General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fuji TT Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-10 10:22 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Fuji TT Bike
Hello All,
I'm going to get a Fuji TT bike but have no way to get on it before purchasing (in order to size it) .......for multiple reasons.  So-  some people have told me there's no way to size it then and others have said yes you can.  So here are my measurements:
5'6" tall
Inseam is:  30.75 inches (78.1  cm)
I'm pretty confident I need a 52 cm bike but Fuji says:
It is just about impossible to size someone for a bike without them being in front of you on a trainer, so I cannot help you decide if the 52cm is the right size for you.  What I can tell you is that since you are already riding a bike, you should take the key measurements of the bike you own and compare them to the measurements on the D6 that we provide on our website.  Of course you could also get professionally fit by a certified bike fitter...they would tell you what top tube length/stand over would most comfortably suit you and help you make your decision.

I understand what they are saying but I'm just thinking that there's no way a 54 or 56 are going to fit me so ...............that leaves a 52.

What do you say folks?

Thanks in advance,
Y-Tri'er

2010-07-10 10:26 PM
in reply to: #2973041

User image

Subject: RE: Fuji TT Bike
i would say 50.

tri bikes generally run a few sizes smaller then your road bike.

I ride a 54cm I am 6 foot inseam of 32.

It is hard to tell because of the reach is different. Measure out your road bike.
See how far it is from the seat to where your hands are (in aero mode)
then see where your elbows are.
My elbows on my TT bike sit a little behind the front stem.

Or the best choice would be to find a dealer and just size it there! 
2010-07-10 10:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI

I am 5'7" and ride a 54" Felt B12 and 54" Trek 1500. Ultimately, a tri bike is about comfort in aero and overall fit.  
A couple of ideas: ??t?r?y? ?going to a LBS and finding a bike with similar proportions and measurements and seeing how you fit on it on the diffent sizes??,? ?o????take your current bike into the to a fitting to make sure you are properly fitted on your current ride and see how that would compare to the measurements on a 52 or 54 Fuji. Good luck!

2010-07-12 9:20 AM

New user
Crystal Lake
My LBS says that he has a hard time fitting people on Fuji's because the reach is wierd.  I would suggest riding or being fitted on Fuji.  Otherwise you might be spending more money on stem's etc to get the correct fitting.
2010-07-12 9:56 AM

Veteran
Y-Tri - 2010-07-10 10:22 PM Hello All,
I'm going to get a Fuji TT bike but have no way to get on it before purchasing (in order to size it) .......for multiple reasons.  So-  some people have told me there's no way to size it then and others have said yes you can.  So here are my measurements:
5'6" tall
Inseam is:  30.75 inches (78.1  cm)
I'm pretty confident I need a 52 cm bike but Fuji says:
It is just about impossible to size someone for a bike without them being in front of you on a trainer, so I cannot help you decide if the 52cm is the right size for you.  What I can tell you is that since you are already riding a bike, you should take the key measurements of the bike you own and compare them to the measurements on the D6 that we provide on our website.  Of course you could also get professionally fit by a certified bike fitter...they would tell you what top tube length/stand over would most comfortably suit you and help you make your decision.

I understand what they are saying but I'm just thinking that there's no way a 54 or 56 are going to fit me so ...............that leaves a 52.

What do you say folks?

Thanks in advance,
Y-Tri'er

Try the fit calculator on wrenchscience. com it will give you good idea of what size bike to get.
2010-07-25 12:29 PM

I ride a Fuji TT aloha 2.0 52. I am 5'8" and had to  change out the stem to a smaller one per pro fit.. Bike fits great now.. also I have a 31 inseam .. I would go w the 50

2010-07-25 6:39 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
I am 5'7 with a 30 inch inseem and I rode a Motobeccan Nemisis same frame as the Fuji aloha 1 from a few years ago it was a 52 and it was a good fit. You need your stand over height stand bare foot up to a wall and mark the spot where your crotch is the best way to to put a book between your legs pushed up to the wall so you do not have an angle then use that measurement from the floor to the top of the book.  I have a Fuji Pro team road bike too and love it.
2010-07-29 10:47 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
It can be scary ordering a bike without trying it out first.  You are almost certainly correct that at 5'6" H / 30.75" I.S. a 54cm or 56cm are too big. I think your decision should be between a 50cm or 52cm frame.
I would start with a more detailed measure - try Competative Cyclist's Triathlon bike fit calculator. http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO&INTRO_LINK=NOREDIR&SITE.CODE=TRI
It will ask you for quite a few body measurements and will give you a better idea of the range for the Effective Top Tube length & saddle to bottom bracket (effectively the stack & reach). Compare this with the geometry of the Fuji D6 models to see which fits closer.
Remember that if in doubt or in-beteween sizes, go with the smaller size. You can always make a smaller frame work (add a 10mm longer stem, slightly longer seatpost) but its hard to make do with a frame that is too big.

2010-07-30 10:51 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Unfortunately, your measurements are only one part of the equation to what size (and geometry for that matter) that suites you. Flexibility comes into play, previous or current injuries/problems, distances you intend to ride, even the typography where you will ride needs to be considered.

A professional fitter should be able to give you a fairly good overview of what geometrical numbers you need to look for when buying a frame. Even with that in hand, I wouldn't buy a frame online without having a chance to test ride it first...

... but it's your money and if you're willing to take a chance (or have too much of it), then go ahead.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fuji TT Bike Rss Feed