Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Bike
  • 00m
  • 75 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

It was quite cold at the start, but warmed up quickly and we were shedding clothes by the first 'stop'

From there it was a fabulous ride. Easy and rolling into Taos. One of our guys wasn't feeling well so we rode pretty easy. There were four of us just riding together and riding easy. Next thing we know we've picked up a peleton and are pulling about 10 other riders. Fun, although we had to visit with a couple about riding in a group. We missed the rest stop in Taos, in favor of finding a rest room for our sick friend. The rest stop in Taos requires crossing traffic and was not well marked. Anyway we didn't realize that the next one was a good 2.5 hours up a long, long climb. Anyway we stopped about 1/2 way up and rested and grabbed something out of bento boxes to eat.

By the time we reached Angel fire the clouds were building. By the time we reached the turn around it was starting to rain - COLD! When we got back to Angel Fire it was starting to hail. We took shelter in the local real estate office. The folks there were so friendly and we sheltered there for probably almost an hour, then heard they had cancled the ride and were sagging everyone out. 4 inches of hail on the road!

Great ride, just wish the weather had cooperated a little better.

I'm definitely going back next year to finish this one!
What would you do differently?:

Ride faster earlier. Not miss the rest stop in Taos. Keep moving.

But part of our slowness was by choice to stay with a sick team mate - a choice I'll make every time.
Post race
Warm down:

Drink hot tea in the real estate office.

Event comments:

If you do this one be sure to find the rest stop in Taos. -- Even if it means going back. It's before the turn in Taos on the left hand side of the road. Kit Carson Park. Watch for traffic!

Last updated: 2009-08-22 12:00 AM
Biking
00:00:00 | 75 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Fabulous scenic route that goes from Red River to Taos to Angel Fire, then a little out and back to the south, then back to Red River. There's lot of climbing on this one!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-07-14 1:20 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Subject: Cyclefest Tour and Hill Climb

2010-07-14 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2980783

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Cyclefest Tour and Hill Climb
{{{MELON PRESS}}}

Great job!

Ever since we virtually rode together (do you remember that? it's in my logs ...) ... I think of you every time I ride.

What a lovely one for you! I love the idea of cutting a climb with a bento box.

And staying with a sick teammate.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cyclefest Tour and Hill Climb Rss Feed