General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DQ Tri Kings Grant Marlton Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-22 8:03 AM

User image

Regular
Marco Island
Subject: DQ Tri Kings Grant Marlton
This will be my first Tri and I'm thrilled.  Anyone else doing this?  Done it before?  Hadn't thought much about wearing a wet suit.  I spend most of my time in SW Florida and water temp is always warm. Couldn't find info online about temp, but with all this warm weather have to believe (hope) water is in the 80's.  If anyone has done this course before, would love hear feedback.

2010-07-22 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2996812

Veteran
South Jersey
Subject: RE: DQ Tri Kings Grant Marlton
I have done it the last few years...actually every year they have had it :-) It was my 1st tri as well. It's a small event, about 350 participants.

The Swim: I have never worn a wetsuit there. I honestly don't believe it has been wetsuit legal but I could be wrong. The water is...muddy...you can't really see underwater at all. It's a straight, clockwise out and back swim. I have found it easy to sight. In the water start...you can stand if you want to but the thick slimy mud is a little gross. Run up a small beach for the finish and into the transition area.

The Bike: You take a small road out, then 3 loops around the lake. It has some mild ups and downs...the biggest hill is at the entrance to the development so it is at the end of each loop. I haven't ridden out there since last year but the roads were in pretty decent shape and they did a good job of marking the few bad areas on the road.

The Run: Starts on the road, goes off into the woods on a trail, loops back around and finishes on the road. The trail is definitely a little uneven and rocky in parts but nothing crazy. Pretty flat. There is 1 water stop on the run. But, because of they way the course loops around you can hit the water 3 times.

Post Race: Bananas, Bagels, Tomato Pie, Peanut Butter...not bad for a small event. No music or anything like that.

Goodie Bag: In the past they have given away a drawstring bag from DQ, a shirt and maybe a sample or 2. Mostly race/event info or a coupon or 2.

Awards: They usually give something useful like a race hat or coffee travel mug etc.

My husband and I will be there again this year!

2010-07-22 11:34 AM
in reply to: #2996915

User image

Regular
Marco Island
youthfulwarriormom --  thanks so much for the overview!  This helps a lot and I feel better knowing a little more about the course!!!  My husband and I are going to take a ride out there tomorrow morning so I can bike the course.  He isn't participating, but will be there to cheer me on.  I'm really getting excited, pretty nervous, but all-in-all eager to see how it goes.  Fingers crossed that we get a bit of a break in the humidity.  Oh, and I know exactly what you mean about the gross muddy stuff.  Not pleasant!
2010-07-25 8:24 PM

The water is waaaay to warm for a wetsuit. Plus, it's such a short sprint, it's not worth the time to wiggle out of a suit.  

As for the gross water, I'll say this only to prepare you, not to scare you off...it's not mud, it goose $hit.  Last year it was off the charts gross with goose crap floating in the water and all over the beach.  Just take a deep breath and ignore it.  I spoke to Bill Quigly about it and he said the water passed the water quality test.  I don't know of anyone who got sick, so it seems it's just a matter of gross factor.  

Other than that, it's a great little race, very fast course, very casual and lots of fun.  Have a blast!  I won't be there this year, but I plan to race with my daughter next year. 
2010-08-15 8:46 PM

I just signed up for this!  
2010-09-05 8:52 AM

Did this yesterday and you were not kidding about the goose ! Good lord, I was wringing that out of my tri suit for a while! Overall a nice event though!

2010-09-05 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3082716

User image

Veteran
Williamstown NJ
strawberrymelon - 2010-09-05 9:52 AM Did this yesterday and you were not kidding about the goose ! Good lord, I was wringing that out of my tri suit for a while! Overall a nice event though!

Different race and location (if you did the Marlton Lakes Tri yesterday.
2010-09-05 6:03 PM
in reply to: #3082882

Oh darn it, I didn't read the title carefully! Sorry!
2010-10-22 1:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Carolina Beach
I used to live in Kings Grant many years ago when I was still in high school.  I'm hoping to get back there for this race next year (2011) because it would be a trip down memory lane.  When I looked at the bike map I thought it would be fun because I would pass my old house.  The lake was pretty gross back then, I can imagine it has not improved.  I used to race my dirt bikes all around the woods by the lakes.  Last I heard there are no "woods" there anymore because it's all houses now.  Man time flies by, I have not been in that area since I helped my my parents moved in 1996! 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DQ Tri Kings Grant Marlton Rss Feed