90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 54m 37s
Overall Rank = 1339/2309
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 275/465
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:45 a.m. (in my own bed!)
Remove cobwebs from head, wash face, shave and stumble downstairs. Open Red Bull, make a water bottle with Perpetuem and begin eating a Power Bar.

4:15 AIS (ass in seat) heading into Manhattan.
Event warmup:

waiting. a lot of waiting.

finish setting of transition by 5:45. walk to swim start and wait until 7:05 to start getting ready for 7:27 wave start (which started around 7:35)
Swim
  • 18m 6s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

Perfect swim. We had a great current and I was told that being near the channel was best. Swam along the outer bouys the first 1200 meters and at the 1200 meter sign, moved towards the exit barge.

2 years ago my swim time was 37 minutes. Shaved 19 minutes off the swim - granted a lot of that was the current, but I really have improved and am now very comfotable in the swim portion. Found a perfect swimming rhythum and when collided with people, didn't even change my rhythm or form. Only at a couple points did I have to stop my swimming because of other swimmers literally swimming right into me.
What would you do differently?:

Go out a LOT harder and get ahead of the bad swimmers. Did get tangled up in the first bit and then got slowed down by some douchebag zig-zaging into me around the 1000 meter point.
Transition 1
  • 07m 37s
Comments:

This T1 includes about 2 minutes for a bathroom break.

Confession time: had to really pee and the bathroom lines were atrocious. was going to do the whole "in the wetsuit" thing in the Hudson, but damn skippy I was flying so fast down the river I didn't have time. My T-spot was right next to the portopotties.

Otherwise, transition was right on pace. My feet pads are still really messed up from IMCdA and it hurt too much to run on the pavement, so I had to fast walk to the T-Zone (which still hurt a lot). But considering I had planned on being in the river for 25 minutes, getting out in 18 gave me a little bit of free time.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 18s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I was laughing to myself. They warn you to watch out for water bottles. On my adventures, I had to avoid not only water bottles, but also 2 bike chains, 3 bottle cages (actual cages) AND an aero bottle. There some seriously rough road.

Having done this route before, I knew the hills and wasn't concerned. Especially post CdA, no longer really intimidated. I kept the bike in my lower chain ring for most of the ride, in one my lowest gears. Jumped to the high chain ring for a couple hills, but just to breach the top.

I'll admit that I didn't go as fast and as hard as I could have on this ride. I wanted to save my legs for the run and I was really nervous about my bike. I don't know how to describe it, but the bike just felt "wonky." Something is screwy with my bike and I need to have it checked out.

My biking goal was and always has been "get back home safe." I did some passing, but definitely got passed more.

The course was also extremely crowded. I found myself drafting at times, not out of an intent to draft, but because there were people stacked behind me, not enough room to pass and we all were passing some TnT Pelotons.

Plus, the road surface was so bad in some spots, I gave up speed out of concern for safety.

I would have liked to have been around 19.5 or 20 mph on the bike and know that I can reach that pace. But with all the factors at play, I'm happy with my pace and reached my goal of getting back home safe.

Also shaved about 3 minutes off last time.

Push harder on the uphills.
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

This T2 time is a product of my transition zone placement. I was on the VERY LAST RACK before you exit the zone. So that means, in cycling shoes, I had to push my bike the whole 2 block length of the T-zone.

Actual time for racking bike and changing shoes was mere seconds, but the size and having to cross the T-zone pushing my bike definitely slowed me down.
Run
  • 1h 03m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

This is my one disappointment in this race. Granted, I shaved 7 minutes off my time from 2 years ago, but still.

By the time I left the T-zone, I was really noticing the heat. I had kept my nutrition up on the bike, but now I could feel the heat. I had decent legs, but thought the run might be a problem.

I had left the T-zone with the goal of sub 3 hours. I was running down 72nd St. doing the math, 3 hours - ok, I need to average 11 minute miles, blah blah blah. (attached photo proving I was obsessing over my time while running on 72nd St.)

I was so focused on the 3 hour mark, that it didn't even occur to me to shoot for a 2:45 time. Now it seems stupid, but on 72nd St., it didn't even occur to me.

So in hindsight, I realize now that if I would have run my intended goal pace of 9 minute miles, I would have done it. Instead, I did the math and settled into a comfortable 10 minute/mile pace.

I let up on a few spots, walking a couple uphills, knowing that I was comfortably under 3 hours.

Then again, I did feel some cramping in my right hamstring. It wasn't major and as I wasn't really pushing the pace, it stayed a minor issue.

I know this run course very well because I used to run it on my lunchbreak for many years. I knew several areas to walk and recover and when my "run it in" point began.

I was definitely spent by the time I finished, more hot and bothered then dead tired legs.

I would have like to have pushed the run pace a lot harder. I wish I would have realized I had the ability to go 2:45 and at least tried for that time instead being so focused on 3 hours.

Also, my Sunday post-race included getting my gear, getting back home, loading the car and driving back to Richmond. I kept telling myself that I had to consider more than just my race and I couldn't leave everything on the run course. Considering I didn't get to Richmond until midnight with a car full of my family, I honestly don't know how things would have turned out if I did leave everything on the run course and was too exhausted to drive.
Post race
Event comments:

This race was run for my wife. I ran for the Life without Lupus charity.

My wife came along and tried to cheer me on, but she nearly collapsed from the heat and the effect Lupus has played on her health. In reality, but for having signed up under the charity bib, I would have skipped this race.

Now, a couple days out, having caught up on my sleep and the sharp pain / cramp in my right hamstring now reduced to a dull roar, I'm glad we did it.

I am very happy with my race and my time. My only regret is not pushing the run harder and shooting for a sub 2:45. This might be one of the only times that finishing time was realistically in reach for me because of my swim time.

I don't what, if any, races are in my future. But if this turns out to be my swan song, I'll have finished on a high note.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-11-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:06 | 1500 meters | 01m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/465
Overall: 0/2309
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:22:18 | 24.85 miles | 18.12 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:03:59 | 06.21 miles | 10m 18s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-07-20 11:48 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
Subject: Nautica New York City Triathlon

2010-07-20 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2992415

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Nautica New York City Triathlon
Great job! Sorry I missed you. If I had known you were rockin' the Maillot Orange, I would have found you for sure.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica New York City Triathlon Rss Feed