General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Healing Time for Fractures of the 5th metatarsal Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-22 11:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Subject: Healing Time for Fractures of the 5th metatarsal

Went trail running about 5 weeks ago ended up with an avulsion fracture of the 5th metatarsal. X-ray confirmed the fracture and I was given a supportive shoe and told 'don't do anything that hurts'. 5 weeks on and the swelling has pretty much gone away.

I had a follow-up appointment with a different doctor who said, 'things are looking good, no excerise until 12 weeks'. (?!). The original doctor said I could start light excerise 4 to 6 weeks out.

According to the most recent doctor, the fracture will be 90% healed at 12 weeks and 99% healed at 24 weeks. So, here is the question : how far along are we in the healing process 6 week out? 20%, 45% or 70%. Is the bone healing process a logarithmic, linear or exponential process.

Welcome comments and insights.

2010-07-27 8:10 PM
in reply to: #2999311

Subject: RE: Healing Time for Fractures of the 5th metatarsal
Sorry to hear about the foot. I've broken that bone twice. Once on each end. The avulsion fracture took a solid six weeks of being in a cast to heal but it's never given me trouble since. I was also back doing pretty much what I wanted about a week after I got out of the cast, once flexibility returned. I also took a calcium supplement while in the cast, I have no idea if that helped but it's worth a try!
The second time I broke it I said ahhhh screw it and just did what I wanted while ignoring the immense pain. That took nearly an entire year to stop hurting.
My advice, get a real cast for a few weeks and you'll be set to go soon after you get out of the cast.
I hope you heal fast! 
2010-07-27 8:51 PM

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
You might give aqua jogging a try.  It's what I've been doing since I'm nursing a broken toe right now, though I 'm sure it's not nearly as bad as your fracture.  It's not as good as running but it's better than nothing.
2010-07-29 2:16 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Can't really put a percentage on it as eveyone heals differently.  A child will heal more quickly than an adult.  If ti doesn'thurt when you press on it I'd let you start back.  You could swim for sure and you can probab;y ride the trainer safely.   RUnning will be the wild card

2010-08-08 4:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA

Just figured I would close the loop on this thread. At 6 weeks I started swiming and my US Dr. told me I could shift from the orthopedic shoe to hiking boots as I had no pain when I squeezed the foot. Started biking at 7 weeks - no issues . Starting plyometric/balance board exceirse at 8 weeks. All the above is dependant on pain. If I feel any pain, then I was to stop whatever activity casued the pain (common sense). The Dr. did recommend that I hold off on running until 12 weeks.

All the best.
2010-08-14 8:52 PM

I just got a base fracture of the 5th metatarsal trail running last Fri.  I am in a aircast for 4-6 weeks.  It is weight bearing, but I haven't really been wearing it around the house.  Did you constantly wear your cast??  I am hoping by week 3-4 I can put on a running shoe and wear that instead.  The aircast really bothers my knee because of the drastic height difference between it and my other shoe. 

It ended the rest of my mtb season so I am going to just focus on swimming and lifting over the next 4-6 weeks and hopfully get on the stationary bike at the point.

How many weeks did you wear the boot for?

2010-08-15 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3044086

User image

San Diego
One thing to be aware of is that there are different types of fractures that occur on the 5th metatarsal, and these different fractures can have much different healing times (and in some cases, may due better with surgery).

One of the more common fractures to the base of the 5th metatarsal is an avulsion fracture at the attachment of the peroneal brevis muscle. Stress fractures also can occur in this area.

The other fracture that takes longer to heal is called a Jones fracture and occurs a little further up on the bone and has a higher rate of not healing due to poor blood supply in the region.

So talk with the doc as far as when to transition out of the air cast, since without knowing the exact type of fracture, you may be getting advice from folks about a different type of fracture.

Hope this helps and you heal up quickly.

-Doc John
San Diego, CA 
2010-08-15 11:44 AM

Doc, it is a fracture but not a jones fracture.  I was told that when I can tolerate a shoe that I can wear one.  I just want to make sure it heals properly and dont want to do anything to screw up that process.  I would rather deal with the air cast for another week then delay the healing process by pushing it to soon. 
2010-08-15 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

I also broke my pinky toe 2 weeks ago. I still have pain at the base of my toe if I press on it but also have some bruising and pain farther up the metatarsal (about half way up my foot). Not sure if this is part of the same injury?- hit my toes real hard while walking past a computer bench in my house- or if it's something different? I have no discomfort when wearing regular shoes now as long as they dont press on the toe but I dont feel like its ready to run on because it still hurts if I press on those 2 areas? The podiatrist didnt seem too worried about it but I've had a run of bad luck with my feet this summer (ironically I was only one week out of the Boot for a SFX when I broke my toes!) and am itching to get back out and run after 4 months off.

2014-03-27 10:13 AM

I currently have a Fifth metatarsal fracture, I have had the air cast for a mouth and a half and Im going back to the doctor in 2 weeks. Ii suggest for you not put any weight on it until you get out of the boot. the doctor should takes new x-rays to make sure everything is healing, and if it's healing in the right spot. I know your doc said that you could when you wanted but, do you really wanna risk it, for the chance of surgery?
2014-07-24 2:49 PM
in reply to: Ems123

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Fifth metatarsal fracture here, too. It's been less than a week for me and it's looking like the 70.3 in November is out for me. I have a Jones fracture and my doc gave me the orthopedic shoe to wear for support and also suggested that it be wrapped. He said to gauge everything by the pain...that I could possibly be fine swimming within the next week or so and that I might be able to ride the stationary bike with a few weeks. He mentioned elliptical, but not until I have a follow-up at 4 weeks. Of course running is going to take the longest...sigh. I am a little concerned though, because it sounds as if your timelines weren't as aggressive.

As long as I am healed in time for IMTX training to start in January, I will be happy. I was just hoping to be at a higher level of fitness at that point and not starting over from scratch!

2014-09-13 12:04 AM
in reply to: #4972049

I fractured my fifth metatarsal in the middle oblique fracture n I wear Aircast boot. My swelling is hone now by one week. I wear my boot almost whole day except night . At night I wrap crape bandage...Doctor will see me after two weeks n she asked that I'll do some weight bearing. Though I'm not in pain but it's bcoz I'm not putting any weight on my effected foot..though I walk a lot while wearing my boot. But don't u guys think I should wait for 6 weeks n then should start putting weight...As u said it will take 22 weeks to get 90% healed.
2014-09-26 10:17 AM
in reply to: zara

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I'm now at week 10. With the Dr's blessing, I've been swimming (with a pull buoy) and riding the spin bike/trainer. As of last week, I've added elliptical to my routine and while the foot does ache a bit, it's been okay. I have another follow-up at the 12-week mark and we'll see. I have been trying my best to do what the doctor says and not try to go for a run. I just want it to heal properly, but at the same time not ruining my chances of training for IMTX....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Healing Time for Fractures of the 5th metatarsal Rss Feed