General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is a Computrainer worth it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-29 9:11 AM

Boulder County, CO
Subject: Is a Computrainer worth it?
I'm not a 'serious' triathlete in the sense that I don't 'win' races or anything, but I did my first HIM in June and am totally hooked!  Unfortunately, I live in the mountains of CO - bike season is short here.  Debating about investing in a Computrainer for winter training (which is essentially 8-9 months out of the year up here).  Thoughts?  Are there other maybe less expensive indoor, computer-type trainers?

2010-07-29 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3011784

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: RE: Is a Computrainer worth it?

kbunning - 2010-07-29 9:11 AM I'm not a 'serious' triathlete in the sense that I don't 'win' races or anything, but I did my first HIM in June and am totally hooked!  Unfortunately, I live in the mountains of CO - bike season is short here.  Debating about investing in a Computrainer for winter training (which is essentially 8-9 months out of the year up here).  Thoughts?  Are there other maybe less expensive indoor, computer-type trainers?

I don't htink it's worth it.  I bought (well, I bought the similar TACX Fortius) and now it just collects dust.  I went and purchased a $300 CycleOps to use instead and like it a lot more. 

2010-07-29 9:23 AM

User image

Elite
Miami
i think it depends where you live.  in miami there is no such thing as off season, coldest day is 45-50 degrees.  and that is mainly in the morning.

but i have lived in utah, i would definitely get something like that considering you can bike from april to maybe end of october.
2010-07-29 10:15 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
kbunning - 2010-07-29 7:11 AM I'm not a 'serious' triathlete in the sense that I don't 'win' races or anything, but I did my first HIM in June and am totally hooked!  Unfortunately, I live in the mountains of CO - bike season is short here.  Debating about investing in a Computrainer for winter training (which is essentially 8-9 months out of the year up here).  Thoughts?  Are there other maybe less expensive indoor, computer-type trainers?

Where in the mountains? I went to school at Western State (Gunnison), and we were able to ride at least a couple of days a month outside, year round.

I highly recommend rollers, or the Kurt Kinetic series of trainers.

John
2010-07-29 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3011802

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
AndrewMT - 2010-07-29 9:20 AM

p>I don't htink it's worth it.  I bought (well, I bought the similar TACX Fortius) and now it just collects dust.  I went and purchased a $300 CycleOps to use instead and like it a lot more. 

Not to hijack the thread, but curious to know what you didn't like about the Fortius. I have had the Tacx I-Magic for years and really like it (as much as you can like a trainer). I find that the VR interface really helps me spend more time on the trainer (only in the winter) vs just spinning away on a non-VR trainer.

With the addition of the Real Life Videos, now the Google Earth interface, and Netathlon, you really have a lot of options.

Edited by rventuri 2010-07-29 10:48 AM
2010-07-29 10:53 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
I live in Wisconsin, home of the 2-week Summer, so I ABSOLUTELY think my CT was worth the investment. In fact, I'd say I put in at least as many hours on my CT as on the roads.

I love the variety of courses and the feature that allows you to race against your own past performances. On "serious" days, I'll leave my TV on the 3-D display, other days I'll flip back and forth with TV or a DVD, but every workout I benefit from the variable resistance that the CT provides. I appreciate the data, but don't go overboard with it and I never use the Coaching software, nor do I have any of the Real Course videos. For me, it's worth it alone just to have lots of different courses to ride and keep the training experience interesting.

2010-07-29 1:38 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
2010-07-29 1:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
If you have the budget for it, it's a great investment. I love mine and you will see good improvement over the winter seasons if you use it regularly. Probably no better way to improve your pedal stroke (spinscan is the best!).
2010-07-29 2:01 PM

User image

Chicago
I have the Tacx Bushido, basically a wireless VR trainer and I love it. I'm 4 months post ACL replacement, I used it a lot after the initial injury to get stronger presurgery and obviously post op as well. The variety of courses, VR, training with "famous cyclist" video series all make sitting inside on a bike for 2+ hours tolerable.

I'm in Chicago so pretty much November through April I'll be using it.  The biggest benefit of the Bushido is it's completely wireless, no cables to computer no power cables. Your effort spinning powers the unit. I've gone as slow as 6mph climbing Ventoux without issues, besides my legs screaming at me. This allows you to do the videos, VR, etc of just setup it up anywhere and spin. You can use the included handlebar computer like a Garmin to track distance, speed, HR, power, etc. 

If you have any specific questions let me know!
2010-07-29 4:03 PM

User image

New user

I have both the Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer and a Computrainer.

There's pretty much nothing of real value that can be done on the Computrainer that can't be done on the Kinetic with their psuedo-power meter.  If I remember right the Kinetic plus the power thing were ~$300 total brand new.

The only advantages the computrainer offer are the automation and the ability to "force" yourself to ride at a perscribed wattage level in erg mode.  In order to get the same effect on the Kinetic you have to manipulate your gearing while keeping an eye on the power meter.  With the Computrainer you can program in wattage intervals and as long as you keep pedaling you know you're at the correct wattage.  Whether or not these things are worth the extra thousand bucks are entierly up to you.

IMO the other Computrainer features like the 3D courses and Real Course Videos are a fun game for a few minutes, but the novelty wears off quickly.  From a training persective these things are garbage compared to banging out good old fashioned intervals.

2010-07-29 4:04 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-07-29 6:06 PM

Bedford, NH, USA
The CT in erg mode with erg files from Trianingpeaks Hunter Allen and ErgVideos are excellent in quantitating your power and delivering just the right training. That and a good coach who deals with power, like one from TrainingPeaks or Phil Skiba from PhysFarm. RaceDay Apollo or Wko+ are good choices. RaceDay is geared to Triathletes who SBR with power. It's the best!
2010-07-30 10:45 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Hands down my CT is the best investment I have made in tri equipment. I do IM's and have been able to ride every course with the Real Course Videos before ever getting to the host city. It is priceless and like there website says it will get you on the trainer double what you would have without them. Also being able to simulate hills, hard to do that with a normal trainer. I am sure I ride way more miles on my trainer in a year than outside.

Plus the power aspect and spinscan, can't beat it.
2017-02-16 1:03 AM
in reply to: kbunning

Hey there, I completely feel that computrainer is worth it. I too live in an area where the weather conditions are unpredictable and because of which I used to skip my cycle training, then one of my friends suggested me to make use of most accurate bike trainer which helped me to perform my training while riding indoors. One of the benefits of computrainer is that one gets a real feel of riding and one can choose any route all around the world which is beneficial for hill training. That's why I really feel that computrainer is worth it.
2017-02-16 11:52 AM

I live in a short bike season state as well. I bought the Kickr after the Cyclops collected dust. Love the Kickr and for me, completely worth it as gives great stats, can do the virtual racing with others via Zwift, etc. I need to be distracted while doing the trainer and this does the trick.
2017-02-16 10:38 PM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

I think you can get by with any smart trainer or dumb trainer if you already have power. Zwift and TrainerRoad both offer plenty of content to keep you engaged and wanting to ride.

2017-02-17 11:10 PM

Pro
, New Hampshire
For me yes, well worth it. It keeps the riding more interesting and I can customize my training to fit exactly what I need when I need it.
2017-02-18 11:34 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Bellevue, WA

EDIT: Oh, I see this is a resurrected thread from 2010.  LOL. 

Stay away from a CompuTrainer.  It is way too expensive for your needs and IMHO is junk.  Instead, go read DC Rainmaker's buyer's guide: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/10/annual-winter-2016-2017-bike-smart-trainer-recommendations.html

To explain why I think it's junk, back in 2007-2010 I had a CompuTrainer that I bought on eBay then re-sold on eBay. This is 2017, and that thing is still stuck in the 90s.  For example, the controller unit was designed for a serial port which was common 90s technology.  Now everything is USB, and there are no serial ports anywhere.  When I had my CompuTrainer, this was a hassle because you had to go find some USB to serial port adapter to make it work.  Did RacerMate fix their unit?  Nope.  Now the just include an adapter. Go read http://www.racermateinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/SystemRequirements2017.pdf

It's a solid piece of hardware, but the controller is ancient and the software is junk.  People with CompuTrainers generally suffer it, or use third party software.

Supposedly there's a new controller coming per DC Rainmaker, but that was in 2015 and the link above (with 2017/01 in the link) says it's still USB to serial. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/09/computrainer-controller-bluetooth.htm

Because the software and serial-USB was junk (and BTW I'm a software guy),  the CompuTrainer was incredibly annoying at times.  When it worked, it worked well enough in Windows 98 kind of way. But when it didn't work, then it would ruin my workout.  I wanted a bike trainer so I can conserve my time while doing Ironman training.  When I have a 60 minute ride planned, that means I get up at 6am, start riding by 6:30, finish at 7:30, cool down, shower, dress for work, and leave by 8:30 so I can get to work by 9am.  Guess what happens when the software won't boot, crashes part way through, or the thing won't connect, stops reading power, and 10-30 minutes are wasted trying to get it to work?  It means I just blew my workout for the day. 

Nothing was more frustrating to be halfway through a 20 minute Z4 time trial and have the software crash.  What now? Get off the bike and try to fix it?  Sitting her at home seven  years later that still pisses me off!

For two years now I've been considering a new electronic trainer, but the hassle factor has been scaring me off.  I just use a Kurt Kinetic with Trainer Road.  I have Garmin Vector pedals, so what I'm missing is the computer controlled resistance, "follow the course of the race" type of thing.

Edited by brucemorgan 2017-02-18 11:36 AM
2017-02-19 1:41 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brucemorgan
Stay away from a CompuTrainer.  It is way too expensive for your needs and IMHO is junk. 

My experience is completely different than yours. And most people that have computrainers love them.

To address some of your issues

The computrainer today ships with a connector that goes from serial to USB. So it works with Windows and Macs. Users of older computrainers can buy that same connector for less than $20. So in 2015 and since 2011 this has been a non issue.

For the software, the original version was clunky and buggy. They came out with a new version around 2013 and it was much better but still very 1990ish. BUT, all the major software players out there, such as Zwift and TR support the computrainer. Golden Cheetah which is free does a great job of supporting it and is available on Mac as well.

In the 7 years I have owned a CT my Microsoft windows has crapped out dozens more times than my Racermate software. As a matter of fact I don't think Racermate 1, the version released around 2013 has ever crapped out.

Yes, the computrainer has wires. While that isn't as 2017 as it could be, there are people complaining about wireless dropouts and interference with units like the Kickr. I don't have a problem with the wires but it does make it less portable than many units out there. The high end Tacx is very transportable. The CT isn't.

Drawback of the CT is requiring a computer (PC or Mac) to run it. A tablet version would be nice.

You will be hard pressed to find units as accurate as the Computrainer. Wahoo had a generation of it's kickr that gave inaccurate numbers. There were dozens of posting on ST about this. There was rumor that the first ones were fine, but subsequent versions had issues. This was my experience and most important of all, confirmed to me by a Wahoo Product manager in person at Eurobike. This is the reason I would not use a Kickr. I spent months trying to figure it out for a friend, who today can only get accurate numbers if he controls the unit with his PM.

Today I would probably look at a high end Tacx if budget is not an issue. But with the CT having dropped their price sub $1k it is still worth looking at.

I would consider a units from the Powertap people because of their track record. Durability hasn't yet been proved but they make good products so I'd be willing to give it a chance

But the nice thing about the CT is there is little unknown. It works and it is extremely durable. Nobody can prove the equivalent durability.
2017-02-19 6:02 PM
in reply to: marcag

Pro

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by brucemorgan Stay away from a CompuTrainer.  It is way too expensive for your needs and IMHO is junk. 

THIS..........For the software, the original version was clunky and buggy. They came out with a new version around 2013 and it was much better but still very 1990ish. BUT, all the major software players out there, such as Zwift and TR support the computrainer. Golden Cheetah which is free does a great job of supporting it and is available on Mac as well. 

AND DEFINITELY THIS.........You will be hard pressed to find units as accurate as the Computrainer.

That is all.

2017-02-20 10:54 PM
in reply to: marcag

I run a CT and bought it back before other smart trainers were available. I used the software for a while but honestly I get on it twice a week, run it in erg mode with intervals given by my coach and watch the walking dead of man in the high castle or treme or whatever. Using it and a plan took me from a MOP cyclist to FOP cyclist. Of course you put the work in you will get results. Would I buy it today? No idea but given this thread is nearly a decade old (!!!!) that's sort of irrelevant.

2017-02-21 12:02 AM

Veteran
Indiana
My take:
Fancier trainers don't really help that much.
What makes the difference is having a structured program and doing it regularly.

Check out Trainerroad.com

You can use just about any trainer, pick up a cheap speed/cadence sensor, and you're good to go.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is a Computrainer worth it? Rss Feed