Musselman Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 38m 53s
Overall Rank = 586/794
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 51/67
Pre-race routine:

Normal breakfast of cereal, coffee and water. After setting up transition, met up with Mike (marmadaddy) and Dudley (dexter) for a bit. Rob (ridgelake) was there also, but didn't get much chance to chat.
Event warmup:

Just walking to and from transition and then to lake.
Swim
  • 42m 44s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt pretty good for the first half of the swim, I felt I was moving along pretty good and at a comfortable pace. The contact this year seemed to be quite heavy. It really didn't seem to matter where I was either, both hugging the bouy line and out away just seemed to get swatted a lot.

The canal started to slow me down, the water temp climbed quite a bit and the smell of the water just turned my stomach. Seemed to go on forever.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work more on my swimming.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

I really thought I had a good T1, was hoping to go under 2 minutes.

I'm not sure, just keep practicing I guess. I really didn't stop moving other than to get the wetsuit off.
Bike
  • 3h 16m 52s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I have really tried to focus on my bike this season and I fully expected to be closer to 3 hours than this. Several reasons why I beleive. First I lost a couple of minutes stopping at the wrong aid station to hit the porto potty. Lost 2 or 3 minutes waiting for the lone PP to open up. Going down the hill towards Cayuga Lake I got stung by 2 different bees, the pain didn't help me focus for a couple of miles. The bite on my neck was quite painful. The other problem I beleive was the loss of appetite after the swim. I can usually eat and drink fairly well on the bike, but it was a constant effort to keep up with the nutrition. The canal water soured my stomach and I never really recovered from it.

Over all the ride was 12 minutes better than last year, which I was pleased with. I still lose too much time to stronger riders in the first 10 - 12 miles where it is a very slight up hill, almost a false flat.

The ride itself is on a beautiful course. I enjoy this ride, other than maybe the climb from Cayuga Lake back to 96A, not because of the hills, which are a challenge, it is more that the road is just plain rough and in dire need of repaving.

My average power for the ride was 175 which is right where I wanted it to be, ~80%.

Not swallow so much water during the swim and continue to increase the bike volume and intensity. The other thing that may have been a factor is that most of my training has been on my road bike. I think in the future that several weeks of riding at least half of the time on the tri bike will be required if that is the bike I am going to race it. This may have prevented some of the lower back tenderness I experienced.
Transition 2
  • 03m 36s
Comments:

Never have figured out how to get socks on quicker.
Run
  • 2h 33m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out feeling ok, not great but pretty good considering it wasn't a stand alone run. The goal was 9 minute miles, which by all accounts my training indicated this was doable at least until the couple of tough hills. Once I left the shade of the park I could feel my stomach and chest tighten up. Hit the first aid station, took some water and ice. I had a bottle of Gatorade Endurance that I had been trying to drink. Stomach starting to revolt and doesn't want anything. Water is ok, ice and sponge helps.
I walk a bit to try and settle down, hoping that I start feeling better by cooling off and getting the HR in check. After getting to the top of the short hill where you can either take the stairs or go through the lawn I start running again. Feel a little better when I see a guy in the lawn literally projectile vomitting, at least it hasn't gotten that bad. Start to overheat again and the tightness returns. Walk, run, walk run and repeat. Trying to take in some fluids, but mostly frustrated that the legs feel like running and the stomach ache and chest tightness just keeps from doing so. Run the down hills, and try to run the flats. Jamie comes by on the bike and tells me Dudley is ahead of me by 8 to 10 minutes, so I try and run. By now I am at the top of the worse hill, I am having a nice conversation with a couple of ladies from the 60 - 64 age group that started in the wave after me! Both Ironmen from last year.

By mile 8 or 9 the lack of proper nutrition has moved to the muscles as the feet and lower legs start cramping. The 2 things motivating me at this point is the thought that the faster I move the sooner it will be over and at least the chance of beating last years time!! I manage to shuffle my way in under by a couple of minutes!!

I need to figure out the things that did in this run. In no particular order the following things need to be addressed.
Swim volume
bike volume
bike nutrition
avoiding bee stings
heat of the day runs
run volume
Post race
Warm down:

Layed down next to a tree contemplating why I do these! Dudley saved the day with a nice cold soda to sip from!

Spent some time with Dudley and Mike. Mike came in a little behind me but he was gaining!! I am glad I didn't know he was coming that close or he knew how close he was to catching me or we both would have wound up in the med tent!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think there are some training issues that I need to address, but mostly I think my nutrition strategy, that has worked in the past let me down some and I didn't execute it as well as I should have. I don't know if the bee stings had an impact or not.

Event comments:

After last year I wanted revenge. I was poorly trained and deserved the time I got and I was mad at myself for not being better prepared. I am disappointed in the outcome this year, but not mad at myself. There were some mistakes I made and I do want to figure this race out and reach my goals, but although I could have and maybe should have done more, I was much better trained this year.

This is a good race, local for me (I think) and I will be back!!

Last updated: 2009-12-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:44 | 2112 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 41/67
Overall: 583/794
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Rectangle in lake followed by a finish in the canal.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:26
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:16:52 | 56 miles | 17.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 48/67
Overall: 548/794
Wind: Little
Course: Around the hills and farms between Seneca Lake and Cayuga Lake
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:36
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:33:24 | 13.1 miles | 11m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 57/67
Overall: 607/794
Performance: Bad
Course: Hilly loop through Geneva
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-07-13 1:31 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

2010-07-13 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2978177

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

That was a tough, tough race you had.  Bee stings?  Yikes!  I would have been in the med tent needing benadryl.  Glad that wasn't worse.

The heat also was a major factor.  I could feel it climbing on the bike.  It had to be really really bad on the run. 

You persevered and got it done.  Maybe not full revenge, but it was improvement!

Hope we get the chance to catch up soon.

2010-07-13 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Ken, sounds like a tough race but the important thing is that you stayed with it and learned a lot from it.  All info and lessons that you can apply as you move forward toward your IM.  Way to persevere.
2010-07-13 5:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Way to stick it out! Sounds like a tough race especially with the bee stings but you pushed through and did it!
2010-07-13 5:43 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Way to HTFU and finish!  Wow.....icky water at the swim finish (I seem to recall this comment last year, guess that crosses Musselman off the maybe one day races!), bee stings....and a sufferfest hot run combined with funky nutrition issues.  Yep, that qualifies as a HTFU finish.
2010-07-13 9:18 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Sounds like you had a tough day.  That smell in the canal was pretty strong.  Nice job on beating last year in tough conditions.

2010-07-13 10:07 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
KEn you looked like road kill sitting against the tree.  Nice job bringing it home for sure.  No charge for Coke.  Really I was very close to dragging you to the med tent except my quads hurt to much. 
2010-07-14 7:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Sunny Binghamton
Nice work Ken and thanks for the interesting read! Great meeting you in person on Saturday too. You had quite a few obstacles to overcome and persevered. Do you have any other 70.3's planned for this year? I have spoken to quite a few people that complained about the canal and say they won't be back. Luckily I can't smell all that well so it didn't bother me too much on Saturday. I had loads of contact during my swim as well....lots of bodies in a narrow body of water.
I've found that I need to have different goals coming into each race depending on what the day brings.....and that those goals can change midrace as well. I think in the longer races it's definitely important for your mental and physical well being to be flexible in your plan. Swallowing water, bee stings, heat, etc. all combined to throw a wrech into your plans. I had what I thought were realistic goals going into my 70.3 but I didn't quite have it on the bike and as for the run...I thought I could mail it in but my legs said otherwise. It happens but we continue, smile and finish. Good on ya' mate!
2010-07-14 1:54 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

It sounds like you perservered through a very tough day!  The smell in the water would have done me in.  I had to laugh at the comment about questioning "why I do these things". I think that quite often.  Good job!

2010-07-14 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
You should be pleased with your performance considering everything.  I think the canal water was the root cause of most of your issues.  Since you couldn't take in the nutrition you needed it effected everything.  Too bad they can't change the swim course to avoid this gross water.  That's (one of) my excuses for not doing this race.  Swimming in a canal sounds downright disgusting.  Tongue out
Excellent job!!
2010-07-15 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston

Ken way to persevere under some really tough conditions. Agree the canal water undoubtedly set the dominoes tumbling for the rest of the day (not getting calories needed) for a very tough race. You did your best, hope you can feel some satisfaction with that in later on and a PR to boot.

2010-07-15 11:44 AM

User image

Expert

Great job under adverse conditions!  And it's also wonderful that you are able to look back so objectively to think about what to improve for next year.  That water was pretty knarly, and would set any stomach off (and bee stings can affect the GI tract as well, so that could contribute!). 

2010-07-15 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2978757

Expert
calimavs - 2010-07-13 6:18 PM Way to stick it out! Sounds like a tough race especially with the bee stings but you pushed through and did it!

^^^THIS!
You HTFU and got it done
2010-07-16 6:02 AM

User image

Expert
Well done sucking it up and finishing a tough run. It's an awful feeling when your stomach shuts down like that, but you pushed through it. Boy, Lake Seneca is not your friend, is it? Hope we both get back there next year so I can see you kick this course's a$$!!
2010-07-17 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Ken
Don't be too hard on yourself.  Your training has been amazing this year (well maybe not the swim   ) and you most certainly deserved a better bike split than that.  It does sound to me that it may be linked to nutrition which was messed up right from the swim and mix in the heat of the day and kaboom!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed