United States
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m 16s
Overall Rank = 23/176
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/17
Pre-race routine:

A little different routine today as I drove myself to a race - I know right? Up at 3:30 a.m. - bowl of oatmeal, banana, coffee and water. Met rest of T3 contingent at BP to caravan to race site (4:30 a.m.). Arrived at race site around 5:30 - packet pick-up, chatted with RD Colleen Klein - hit the head a few times - set up transition and walked around talking with folks. Was nice to have a little wait between Oly and Sprint start - was a different perspective.
Event warmup:

Not much - a little stretching and just taking in raceday atmosphere.
Swim
  • 11m 59s
  • 550 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt pretty good on the swim actually..............I know the time isn't always reflective here with the long run up to transition and the slick ramp getting out of the water, but it felt like a good swim to me with the exception of some sighting issues.
What would you do differently?:

Start more to the middle/right - stayed in the mix a while - starting to like that more - but kept getting shoved to the left. Was to the inside of sight bouys on the way out, and it got me in trouble on the way back in going the wrong way on a one way street - was headed straight into the 40-44 wave and had to make a 90 degree right hand turn to avoid getting crushed!
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

T1 went well - wanted a sub 1 min transition, but again.........this transition area is quite long and had a long run with the bike, so I was on pace for the sub min taking that into consideration.

Not much - seemed to go smooth. One of these days, I'll get brave enough to keep shoes on bike and try the 'jump on bike' method.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 17s
  • 26.02 miles
  • 21.90 mile/hr
Comments:

not sure where to start on this one. I knew I would be behind Ed and Chris out of the water, and I wasn't going to get Chris, but wanted to get Ed as soon as I could. I spotted Ed heading across the bridge on the way out and put the hammer down. Got him at the 2.5 mark, so I really felt like I was in for a good ride - until Rosen went by like I was sitting still - WTF? Am I really going that slow - looked down at tires to see if I had air pressure - everything looked good? Tried to shake that off and kept pushing against what seemed like a decent headwind. Chris told me that we didn't ride the right course last week, so I was curious what the new one would bring - note: lots of false flats. It seemed like we climbed the whole way out 13+ miles. I just couldn't get any mojo going........legs felt heavy, but I wasn't holding back. The few rough spots of road were very discouraging considering we rode a pretty smooth couse last week. I was passing boat loads of folks, but just didn't feel like it was my best ride by any stretch. I was pushing just to stay above 22 mph for the ride. I knew when I hit the back of the square it would take everything I had to make this happen on the way back. Some smooth roads for a bit, then back to rough spots again. Came back into the park right at 22 mph, but getting out of shoes and speed bumps dropped me to officially 21.9. About .5 mph or better under where I expected to be. Disappointing!

Honestly, I didn't respect this course enough and it got me. It won the mental battle today. That won't happen again!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Dismount into transition was smooth - getting started on the run needs work.

idk why I insist on standing in front of my bike rack to put my run hat and belt on? Grab it and go stupid!
Run
  • 26m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Run is what it is.

Push myself off the bike - my legs said yes, we're good to go, but mind always acts reserved and holds back - more mental toughnes training to push through this...............idk what it is - work in progress

Post race
Warm down:

Met up with T3 cheering section and cheered in Pat, Nick, Chip and Kathy!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental Toughness

Event comments:

Again - Tri-Sharks and Tri-Mom Events are First Class - GREAT event and venue!

Last updated: 2010-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:59 | 550 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/176
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-Shorts
Course: Out and back - sight and turnaround bouys to your left.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:11:17 | 26.02 miles | 21.90 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Oly course for a sprint distance race - very cool. Out, make a square, and back - some rough patches and lots of false flats that seemed to take a toll.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:45 | 03.11 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back - one roller, but nothing significant. A little pea gravel on way out to turnaround.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes