General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Metatarsalgia from clipless pedals?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-29 8:25 AM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Metatarsalgia from clipless pedals??

I got speedplay clipless pedals last August and have had ball of foot pain (metatarsalgia) ever since. I battled it all winter and spring but I thought it was from running. I got new shoes, tried meds, bought new orthodics with special padding for the ball of my foot. I ice all the time and that helps but I think I'm finally figuring out it's from cycling and not running.
I'm wondering if a different kind of clipless pedal would help, is it the speedplays? Maybe different cycling shoes? Maybe it's just my crappy feet! 
I am wearing my old orthodics in my bike shoes but they are only 3/4 length (my new orthotics don't fit). I put a padded forefoot cushion insole in my bike shoes to compensate for the short orthodic . It doesn't hurt when I'm riding but the next day I definatley have tender spots on the balls of my feet.

2010-07-29 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3011671

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Metatarsalgia from clipless pedals??

Could be. What does your bike store have to say about it?  did they fit you after you went clipless?  Couldbe the position of the cleat

2010-07-29 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

The balls of my feet are very sensitive. I have had several neuromas and get soreness from running and from walking around barefoot.

I used to have pain in the ball of my foot after long rides quite frequently. i also got hot spots or burning under the ball of my foot. This was using speedplay light action.

I switched to Look Keos and no problems since.

Edited by Nipper 2010-07-29 3:12 PM
2010-07-29 5:18 PM

User image

Bronze member
Interesting, I paid the big bucks for a bike fitting in the spring. I bought the bike last April, aerobars in May, clipless pedals in August (borrowed a friends old shoes), bought some tri fly shoes in December then got fitted in February. I put the cleats on my new shoes myself and they were in the wrong spot. The bike shop measured and put them on correctly but I'm still having trouble. I will check out the Look pedals. I really don't want to sit around the house with my foot in a bucket of ice after every ride!!
2012-03-20 12:44 PM

Here is an old but very good study.

http://www.tulane.edu/~sbc2003/pdfdocs/0405.PDF

2012-03-20 12:55 PM

2012-03-20 3:11 PM

User image

Regular

My friend has metatarsalgia, and her doctor feels her problems came from riding her bike in too narrow of a bike shoe.  She uses Shimano road pedals and got some great shoes that fit well, but her feet tend to swell while on the bike and the shoe becomes tight.  Maybe that could be it?

jami 

2012-03-20 5:08 PM

User image

Master
PNW

I used to have similar problems.  I did three things to fix them.

1) switched to a larger platform pedal on the bike I use for long rides (>50 miles).  I started with SPD's and switched to SPD-L's and they've been great.

2) pick the stiffest shoe I could find.  I have two pair - both have carbon soles for stiffness.  One pair is a road shoe, the other a mtn shoe.  I don't own tri specific shoes.

3) pick the widest shoe I could find.  This applies to both running and cycling.  I needed way more room in the toe box than typical shoes would provide.  This was more critical in a running shoe, but it applied to cycling, too.  Unfortunately, I also have small feet, so my choices were limited.

All of the above gives me the best I can get.  If I could, I'd get an even wider cycling shoe but they currently don't exist for me.  I'm hopeful that they will someday because until the barefoot craze, wide enough shoes didn't exist for running for me either. ;-)

2012-03-23 10:31 PM

User image

Redmond, Oregon

I have Morton's Neuroma in both feet and buying stiff shoes and wide platform pedals helps me.  I have Specialized Pro shoes that are carbon fiber and Shimano SPD pedals.  I don't do as much mountain biking so I have cheaper shoes and it's amazing how soon my feet will start to bother me.

2012-04-05 8:04 PM

Go to your local ski shop who carries Sidas insoles, and have them make you "fully conformable insoles" for your bike shoes.  Also be sure that the shoes are not tight between 1st and 5th mets (big toe knuckels).  The Sidas actually conform to each joint and individual toes, where most all other orthotics stop at end of your arch.  This keeps the bones from compressing, limiting blood-flow, pinching nerves, and causing inflamation.  I use them in fitting, and have had 100% success with clients who have similar/same issues.  If your shoes are too tight along the toe-knuckles, it will cause metatarsalgia issues too.  And don't expect any miracles from met-pads, either.  Maybe Ok for running, but only 50% of the time for cyclists (despite Specialized's claims).  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Metatarsalgia from clipless pedals?? Rss Feed