General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoulder pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-19 12:13 PM

Subject: Shoulder pain
I've started getting some pain in my shoulder during the last 1/4 of my long swim workouts and during speed sets.  It only hurts while swiming and I haven't lost any mobility.  I'm probably over-extending on my stroke and I'm working on fixing that.  There's only one more race on my calendar, (Aug, 1st).  Any advice out there?   

2010-07-30 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2989998

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Shoulder pain
sjw503 - 2010-07-19 1:13 PM I've started getting some pain in my shoulder during the last 1/4 of my long swim workouts and during speed sets.  It only hurts while swiming and I haven't lost any mobility.  I'm probably over-extending on my stroke and I'm working on fixing that.  There's only one more race on my calendar, (Aug, 1st).  Any advice out there?   

I wouldn't suggest ignoring it if it's happening every time you swim.  Go to a doc and have it evaluated after your race this weekend.  PT may help.

I ended up with shoulder surgery this year - I had a sore shoulder doing every day stuff.  Doc thought (and an MRI supposedly confirmed this) that it was tendonitis and bursitis.  He went in just to clean it out and turned out I had a SLAP tear.  Which was surprising as the pain was not that bad.  But PT and cortisone didn't work.

Good luck on both your race and getting your shoulder healed.  Hopefully it's just overuse.
2010-07-31 1:08 PM

Thanks for your post.  I've found stroke motion that isn't the most efficient but seems to work without hurting.  I'm gpoing to lay off swimming after tomorrow and rest it.  If it doesn't get better I'll go to a sports doc that fixed me up after an achilles thing last year. 
2010-08-10 7:01 AM
in reply to: #3014392

Hi, I think you need to stop swimming for a while and start off later when things works for you. The pain may be due to rigorous swimming and strain. Consult your doc if pain still persists.
2010-08-12 6:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Singapore
I started having pain in my left shoulder (I usually breath to the right). It would usually flare up after biking. I determined that it wasd caused by not rotating my body enough when I was using my non-dominant side. This caused the shoulder joint to take more stress through the rotation. I focused on rotating my torso evenly on both sides and the problem is gone. Good luck.
2010-10-01 8:51 PM

User image

Regular
Wondering if anyone is still experiencing shoulder pain while swimming.  I'm a right-side breather and have left side shoulder pain.  It's near the rotator cuffs but I mindfully keep those strong with lifting since I'm a softball player, a bum RC would have me benched...

Appreciate hearing any stories or helpful tips!

2011-01-29 4:31 PM
in reply to: #3014392

User image

Expert
Twin Cities

Just checking in to hear if you are fully recovered from your SLAP tear surgery?  I had SLAP tear surgery on 11/9/2010, clean up of bursitis and also cleaned up rotator cuff (no tear).  Three months into recovery and pain is a daily thing and flexibility is slowly coming back - with much attention to PT.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoulder pain Rss Feed