General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shoes or running shoes on bike in sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-07 12:55 PM

User image

Regular
Columbus
Subject: Bike shoes or running shoes on bike in sprint
Hi!  I did a sprint tri 2 years ago before I had clipless pedals so obviously wore my running shoes for the bike portion.

I'm doing my second sprint tri on July 25th and am debating between changing shoes or using my running shoes for both the bike and run.  I have reversible pedals on my hybrid (platform on one side, clipless on the other) that I would have to take off and add to my road bike, since my road bike's clipless don't have a platform.

I am completely comfortable with the clipless pedals except when it comes to mounting - I have to come to a complete stop, make sure the left pedal is all the way down, clip my foot in, bring it up to about 2 o'clock and then start going.  Wondering if just hopping on and going in my running shoes would be easier, and then I wouldn't have to change shoes later.  I am pretty much BOP so a few seconds isn't going to make a difference but curious to see what you all prefer.

2010-07-07 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2966127

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Bike shoes or running shoes on bike in sprint
You could always take the time to practice clipping in...

I mean... you can be faster forever by taking 30minutes to develop a skill...
2010-07-07 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Use clipless. The eggbeaters will beat up your quads more before the run.
2010-07-07 1:20 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I wore my running shoes for my first couple of tri's.  Worked okay, but I realized a world of difference when I finally got some clipless pedals for my bike.  I'd never go back now.

Now I have a pair of tri bike shoes with a single velcro strap and I use Yankz elastic laces in my running shoes, so transitions are easy - I may be BOP out on the course, but my T1 and T2 times are FOP...

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shoes or running shoes on bike in sprint Rss Feed