FAST swimmers out there! I felt great, but still could have pushed much harder than I did.

Event comments:

This was a fun little race and a great venue. I had a blast and can't wait to do it again next year. I can't think of a better way to start your Independence Day celebration.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:57 | 1600 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/8
Overall: 78/89
Performance: Good
Suit: Basic swim suit
Course: Counter-clockwise triangle x2
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good