United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 44s
Overall Rank = 6/169
Age Group = M4049
Age Group Rank = 2/32
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15, had coffee and peanut butter sandwich. Got there early to get close parking and just wandered around and chatted. Nice to actually know some people at one of these! Transition area was tight and people's bikes were not alternating directions, so spaec was difficult to manage. Tried to help first timers without sounding like a know-it-all.
Event warmup:

Stretched and did a little swimming.
Swim
  • 05m 19s
  • 402 meters
  • 01m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swam well - got in a perfect spot behind and outside of a good swimmer and followed. Waves were by race number, so lots of slower swimmers to pass, but didnt have any issue with bumping.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - good line, good swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Felt slow, but time was ok. Struggled getting socks on (again) - need to ride barefoot in shoes.

No socks.
Bike
  • 35m 55s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Perhaps my fastest bike ever - I felt great and gave it all I had. A bit clumsy out of the start getting feet set, but then I flew. Tried to keep pace with a couple of "real" bikers. Very pleased.

Nothing except improve my start.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Almost wiped out while running with my bike - almost missed the gate into transition! What a spaz! Got running shoes on fast and got going. TOre my race number from one of the holders on my belt, so had to tuck it into the belt to keep it from flapping.

Watch where I'm going. Dont tear the number.
Run
  • 25m 33s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt ok - passed 2 and got passed by 1 (the eventual winner). Slower than past 5k's but perhaps the hill was a factor.

Shouls have averaged 8min miles at least.
Post race
Warm down:

Couldn't beleive how high I finished, so kind of basked in the glory! Got som water and cleaned up my area. Cheered on others for awhile. I stayed for the awards and found out they only gave for #1 in age, so I missed out. Oh well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Think I could have done a faster run - havent trained as much in recent weeks.

Event comments:

Good local race in my hometown. Good volunteers and set up. Great venue for a race.

Last updated: 2010-03-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:19 | 402 meters | 01m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 11/169
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts & shirt
Course: Horseshoe/triangle from left to right. Temporary (small) bouy put out farther into the lake at the "point" to avoid a weedy patch.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:55 | 12 miles | 20.05 mile/hr
Overall: 7/169
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Loop with twist at the end - took a right up a nasty 18 degree climb which many people ended up walking the bike.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:33 | 03.1 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Overall: 11/169
Performance: Average
Course: Around the lake. Long up hill in the middle with a sharp downhill (was an up hill for the bike), then a flat to the finish.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-11 4:41 PM

User image

Connecticut
Subject: Ellington Sprint Triathlon

2010-07-20 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2973758

Regular
Somers CT
Subject: RE: Ellington Sprint Triathlon
Don't get down on yourself on that run time.  I drove the course and clocked it on the car odometer and it is 3.4 miles, not 3.1, so you did even better than you thought.  Nice race, 20 mph average on that course on the bike is respectable.  You are probably wondering like me what it would have been without Minor Hill...
2010-07-20 7:35 PM
in reply to: #2992889

User image

Connecticut
Subject: RE: Ellington Sprint Triathlon
Interesting - I thought I was running at a good pace, so thank you for that information.  Honestly, I didnt mind that hill on the bike, but it seems like a killer for many people - I dont think its good to have so many people walking their bikes in the middle of a triathlon.  I disliked it more when I was running down it - thought my knee was going to blow out! 

I guess the hill is the unique thing about this race though.  I am glad to have a race in my home town, so no complaints!  I know the guys who organized it would have like to competed, so I really do appreciate their effort and dedication.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ellington Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed