General Discussion Race Reports! » Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Forest Grove, Oregon
United States
www.racecenter.com/hagglake
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 55/261
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/17
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00 at some cereal and a bananna; packed the car a left. About 75 minute drive. Got there and was able to get set-up right at the end of the row.
Event warmup:

Stretched and swam about 5-7 minutes.
Swim
  • 14m 1s
  • 879 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a good swim. Sighted well and took direct lines to the bouys. Some bumping on early in the race and then caught up in other age groupers. People were swimming and drifting inside the bouylines so not much ability to do any drafting. Wanted to swim a 14:18 - 14:25 which would be a 1:38/100 pace. Swam faster pace so met this goal.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. It was a great swim for me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

It was a good transition. First time with no socks for a race. It was fine. Right after the mounting line is a hill up to the road so was ready for this. Bike in the right gear. Met goal.

Nothing Really.
Bike
  • 39m 49s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 18.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Once I got out on the road people wre slwoing to put theri feet inthe shoes and caused some crowding. Got caught up with a guy who when I went to pass he started pedaling again and right away slowed down again to get his other foot in. The bike leg is very hilly and it was crowded on the road. Going down the hill out right before the toll booth a woman crashed. I was heading up the big hill on my way back in. She took a very bad fall. I saw her after the race and she was collecting her things and had a pretty good attitude about it. She was banged up pretty bad. It looked like it hurt, alot!

Goals was to come in under 40:00 min which I did so met this goal as well. I rode the route about 3 weeks before to do a time trial just to see where I was at and was about 2 min. faster (42:45) than my time last year (44:45) on the same route. So to come in under 40 mins. was an added bonus. My training rides on the hills paid off here.

Pass more on the downhills. Held off some at times. I didn't want to burn out for the run given the hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Did a running dismount and performed it perfectly. Nicked up my bike shoes some as I dismounted and they dragged on the pavement. Nice reason to get a new pair! Missed my bike rack which took 5-10 sec. to figure out where I was at.

I missed my bike rack. Went to far forward and passed it. I knew right were I was and had a marker; it just came so fast. Didn't affect my goal time. My goal as a 1:30 and I met this goal as well.
Run
  • 26m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Those hills really did me in; affected my pace. Had a good kick at the end as usual. Right at the beginning I had a side ache from drinking too much on the bike. Went away on the last half.

I need to run more routes with hills and do some hill work. My next race is the same place with the exact same routes; just a different race. I did beat my time from last year by over 1:27 on the run. Happy about that, but didn't reach my goal for the run portion.
Post race
Warm down:

No much to say here. Basically got my stuff togehter walked around some and tried a Chocolate Muscle Milk (sponsor). Not my cup of tea.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hills on the run. Need to improve my run so I feel like I am not in so much labor out there.

Event comments:

Good race plenty of water and volunteers. Beat my time from last year by over 9 min 12 sec. That is Big! Not the same race but the same exact route. Will do this same route in a race in early Sept. Scoggins Valley.

Last updated: 2009-12-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:01 | 879 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/17
Overall: 43/261
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Sleeveless
Course: Counterclockwise swim. Mass (all 40's yrs. and older) wade start.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:15
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:49 | 12.5 miles | 18.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 69/261
Wind: None
Course: Hilly bike leg.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:00 | 03.11 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 108/261
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back. Three steep hills. One coming right out of transition up to the road. then a down hill and another uphill and down hill and up hill and then it flattens out some; Then you have one less hill on the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-10 6:56 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2010-07-10 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2972878

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Great job and nice RR!  Congrats on beating your goals.
2010-07-12 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2972878

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Fantastic race Brian!
2010-07-12 11:20 PM
in reply to: #2972884

User image

Expert
Salem
Thanks for the Cudo's!!!  Have a month and a half break until next race.  Will take these next three weeks - two of them during vacation to focus on running and some swimming to break it up.  No biking until I get back.  The I'll hit the hills again with the bike with some flats sprinkled in.  Sept. is a big racing month with two sprints (back to back weekends) and 1 Oly.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed