General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddles Sores - help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-06 10:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
Subject: Saddles Sores - help!
Ok, so without getting too graphic I'm dealing with saddle sores.  Below is a recap of what I've tried but if anyone has any other advice I'd love to hear it because man those suckers are painful! 

- I always wear clean biking shorts and use chamois cream/bag palm
- I have an adamo saddle and a cobb V flow max.  Both cause sores but after some back and forth I think the adamo causes fewer issues.
- I always clean with witch hazel after rides and keep things as dry as possible by using baby powder

Any other ideas?   I do 2 longer rides each weekend and the 2nd ride is shear torture right now because of saddle sores! 

2010-07-06 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2963240

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Saddles Sores - help!
Use the Bag Balm after you get off the bike.
2010-07-06 10:59 AM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

I've never had saddle sores, but from what I've read/heard you want to let them completely heal before riding again. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

2010-07-06 11:01 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Do you wear any kind of chamois butter, etc. while riding? I have tried a few different things, and I found Aquaphor to be the best for during riding and post riding if I had any issues.  Have you tried different shorts?
2010-07-06 11:08 AM

User image

New user
Houston, TX
When did you last buy a new pair of shorts? According my boyfriend, who manages a bike store, when you start having more sores/pain you shorts need replaced since the pad is wearing thin. He's having that problem right now and his shorts are about 2 years old.
2010-07-06 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2963364

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
TexasMPGal - 2010-07-06 11:01 AM Do you wear any kind of chamois butter, etc. while riding? I have tried a few different things, and I found Aquaphor to be the best for during riding and post riding if I had any issues.  Have you tried different shorts?

I've tried all kinds of chamois creme but not Aquaphor.  I'll definitely give it a try.

Different shorts is also a good idea - I have 3 pair of bibs that I rotate but 2 of them are the exact same brand.  Maybe I should look for a different pair and see if that helps.

I know ideally you're supposed to stop riding and let them heal but I don't want to miss workouts over it - I figure they'll have plenty of time to heal after September. 

2010-07-06 11:11 AM

User image

over a barrier
You might want to try zip tieing the adamo prongs closer together to reduce the friction while riding...
2010-07-06 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2963381

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
StarleeJ - 2010-07-06 11:08 AM When did you last buy a new pair of shorts? According my boyfriend, who manages a bike store, when you start having more sores/pain you shorts need replaced since the pad is wearing thin. He's having that problem right now and his shorts are about 2 years old.

I rotate through 3 pairs of bibs and all of them are less then 8 months old.
2010-07-06 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2963388

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
running2far - 2010-07-06 11:11 AM You might want to try zip tieing the adamo prongs closer together to reduce the friction while riding...

Actually, I have done this already and it did seem to help a bit.  I'm also going to tip the nose down a bit to see if that helps.
2010-07-06 11:13 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
For treating them, A&D or any antibiotic ointement will knock them down in 24 hours. Works great.
2010-07-06 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2963382

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg
DB - 2010-07-06 12:09 PM
TexasMPGal - 2010-07-06 11:01 AM Do you wear any kind of chamois butter, etc. while riding? I have tried a few different things, and I found Aquaphor to be the best for during riding and post riding if I had any issues.  Have you tried different shorts?

I've tried all kinds of chamois creme but not Aquaphor.  I'll definitely give it a try.

Different shorts is also a good idea - I have 3 pair of bibs that I rotate but 2 of them are the exact same brand.  Maybe I should look for a different pair and see if that helps.

I know ideally you're supposed to stop riding and let them heal but I don't want to miss workouts over it - I figure they'll have plenty of time to heal after September. 

Aquaphor, of course, works well for me.  I also find that if I do have a saddle sore I lance it immediately after riding (use the lancets for blood testing for diabetes, find them in the drugstore). Then I put Noxema on after the shower and powder.    I've also found that the leaner I am the more issues I have with saddle sores.  Some people I know wear tri shorts over their bike shorts so any friction is between the two layers.

2010-07-06 11:56 AM

User image

Any time I end up with chaffing (old tri shorts with rough pad, etc) I put a bit of neosporin with lidocain on the -er- affected area for a day or so after the ride.

Not had issues with this yet. knock on wood.
2010-07-06 11:58 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Are you wearing regular bike shorts on a tri bike?  I found that my "bike shorts" are too padded and caused issues of all kinds on the tri bike.  I only wear thinner padded tri shorts when I'm gong to be riding the tri bike.

As far as the sores go, I'd recommend diaper ointment for application after your shower.

2010-07-06 12:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
Lots of good feedback - thanks folks!  Top of the list will be some Aquaphor and antibacterial cream and some needles for lancing...yeah, I'm really looking forward to that....

BikerG:  I use normal biking shorts but I've thought about finding shorts with less padding because I do think part of the problem is bunching up which is causing friction.  Although I'd like a bit more then tri shorts for the long rides.  I'll have to swing by the LBS and maybe they have some thinner padded bibs.

2010-07-06 12:12 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Be careful if they get to bad, go see your doctor....folks can have them have staph and be a real issue.

Are they in the same area? Is that rubbing or chaffing area with your saddle?

Go without underwear if you can after riding as it keeps things drier and helps.
2010-07-06 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2963556

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
KathyG - 2010-07-06 12:12 PM Be careful if they get to bad, go see your doctor....folks can have them have staph and be a real issue.

Are they in the same area? Is that rubbing or chaffing area with your saddle?

Go without underwear if you can after riding as it keeps things drier and helps.

Yes, they tend to be in the same area but I'm not sure if it's the saddle or my shorts bunching up that's the real issue. 

2010-07-06 12:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg

Home Remedies for Saddle Sores and Chamois Rash
By Gale Bernhardt

For Active.com

You're got this saddle sore that has grown on you, literally. It has established such a persistent presence that you decided to name it Chewbacca. You've heard of several home remedies to get rid of Chewbacca, but do they really work?

Most cyclists will get a saddle sore at one point or another during their riding adventures. These are riders that have the right bike fit, remove shorts immediately after riding and wash shorts before wearing them again. In spite of doing these things right, a darn rash or saddle sore shows up.

For any number or reasons, the cyclist doesn't want to run to the doctor to have the entire office take a look at the angry Chewbacca. Many cyclists would prefer to try some home remedies to solve the problem themselves before making an appointment with the doctor. Should home remedies fail, only then do they make a doctor's appointment.

Talk to any experienced cyclist and they have their own potion or method for getting a saddle sore or chamois rash to heal more quickly.

Over the years, and many group ride discussions, I've collected a list of some of these home remedies and have many of them for you in this column. Along with each remedy, I've listed why the remedy may work and the intended effect or the active ingredients.

Listed in no particular order, let's begin with crèmes and ointments.

Noxema

This skin crème was originally created as a remedy for sunburn and was commonly referred to as "no-eczema." Later it became a popular skin cleanser.

The active ingredients include camphor (slight local anesthetic and is antimicrobial—killing or inhibiting bacteria, fungi or protozoans), menthol (local anesthetic and counterirritant properties) and eucalyptus (has anti-inflammatory, analgesic (pain relief) and liniment (relieves pain and stiffness) properties).

Vagisil

Though typically thought of as a feminine care product, plenty of cyclists—male and female—use this product. Some use it prophylacticly (intended to prevent sores before they appear), and others use it as a treatment after the saddle sore has appeared.

The active ingredients include benzocaine (local anesthetic and topical pain reliever) and resorcinol (antiseptic, helps reduce the possibility of infection, and disinfectant, kills microorganisms living on substances)

Preparation H

Though this ointment is advertised to shrink the swelling of hemorrhoidal tissues, some cyclists believe it helps shrink saddle sores. Active ingredients include glycerin (water soluble and is hygroscopic—that is, it attracts water molecules from the surrounding environment), phenylephrine (a vasoconstrictor that decreases blood flow to the area, leading to decreased mucosal edema), pramoxine (local anesthetic) and white petrolatum (topical ointment with healing properties)

Tea Tree Oil

Some cyclists use the oil, while others prefer a stick similar to lip balm. Its medicinal properties include antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral.

Antibacterial Ointments (Neosporin, Polysporin)

The specific ingredients vary, but these ointments are commonly used to prevent infection in minor wounds.

Hot Compress, Bath or Tub

Hot compresses have been used to treat acne, with the goal to bring pimples to a head so they can drain and dry out. Some cyclists use one of the many home formulas used for acne treatment, and apply it with a hot compress.

Since it is somewhat difficult to apply a hot compress to your bum, some cyclists will sit in a hot bath or hot tub to encourage the saddle sore to come to a head and drain. Often, an antiseptic or a wound cover is applied after the pimple drains.

Tegaderm

This is a thin, transparent wound dressing that I covered in the column "When Flesh Meets Earth". It is a wound care product that some cyclists have found helpful when covering and treating saddle sores.

The powder category is used more for chamois rash than for saddle sores. Some cyclists believe the powders prevent saddle sores, while others have not had the same positive experience.

Talcum Powder

Often referred to as "talc", it is a mineral composed of hydrated magnesium silicate in the loose form. Interestingly it is used in many industries, including electrical switchboards, due to its resistance to heat. It has astringent properties (tends to shrink or constrict body tissues) and is often the main ingredient used in baby powder, tailor's chalk and a hand-drying agent for basketball players.

There is concern that inhaling talcum powder can lead to serious respiratory problems.

Baby Powder

The original Johnson and Johnson Baby Powder is 99-percent non-fibrous talc. Other baby powders include some variation of the following ingredients: corn starch (used for generations to prevent or help heal diaper rash and other skin irritations as starch is thought to absorb wetness), arrowroot powder (arrowroot is a tuber containing about 23 percent starch), tapioca starch (another plant root starch), zinc oxide (antibacterial and deodorizing), calendula extract (aids in wound healing), as well as other ingredients.

Anti Monkey Butt

This is a powder using talc or cornstarch and contains calamine, which is a combination of zinc oxide and iron oxide. It has mild antipruritic (anti-itching agent), antiseptic and astringent properties.

On a positive note, at least one cyclist has had a positive experience with every item on this list. It may take you a bit of experimenting to determine which product or technique is best for you, because like most things every body is different and what works for you may or may not work for someone else.

If you have other home remedies for saddle sores or chamois rash, let us know.

Of course, see a doctor if your saddle sore or rash condition gets worse or causes you to stop riding.

2010-07-06 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2963623

User image

Extreme Veteran
gts - 2010-07-06 1:37 PM

By Gale Bernhardt

For Active.com

You're got this saddle sore that has grown on you, literally. It has established such a persistent presence that you decided to name it Chewbacca. You've heard of several home remedies to get rid of Chewbacca, but do they really work?

Most cyclists will get a saddle sore at one point or another during their riding adventures. These are riders that have the right bike fit, remove shorts immediately after riding and wash shorts before wearing them again. In spite of doing these things right, a darn rash or saddle sore shows up.

For any number or reasons, the cyclist doesn't want to run to the doctor to have the entire office take a look at the angry Chewbacca. Many cyclists would prefer to try some home remedies to solve the problem themselves before making an appointment with the doctor. Should home remedies fail, only then do they make a doctor's appointment.

Talk to any experienced cyclist and they have their own potion or method for getting a saddle sore or chamois rash to heal more quickly.

Over the years, and many group ride discussions, I've collected a list of some of these home remedies and have many of them for you in this column. Along with each remedy, I've listed why the remedy may work and the intended effect or the active ingredients.

Vagisil

Though typically thought of as a feminine care product, plenty of cyclists—male and female—use this product. Some use it prophylacticly (intended to prevent sores before they appear), and others use it as a treatment after the saddle sore has appeared.

The active ingredients include benzocaine (local anesthetic and topical pain reliever) and resorcinol (antiseptic, helps reduce the possibility of infection, and disinfectant, kills microorganisms living on substances)

can't wait to see the wife face when I get home with that LOL
2010-07-06 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2963634

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg
camaleon - 2010-07-06 1:41 PM
gts - 2010-07-06 1:37 PM

By Gale Bernhardt

For Active.com

Vagisil

can't wait to see the wife face when I get home with that LOL

Hahaha...no kidding!!!   Let us know what she says!!!   "Honey, can I borrow......"
2010-07-06 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2963540

User image

Elite
get the right saddle and bike fit. I went to prob 3 different fitters and used ten different seats. Finally ended up at Elite in Philly. 3 visits later i can finally bike a century sans chamois cream!
2010-07-07 4:01 PM

User image

New user

I recently developed a saddle sore and riding was unbearable.  Went to the doc yesterday and she drained it (not too painful)...feels great now.  If it persists I would say go to the Doc.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddles Sores - help! Rss Feed