General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Mountain Man Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-12 4:48 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Mountain Man Triathlon : Official Thread
I'm trying to sort out my nutrition plan on the bike leg of the Mountain Man half-iron.  I'm planning on bringing 2 bottles and grabbing one at the bike aid station. Has anyone raced this course last year? Is there only one bike aid station?

2010-07-22 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2976152

User image

, Arizona
Subject: RE: Mountain Man Triathlon : Official Thread
Slidell4life - 2010-07-12 2:48 PM I'm trying to sort out my nutrition plan on the bike leg of the Mountain Man half-iron.  I'm planning on bringing 2 bottles and grabbing one at the bike aid station. Has anyone raced this course last year? Is there only one bike aid station?

I emailed Eddie about aid station and the like, here is his response:

One aid station and potty on the bike which you pass twice.
Water every 1.5 m on the run. Two potties on the run equally distant.

2010-08-05 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2976152

User image

New user

I rode this 1/2 IM last year and yes there is only one water point, but like mentioned already, you do pass it twice.  Last year I noted the following issues with this water point.  The volunteers may not have been briefed very well at how to hand out water to cyclists.  Some of my fellow athletes experienced them being stiffed armed and not moving a little with the cyclist attempting to grab water.  Thus making many more dropped bottles and some cyclists feeling like they were clothes lined.  Also in my opinion, the water point was too close to the bottom of the one major downhill.  Many of us were at speed when coming into it, which meant either losing some of your downhill speed in order to get into and out of the station safely.  My first time by the water station there were so many dropped bottles, I avoided it completely.  Fortunately I had enough on board.  Hope this helps....  Have a great race!

Edited by TriQroo 2010-08-05 10:08 AM
2010-08-05 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3025006

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
TriQroo - 2010-08-05 8:04 AM I rode this 1/2 IM last year and yes there is only one water point, but like mentioned already, you do pass it twice.  Last year I noted the following issues with this water point.  The volunteers may not have been briefed very well at how to hand out water to cyclists.  Some of my fellow athletes experienced them being stiffed armed and not moving a little with the cyclist attempting to grab water.  Thus making many more dropped bottles and some cyclists feeling like they were clothes lined.  Also in my opinion, the water point was too close to the bottom of the one major downhill.  Many of us were at speed when coming into it, which meant either losing some of your downhill speed in order to get into and out of the station safely.  My first time by the water station there were so many dropped bottles, I avoided it completely.  Fortunately I had enough on board.  Hope this helps....  Have a great race!

Thanks for the info!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Mountain Man Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed