General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Baltimore Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-13 2:46 PM

New user

Subject: Moving to Baltimore
I'm about to move back to the Baltimore area and was wondering about some of the triathlon groups and where they train as it will likely impact my apartment search.  I'd prefer to be in or around Towson / Hunt Valley, but would also consider some other places as well including Columbia.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

How active are the Baltimore area groups?  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Where are some of the best places to ride? swim? What about OWSs?

I'm currently living in Dallas and there are a few Tri groups that train 3-4x a week w/ groups rides, runs, and the occasional OWS.  I'm just wondering if there is a similar Tri scene in Baltimore.   Thanks.

2010-07-13 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2978407

User image

Pro
Burbs
Subject: RE: Moving to Baltimore
Welcome back to Charm City!

Mid Maryland Tri is based in Columbia and has a very active tri group. There are R/B/R bricks on Wednesday's after work, OWS at Sandy Point, and an awesome tent with good food at the big events in the area (at the last race we had pit beef BBQ and freshly made smoothies ).

OWS = there is a BT group that meets up (used to meet up?) at Sandy Point -- the "beach" at the Bay. I know some people swim at Gunpowder but I've never done that.

Ride = the Columbia Tri course (25 miles, very hilly!) is popular. If you want to go flat and long, the Eastern Shore (about 45 min-90 min, depending on how east) is a good place to ride.
2010-07-14 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2978407

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Moving to Baltimore
There are also tri clubs in Annapolis (not sure of name, but the crab is their mascot) and Baltimore (BATS), though not as Active as Mid Maryland Tri from what I garner.  Annapolis striders is a very active running group if you're looking for group runs.  Several of us on this forum meet semi-regularly for group trail runs in Patapsco Valley State Park, especially in the off-season. 

If you live in Towson you'll also be a short drive away from one of the best local running places... the NCR trail.  Miles and miles and miles of flat, hard packed cinders through some beautiful forested areas... much of it running along a stream.  Want some hills... turn left or right at any of the intersecting roads and be prepared to suck wind.

I believe the Columbia and Ellicott City area just ranked number 2 overall in terms of best places to live in the United States according to some famous ranking.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Baltimore Rss Feed