General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman/Half-Ironman Nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-12 6:14 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman/Half-Ironman Nutrition
For Clydes going long, curious to know how much you drink, calories downed and salt/electrolyte replacement, and most significantly, how you arrived at your mix. Done an couple of halves, but never well. 6'4" and 245. Thanks.

2010-07-12 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2976331

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman/Half-Ironman Nutrition
I did a half IM two weeks ago.  5'9 and 188 (athena), and am training for my first IM.  I think I have the Half IM nutrition down, my plan worked out great.  It was a very warm day (40C with the humidity) and I sweat a lot.

took in 3 bottles of eload, two packets of sports beans and a bottle of infinit (and another of water - I find it too sweet) on the bike.  The race drink was infinit - I don't like infinit much but knew my stomach could handle it.  I also took salt tabs at the beginning of the ride and one each at around 1 hr, and 2.5 hours (biggish tabs).  So total cals in were around 800 cals and I was riding for around 3:12.

On the run I just took in water and infinit, one cup of each (2-3 oz) at each aid station (~2 km or at my pace around 13-14 minutes).  tried a banana and pretzels as I forgot my salt tabs in transition and they didn't agree with me.

i didn't bonk in the race at all, just felt a little sick for a few km from the pretzels and banana.

My IM nutrition plan will probably be similar, but I will drink Powerade performance (hopefully if it agrees with me - I just need to figure out if they ship to Canada) instead of eload/infinit.  Probably at around the same rate, maybe a little less if it isn't as hot.  If powerade doesn't work with me, I will bring eload packets with me and mix along the way (they have packets for 1 serving that would be easy enough to carry with me during the race.
2010-07-12 7:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Edmonton, AB
That sounds about right, I take a bottle of gatorade and a bottle of water every 10 miles on the bike and on the run I'd take a cup of water, gatorade and cola. I'm a big dude at 280 and I'm a pretty heavy sweater but I didn't have a single problem at all in my HIM.

As for shipping to Canada I know that Nytro out of California will ship. I bought Gatorade endurance when I was there and asked about getting further stuff in the future.
2010-07-13 3:11 PM

User image

Expert
CenTex
In 3 of the 4 HIM's I've done, I've used eLoad and Gu to get by and done well.  (The 4th I ran out of fluid and made the mistake of trying to use the race drink, Gatorade Endurance, to supplement nutrition.  Big time GI issues for me, but that's another story.)

I'm 7 weeks out from my 1st IM, Louisville, and have been using Infinit with much success.  I've also used the course drink on several long rides to make sure it agrees with my stomach.  (I can't recall the name of the drink but it's the new IM-branded drink by one of the gel manufacturers.)  For nutrition, I also use Gu.  I will sometimes eat a Clif Bar but only if I'm really hungry and the Gu's aren't cutting it.

I take in ~350 calories an hour on a bike ride: 250 in fluid, 100 in Gu.  I will supplement with water as I am a heavy sweater and need a lot of fluids to replace water lost.

Vitals: 6'5", 240lbs.
2010-07-19 11:08 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
I've just finished a half and have a full in less then 2 months.

I try and stay on the conservative side because I know of so many people getting sick at longer events.

275/hr bike (12 oz Infinite 1/2 cliff bar) + .5 to 1 bottle nuun water (depending on heat)
200/hr run (1 Gu every 30mins) + water + saltpills (depending on heat)

So far so good I'm considering bumping up to 300/hr.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman/Half-Ironman Nutrition Rss Feed