HFP Racing
91F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 33m 27s
Overall Rank = 1211/
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 144/
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:00. I slept for about 4 hours. There were people partying out in the parking lot and I couldn't sleep at all. Just nerves, no biggy. I had my breakfast all packed but when I opened the cooler my sandwich was soaking wet!!! All I had was a banana and then I went down to see what they had in the lobby and he was still setting it up because it was so early so I had a bowl of Fruity Pebbles (which I had never had befor and were not that good at all.) Well, Jennie tried to get my to eat her sandwich and I brushed it off like it was no biggy but It was and I knew it. I knew it was going to bite me. We should have gone somwhere and had a decent breakfast. This was the moment that ruined my whole day. 18 weeks of training specifically for this day and I blew it by making one bad decicion. This wasn't the only one as you will see below because I pushed too hard on the bike because I felt ok but I knew my heart rate was too high and I didn't listen to the little angel on my shoulder. LIVE AND LEARN. At least I have and maybe you will pick up on some of my mistakes and not make them yourself.
Event warmup:

Walked back 1 mile to the porta johns to go to the bathroom. I don't know why they don't have any within site of the race start. They have to know that everyone has to go. Walked 2 miles in the sand to-and-from the restrooms. Swam for about 15-20 minutes. Good warmup. Oh, my stomach was already grumbling at the start of the race so I knew that my bad decision to not get somthing for breakfast was going to bite me. I just didn't know when. See below for my awesome run implosion.
Swim
  • 45m 37s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a great swim for me. This was my 3rd time in the water this year. The other 2 were both races so for me with no practice at all I am pumped on this. I am not fast but I didn't stop once to catch my breath. I can tell that my fitness is what got me through because I didn't really get tired from it either.
What would you do differently?:

Take lessons or even just swim by myself at the Y or somthing. That is actually the plan for next winter/spring so I am hoping to make some gains here. I am thinking about selling my sleeveless suit and this reinforced that because it was COLD.
Transition 1
  • 03m 44s
Comments:

I had planned on taking it slow and steady and it worked out ok. I ate a gel and sat down to take my suit off and just took it easy. I can go faster but I wanted to follow my race plan. I walk/jogged to the line and jumped on my bike. I slipped my right foot in before the hill and got my left in after the hill. I had a bit of trouble with my left because of my rubber band breaking but it was no big deal. I also started in the small ring because of the hill and that worked really well. There were some people really struggling to get up the hill in the big ring.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 2h 38m 2s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.26 mile/hr
Comments:

This went perfectly according to plan. I would have been right on schedule to my plan but the last 1/2 hour the cramping started a bit so I toned it down and coasted a lot more trying to get my heart rate low and hopefully digest some of the fluids that I took in. I drank my aero bottle and my downtube bottle and picked up one perform from the second aid station. I also ate one flask of gel. This was right on schedule with my plan and has worked every time in training. The main problem was that I had no real food in my stomach and I was now not digesting any of the fluids that I had taken in.

NUTRITION!!!
I think I will take it easier next time for the first few miles and make sure my heart rate is in check. I kept a close eye on it but my rpe wasn't matching my hr at all and I have to assume it was a combination of nutritional issues, heat and the excitement of racing. I will take all of those lessons (mistakes) and make changes next time.
Transition 2
  • 05m 56s
Comments:

I knew I was having issues but when going over my race plan with Jennie yesterday I planned on walking through transition to keep my heart rate down and sit and put my socks on and just keep myself calm. I could have gone waaay faster but for me at this distance that wouldn't be wise. I am not going to run anyone down even on a good day so I think taking my time and being calm is a good plan

Nothing that I can think of right now.
Run
  • 3h 00m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

This was right up there with the worst experiences of my life. I already knew I had issues from the last half-hour on the bike so I told myself that I needed to not push and if my body wasn't responding that I would be able to walk and try and recover. I jogged the first 4 miles at 8:30 according to my Garmin and this was dead-on with my race planning. I thought if things went bad I would, at the worst, do 10 min pace for the whole race. Well it went from bad to worse in about 2 miles. At mile 4 my back seized up and I walked for a bit. Then after the turn around my legs started cramping. I didn't want to risk injury so whenever they cramped I stopped and walked. By the time I was coming back into the park they totally seized up and my whole body was cramped. I couldn't breathe deeply and my chest/stomach/back/legs, you name it and it was cramped up. So I saw Jennie in the crowd and explained to her what was happening and told here the next lap would take a while. It was terrible. I could feel the fluids I had been taking in swishing around and I couldn't digest anything. I was fighting off dry-heaves and pretty much walked the first half of the second lap entirely. After the turn-around I decided I would try and jog from one cone to the next and then when it became too painful I would walk. I did this the rest of the lap and at one point was able to make it 4 cones without stopping. It is heartbreaking to not be tired but have your body not let you go on. The goal was to finish without injury and I DID IT!! I even jogged the last little bit into the finish line.

EAT A PROPER BREAKFAST. Nutrition was the culprit for my failure to perform and I knew in the morning that I was making a mistake but when Jennie asked I brushed it off. I need to pay attention to the details that I have worked so hard on dialing in for the last 18 weeks and be selfish on this one day and get them right. I know I will do better next time.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked (limped) to the water with Jennie fighting off the dry-heaves and went in about knee deep to try and cool down and help the pain in my legs and feet.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition,Sleep,Exertion levels, etc...See above haha.

Event comments:

Well, I learned a lot from this race. I have taken each of the mistakes/lessons that I made and have learned from them. Nutrition was my downfall and I didn't help myself at all by not slowing down on the bike when I knew my heart-rate was too high. I know the story's of all the super fit guys walking the run bragging to others about what a killer bike split they had. I was stupid and it won't happen again. The heat contributed to my results but the real reason for my poor showing was a number of things that I have control over and I will change for next time.

Last updated: 2010-01-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:37 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 140/
Overall: 1151/
Performance: Good
I am sure it was high but hey, I can't swim so it's hard work son!
Suit: Xterra Vortex3 sleeveless
Course: Point to point along the beach in Lake Michigan. I couldn't beleive how clear the water was. Oh, and cold too!!!!!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:44
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:38:02 | 56 miles | 21.26 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
HR 150-160. This was about 10 bpm too high and I knew it would bite me in the ass and it did. So I guess I feel pretty good about myself because I told me so!! haha
Wind: Some
Course: Fairly flat course. A couple of rollers but I never got out of the saddle except to stretch my back and legs and I never went to the small ring.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 05:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:00:08 | 13.1 miles | 13m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 144/
Overall: 1211/
Performance: Bad
I turned my Garmin off at the end of the first lap. I got sick of seeing a 160 HR and 19:00 pace.
Course: Double out and back course with only one small elevation change coming out and going into the park.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %5%
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-19 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Racine

2010-07-19 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2990087

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine

Congrats on finishing! Sounds like it was a tough day... you talked about the things that you had difficulty with that you would change next time, but you didn't talk about one of the other things you had control of -- your heart and drive.  A lot of people would have just dropped out if they had the same issues that you had, but you pushed through them to finish... Great job!

2010-07-19 1:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greendale, WI

Way to overcome a lot of obstacles and finish out strong!   Great Job!

2010-07-19 4:08 PM

It was gut check time and you made it.  The heat beat us down.  You learned a valuable lesson and it will payoff for you next time, and is a reminder to all the rest of us.  Good work.
2010-07-19 7:14 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Way to tough it out....cannot imagine how hard that was given the conditions!  Pretty awesome bike split though!
2010-07-20 1:57 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Way to hang tough on a difficult day. I suspect that the heat and hammering too hard on the bike had more to do with your troubles on the run than not having the morning sandwich, but that's something you'll have to figure out. Congrats on hanging in there and finishing even after things went so downhill-- that determination will pay big dividends at future races. Congrats!

2010-07-20 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Racine deff. has some payback coming next year!!

2010-07-22 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Way to stick it out.  I got hit pretty bad on the run too.  Congrats on enduring and gritting it out.
2010-07-22 8:03 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

GOOD JOB finishing...we were dealt some brutal conditions on that hot azz run!

If you read the run part of my report, you and I unfortunately had very similar runs....it is absolutely agonizing when your body wants to run, but you just can't.

I am with you on going back there next year and kicking that course's azz!

NICE WORK!!

2013-07-22 5:34 PM

User image

New user

Chicago
Others have said it, but I'll say it again. Good job for pushing through and finishing strong despite the hardships experienced in the 2nd half of the race. I too started cramping bad the last 5k of my run and believe that nutrition was the culprit. Next time I will bring salt tabs and take one when I start the run to prevent it. All in all, great job though! What a great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Racine Rss Feed