General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Schuylkill River Trail Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-06 11:08 AM

Subject: Schuylkill River Trail
I've been doing a lot of rides on the SRT, usually starting at the Betzwood trailhead, and would like to ride all the way into Philadelphia.  Unfortunately, I keep getting stuck around Manayunk.  It's not that I'm getting too tired, the problem is that I loose the trail and don't know the area well enough to keep going and find the trail again or at least some bicycle friendly roads.  What happens is I get dumped off on Nixon Street, and then take a left of Shawmont and then a right to put me on Umbria St.  Where the trail seems to continue at Nixon Street doesn't look road bike friendly, so I can't take that, but Umbria St. looses its bike lane (and then any type of shoulder) within a mile or so.  I can't imagine that the best/safest way to navigate through Manayunk is through those tight streets with all those parked cars.  So what's the prefered method of getting from Nixon St. to Kelly Drive?

Also, while we are discussing Manayunk, where is "The Wall?"  While I was busy getting lost in Manayunk over the weekend I decided to do a little exploring.  Ended up going up some decent hills, but I don't think I found the infamous Wall.

2010-07-07 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2963379

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Schuylkill River Trail
i hope this link will help you... it gives you detailed maps of where you are going on the trail...
http://www.schuylkillrivertrail.com/index.php?/trail/

as for the wall...
The "Manayunk Wall" is an inclined street, comprising all of Levering Street and a few blocks of Lyceum Avenue, that is a part of the Philadelphia International Championship, an annual one-day bicycle race. It is reputed to be the steepest vertical drop in the city of Philadelphia. The "wall" begins at Main Street in Manayunk and, most years, ends at Pechin Street in Roxborough.
heres a map of it..
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/pa/philadelphia/315125615100046731

2010-07-07 9:00 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
LazyFatDog - 2010-07-06 12:08 PM   I can't imagine that the best/safest way to navigate through Manayunk is through those tight streets with all those parked cars.  So what's the prefered method of getting from Nixon St. to Kelly Drive?

That's my preferred method. I haul a$$ down that last hill on Umbria (still haven't done it on the aero bars) to where the bike lane ends at the stop sign in front on the train station and the beer distributor. I stay on Umbria until it dead ends at Leverington. I make a right there and then a left on Main Street. If I want to go to the river drives, I take Main Street all the way down to Ridge, follow Ridge to Calumet, make a right and there's Kelly Drive/Falls Bridge right there. On weekends you'll see lots of cyclist taking that exact route. Even if you stay on the trail (it does get bumpy and muddy) you'll have to get on Main St eventually since the trail ends down by Human Zoom bike shop.
2010-07-08 9:33 AM

Thanks.  I guess I just need to HTFU and deal with cars.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Schuylkill River Trail Rss Feed