General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo Diet interest Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-13 5:02 PM

Subject: Paleo Diet interest
I'm interested in weight loss results from following the Paleo Plan. Anyone wanna share?

From first glance, I'm a little worried about the amount of protein in the diet. (Since reading The China Study, I'm a bit of a protein phob!) I'd love to hear about your experiences and thoughts on the 'diet'.
I'm picking up the book tomorrow from the library to have a further look!

Thanks!

2010-07-14 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2978735

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California
Subject: RE: Paleo Diet interest
Read the book as you will get a lot of information there.  I would also read The Zone Diet.  While they are not the same, they are reasonably close and have a lot of the same philosophy.  There are several VERY informative threads on Paleo in the Nutrition forum and I would look over those. 

I pretty much follow Paleo, but I very seldom stray further than Zone.  I believe in it.  I do eat more carbs than either would really go for, but I am training for an Ironman and feel like I need them.  However, I get 99% of my carbs from vegetables and fruit.  No grain, bread, pasta, corn or potatoes (OK.  I confess.  I do eat sweet potato fries.
2010-07-15 2:37 PM

Regular
Artesia, NM
What was the China study's main highlight or finding? Just curious, im trying 40/30/30 but have upped my protein to meet my goal. Still not adapted totally and feeling more gassed now than normally.
2010-07-30 10:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
I've been following the Paleo Diet for about 6 months and really like it.  I read the original book and the one for athletes.  The one for athletes is necessary if you are training b/c it has some specific info about nutrition before, during, and after training and races.

Since starting I've lot about 19 pounds (from 177 to 158).  My BMI index went from overweight to "normal".  I tried to lose weight using other methods and none worked well for me until this. 
2010-07-31 8:16 PM

china study proposed that there is a direct connection between the consumption of protein and out of control cellular growth (cancer).

very interesting, and as far as i'm concerned, a much better argument and more solid data than i've found in the paleo diet book. i recommend reading it, if only out of curiosity!

2010-07-31 9:02 PM

New user

I've read hundreds of reviews on The China Study.  Both from everyday Joe's and from respected scientists.

Personally, I think the presentation is biased, as is the science.  But each person has to do their own research and make their own decisions.

I try to follow a pseudo paleo way of eating.

In the research I've done, it seems that your best bet is get the highest quality animal protein you can find/afford.  For instance, I'll only eat beef from grass fed cows.  I won't touch the stuff that comes from the feed lot cows.

I buy my eggs at the farmer's market from pastured chickens.  I drink raw milk from a local creamery.

If I didn't have these items available to me, I'd probably be a vegetarian.  I'm lucky in that I live in an area where these items are not only easy to come by, but they are reasonably priced. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo Diet interest Rss Feed