General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoulder injury prevention Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-14 2:15 PM

New user

Subject: Shoulder injury prevention

As a lifelong freestyle swimmer, I found I began having a lot of shoulder problems once I hit my early 20s. Apparently a combination of bad posture and not doing backstroke to even out my shoulders were the culprits. I've beeen doing internal and external rotator cuffs with stretch cords ever since to sort it out.

Just curious to see what others out there are doing to prevent this same type of injury, which I found to be quite common among my swimming-only friends.

2010-08-02 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2980970

User image

Regular
Boston area
Subject: RE: Shoulder injury prevention
I developed shoulder problems from swimming that I'm just now recovered from.  My PT had me do quite a few exercises to strengthen my shoulder muscles and make the joint more stable. Note, part of my problem was a hypermobile joint.  That may/may not be your problem.  But either way it can't hurt to strengthen the shoulder muscle.  Oh, and when sitting/standing, try to pull your shoulders down and back.  This is a better position for them.

Here's a list of the exercises:

Internal/external rotator cuff

Side and forward shoulder raises - straight arm, hand never goes higher than shoulder

Y T I exercises on an exercise ball.  Google y t i exercise to see what these are.

Side and prone planks - they work your core and your shoulders!  And they're hard.

Also, I've abandoned doing the conventional swimming shoulder warm up (windmills, etc).  Now I do an active shoulder warmup I found at this website:
 http://www.sportsmed.org/tabs/patienteducation/Downloads/Swimming%20stretches.pdf

I hope this helps!
2010-09-14 9:25 AM

I had some similar issues from being a pitcher all growing up then through HS and College.  After my 3rd shuolder separation I started getting more serious and haven't had any more problems.  As often as possible I try to do the following exercises:

- side and front raises with elastic bands

- side and front raises with light weights (stay around 10 pounds and go SLOW)

- Lat Pulls to start off at lightweight and worked my way up to pull-ups (works back of shoulder)

- internal and external rotator cuff pulls either with elastic band or light weight pulley machine

- arm circles (start very small and gradually get bigger) with palms up

- light-ish weight curl to press while standing (works front of shoulder, top, and makes you use your back for support)
2010-09-21 5:00 PM

User image

Huntsville, TX
This series by Eric Cressey (strength coach, mostly works with baseball players and super knowledgeable about shoulder issues) is great for overall shoulder health. It's long, but worth the read.

Shoulder Savers Pt. 1
Shoulder Savers Pt. 2
Shoulder Savers Pt. 3  

Edited by apachhe 2010-09-21 5:01 PM
2011-06-23 3:58 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Good advice here, and you can't go wrong with what Eric Cressey recommends as he has worked with pitchers.

I personally like the Cuban press (this video calls it the Cuban rotation).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcQogAS5638&feature=fvwrel
2011-07-11 7:30 AM
in reply to: #3564531

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

MikeTheBear - 2011-06-23 4:58 PM Good advice here, and you can't go wrong with what Eric Cressey recommends as he has worked with pitchers. I personally like the Cuban press (this video calls it the Cuban rotation). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcQogAS5638&feature=fvwrel  

I'm curious, Mike.  I've always done that exercise with a press at the top of the rotation, but the video only shows the rotation phase of the exercise with no press, and you mention about the name difference.  Do you personally usually do it with or without the press at the top?

BTW, I'm a fan of this exercise too.

Edited by TriMyBest 2011-07-11 7:31 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoulder injury prevention Rss Feed