United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 45m 5s
Overall Rank = 11/176
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/17
Pre-race routine:

This event offers an Olympic and a Sprint distance race. I chose the sprint race because it is a 500m swim/40k bike/5k run. There are not a lot of races with a longer bike with a shorter swim and run.

Rode with Pat and we got there plenty early. Actually set up went really smooth for me today. Breakfast was banana, yogurt, cereal, and then granola bar about an hour before race along with 1/2 a gatorade.
Event warmup:

Chatted with tri-peeps. Oly started in waves at 7, sprint at 7:30, so no swim warmup.
Swim
  • 10m 42s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Out to the right around blue buoy and back. Keep buoys on your left, repeat KEEP BUOYS ON YOUR LEFT. We'll get back to that.

Started towards the front and in the mix. Wanted to get as much of a mass start practice as possible. Well I got it. Was crowded. I was smacking feet and getting smacked all the way to the buoy. Tried to stay right, but kept getting pushed to the left. Barely made it inside the sight buoy.

Went around the buoy with Ed. Headed in, breathing every stroke on right side and looking into the sun. Sighted on the swim exit balloon. Swimming along, feeling good, and all of a sudden look up and I'm in the middle of the wave swimming out. Yep, going the wrong way in traffic. I quickly side paddle and say a bunch of "Sorry Fella's."

Head in, up the ramp, and up the hill to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Find some open water and get more into "my stroke" breathing bilaterally, which I think is faster for me. Not swim into oncoming traffic.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

No issues here other than a LONG run with my bike in my bike shoes.

Maybe for a long T1 like this, I should leave my shoes clipped in and run barefoot. Would be faster, but also uncomfortable for my PF.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 7s
  • 26.09 miles
  • 23.68 mile/hr
Comments:

This is the reason I signed up for this race. Hit the bike hard from the start. Out against a little wind made for a promising return. Course was a little hillier than I expected, but concentrated on keeping the effort high. I wanted just less than a TT effort on the bike.

I'm happy with this bike result. I did get passed twice. Once by a very tall guy on a white Trek (not sure if he was Oly or Sprint racer) and I got passed by Doug Rosen. I was hoping to not get passed by him until the run. I wasn't happy about that, but did pass Ryan Case (to be fair, Ryan averaged 22.9 and was racing the Oly and ran just over 6 min miles, I'd take 22.9mph if I could run 6:30 miles for a Sprint).

Sometime, maybe, take it easy on the bike to see if I can run faster after. But, ........................

Also, I need to play the lotto, so I can get some wheels. I suffer greatly from wheel envy at these races.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Again, no issues. Long run to bike rack, short run to run out.

Can't think of anything
Run
  • 25m 59s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty even paced run. The heat got to me a little at the end. I feel strong running, just have no "go." Just not running "free" or "loose." Make any sense? Used water at the aid stations to dump on my head to try to cool down. I was very happy at the turn around that I was racing the sprint and didn't have to continue to run out farther. :) No finish kick for me. I had already spent what I had.

A winter of Gary Cates' run training will help with my run times. Right now everything is still geared toward IMWI, ie: no speedwork.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk, Talk, Cheer, Eat.....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IM training and heat.

Event comments:

Another great race put on by the Tri-Sharks. The only thing I'd change is the Sprint swim. I don't care for out and back swims (but that may have more to do with my inability to swim straight :))

Last updated: 2010-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:42 | 547 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 43/176
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out and back, keep buoys to your left.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:07 | 26.09 miles | 23.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/17
Overall: 4/176
Performance: Good
5 mile splits: (12:43) 23.6 (13:04) 23.0 (12.54) 23.2 (12:10) 24.7 (12:26) 24.1
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back with a square at the end. No big hills, but quite a few long inclines or false flats. Some rough spots and a little gravel.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:59 | 03.11 miles | 08m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/17
Overall: 50/176
Performance: Average
Mile 1: 8:04 Mile 2: 8:19 Mile 3: 8:37
Course: Out and back, couple of inclines, but no hills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-17 3:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Subject: Evergreen Lake Sprint Triathlon

2010-07-17 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2987178

User image

Master
Dirt Road
Subject: RE: Evergreen Lake Sprint Triathlon
Nice job on your race. Excellent bike. 
2010-07-19 5:12 PM

User image

Regular
congrats I bow down to you as the victor of the battle at Lake Evergreen score (3-2) by the narrowest margins. LOL Great job Chris.
2010-07-20 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice job.....wow well over 23 on the bike nice with that headwind and the hills on the way out...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Evergreen Lake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed