General Discussion Triathlon Talk » La Jolla Rough Water - Gatorman 3 mile Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-27 5:55 PM

User image

Subject: La Jolla Rough Water - Gatorman 3 mile
Been wanting to do this race for a while, this might be the year to do it....   Course freaks me out a bit (feels like open ocean), but guess I have to get over that   I think I can make the cutoff with room to spare (1:45) but you never know until you try     I have friends that I can train in the ocean with, so that will make it easier.

Anyone else?

2010-07-27 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3008479

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Subject: RE: La Jolla Rough Water - Gatorman 3 mile
Sounds fun, but my swimming just isn't there this year.
2010-07-28 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
I did it last year - and missed the cutoff.  I had done the swim in training and came in with time to spare.  I had been more worried about the water temp, but last year that was a non-factor.  I think the temp on race day was about 70°.

What hurt me was the large swell that came in the weekend of the event.  It was pretty nasty.  I made the turn at the pier in 45 minutes, thinking I had plenty of time to make it back, but it took me more than an hour to get back to the cove.  I was almost dead last.

Not sure if I'll be doing it again this year.  Swimming is definitely not my strength and the water has been colder.  I may be going to Santa Cruz for Big Kahuna, but if not, I'll be there in some capacity.  Whether I'm racing or not, I don't know, but I do have some friends that will be swimming, so I may just be there for support (and swim the one-mile).
2010-08-20 10:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Chris - did you decide to swim the three-mile?  Looks like I'll be here that weekend afterall, but I'm still not sure whether or not I'll be racing.  I decided not to go up to Santa Cruz for Big Kahuna since my folks are coming down here a couple of weeks later and I've got a 50k to prep for.  I'll probably do the Heartbreak Ridge Half on that Saturday and then maybe take another shot at Gatorman.  My only real concern is the water temp as we're still looking at only about 65° at Scripps Pier.  I may wait until the day before the race to decide.
2010-08-20 12:41 PM

User image

Mike, training was going well until a couple weeks ago, I was totally out of the water for two full weeks due to an infection, so won't be ready for 3 miles by then... 

65 actually sounds kinda nice, warmer than I thought it was going to be
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » La Jolla Rough Water - Gatorman 3 mile Rss Feed