United States
HFP Racing
90F / 32C
Total Time = 5h 27m 43s
Overall Rank = 404/1678
Age Group = M25=29
Age Group Rank = 56/140
Event warmup:

Walked along beach to swim start. Did about 5 minutes of swimming in the lake to get used to water temps. A few arm circles and then I quick pump up to the song "Jump" is there any better song to start to?
Swim
  • 35m 55s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well my swim continues to be my strongest of the 3 results wise, and I didn't even think this was a great swim. The first half could not have gone better. Was in one of the lead packs the first half and I was just cruising through the course. Didn't check my time at the 1/2 point but my sighting was flawless and I was drafting off some feet. Each time we passed on bouy I was right on that sucker. As sson as we hit the red/orange bouys is when I had trouble. I don't know if it was my goggles or what, but all the sudden I could not find the bouys. I started to drift of course both ways which probably added a couple minutes to my swim and had to do breastroke a few times to sight. The second half definitely felt a lot slower and when we made the final turn I felt like the beach was never getting closer. I really think I can nail this distance swim under 35:00 with where my fitness is at.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe it was the goggles maybe not. I wouldn't do much differently but maybe work on my sighting a bit.
Transition 1
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

Never ever has my wetsuit come off that easily! The run into T1 was a bit long and kind of hard with the beach run, but everything went smoothly once I got to my bike. A lot better compared to my T1 at Lake Mills earlier this year.

Be faster and look better
Bike
  • 2h 40m 14s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.97 mile/hr
Comments:

Well beside the first 100 feet and last mile this went pretty well. This was the first time ever that I have not had my shoes preclipped in. With the disaster that Saturday was I was not able to ride my bike into the appropriate gear for the hill out of transition and my estimate was...well wrong. Once I got onto my bike I realized I was in the wrong gear and accidently shifted the wrong way which made me need to dismount and shift off my bike...right in front of friends! hehe perfect. Once I got on the bike I was amazed at how easy it was to be hitting 23,24,25 mph. Decided to take in nutrition at 30 minutes but I couldn't hold anything down until 45. Had a hard time feeding myself but I was able to take in all the liquid I wanted. My cadence and shifting were superb and I never felt as if I was caught in the wrong gear. I had an awesome bottle exchange with one of the volunteers at about 22 mph at the 30 mile mark. Ran out of liquid on the last 5 miles but it wasn't much of an issue. Once we returned on Main Street I was getting rocked everywhere, that road is like a wooden rollercoaster. just before 4 mile intersection my chain got knocked off and I had to get off to get it back on. Rode into transition and had yet another perfect 10 dismount leaving my shoes on the bike and all.

Not look stupid in an aero helmet and all the jazzy gear getting out of T1, and maybe keep my chain on the entire ride. That may have costed me 90-120 seconds. I think I could have pushed a bit harder since I felt so great going out on the run...and maybe not.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Helmet off, shoes on, grab visor and fuel belt. Ready Set Go!

go faster...duh
Run
  • 2h 06m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Well this is always where it hurts and boy did it ever today. I have had the problem of going out of T2 too hard at this distance and spiking up my HR to high. So I took the first couple miles very lightly and even walked the two hills on the first mile. This run can really be divided into 3 segments. Miles 1-4, 4-9, 10-13.1. The first 4 miles I wanted to run conservatively and save energy. This part took us all the way out to the far turnaround. I did a good job of keeping a slower pace and walking each aid station. Once I hit the turnaround I wanted to pick it up a bit and test my legs. As soon as I turned around I heard "Hey benny coming from a car" whoa I thought! It was my friend Beth cruising in her car and just happened to come down at the time I passed. She asked how I was doing and I filled her in about not being able to hold much down on the bike and that I have about 9 miles left on the run. Told her to go down to the beach and I would meet her their in an hour and a half. Anywho the run back towards the turnaround went well. I lost a bottle on my fuelbelt at the 5th mile, but my pace was good, my legs felt good and I was still walking each aid station to load up. Once I got to the second turnaround the adrenaline hit a bit and I may have ran a bit too hard. Oh well once I was running away again I still felt good and then the rain came in the perfect time. Cooled myself off a bit but had to run in soggy shoes from that point on. I felt great all the way to the far turnaround and this was where the pain started and the wheels came off. MIles 10-13.1 where a struggle, I was tightening up, getting hot, and my stride shortened significantly. I had to take a few walking break as well outside of aid stations. I knew the my 5:30 time goal was going to be close but I was sure after the 11 mile mark that as long as I didn't run 11 minute miles I would make it in time. Skipped the last aid station and cruised into the final mile. Had to walk a short portion through the zoo but once I got out I was home free. The last mile hurt like a damn bugger but I was able to finish well enough to break 5:28

Walking the aid stations was a good plan, but I really need to be able to push it on those mile stretches. I think I had a sub 2:00:00 run in me today, but the walking may have killed that. Overall given my run training lately and the conditions I am happy with my run.
Post race
Warm down:

Laid in the shade and puked whatever else I had in my stomach out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run training and the heat on the run. Kate reminded me after the race I accomplished one of my season goals which was a sub 5:30 1/2 Iron so I cannot be upset about the days effort. I did though after this race feel like crap and the thought of Ironman looming on the horizon worried me a little. This is a race I am sure that I can go faster on with a bit better training but I am happy with my effort on the day, especially my mental focus after not wanting to race the entire drive down to Racine that morning.

Last updated: 2009-09-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:55 | 2112 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 40/140
Overall: 281/1678
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3
Course: Point to point along beach
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:18
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:40:14 | 56 miles | 20.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 59/140
Overall: 432/1678
Avg HR 145 Max HR 170
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:06:14 | 13.1 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 66/140
Overall: 611/1678
Course: 2 loop out and back run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-07-23 9:54 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: Racine 70.3

2010-07-23 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3001546

Champion
No excuses!
Subject: RE: Racine 70.3
Great race and way to go accomplishing one of your season goals!
2010-07-23 10:32 PM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Great race under extreme conditions.  The heat was brutal, it was killer on the run and really impacted me as well.  Looks like your well on your way to IMOO.
2010-07-24 7:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
nice job.  Madison will be a walk in the park after that.
2010-07-24 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Great job. You did great coming in UNDER your goal time!! Congrats and good luck at IMOO
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Racine 70.3 Rss Feed