General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Has anyone done the Marin County Olympic Tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-07-29 11:52 AM

User image

Vallejo
Subject: Has anyone done the Marin County Olympic Tri?
I MTB in the area so know area and it is very scenic and would love to do another one of that length around the end of October but it is really pricey and wonder if it is worth it.  Any info from anyone that has done it would be much appreciated. 

Oh and exactly how cold is that water!!!

2010-07-29 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3012195

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
Subject: RE: Has anyone done the Marin County Olympic Tri?
I didn't do the race but some friends of mine did. You're right, it is a bit expensive, that is the only thing that turned me off from it.

The water is not that cold by bay area standards. I imagine it will be 60 or so depending on the tide. It can be very shallow here right off the beach. There could be some currrent.
2010-07-30 12:33 AM

User image

Bay Area, CA
I did it last year and it was just 'okay' and IMO not worth the cost. The swim was actually pretty cold (I live here so am somewhat used to the bay, but it was chilly even still), lots of rocks att he start (lots of cut feet), kind of an annoying to navigate swim, a rolling and VERY narrow bike course (barely enough room to pass in parts) and the run is on the bike course too. I had a good race but am not sure I would go back.
2010-07-30 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
The Vineman Showdown (Sprint) is held at the same place and I've done that one for the past 3 years so I know what you mean by the road. It's pretty rough and yes, it is hard to pass. I think last year's Marin tri was scheduled during a minus tide so there were a lot of exposed rocks and some people got cut up. My only real complaint about McNears Beach is getting out of there. You either have a take a tiny little bike path, a walking path with stairs, or the actual road (a steep hill with speed bumps). That's the only real problem with this venue in my opinion.
2010-08-02 5:22 PM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
I agree, it's just OK. The race lost a lot when the changed the course last year. They split N San Pedro Road into "3 lanes", if you wan to call it that. One for bike out to the turnaround, one for bike in from the turnaround, and the third for the runners. As said earlier, this made it very tight in some spots to pass especially on those winding roads. You do the bike loop 3 times and the run is basically the same route. I thought two years ago it had a much better course. The bike went out to Lucas Valley Road and back and the run was 5k on the road and then a 5k return through the hills where you mountain bike. I thought the swim was great, just make sure you hit the first bouy with that 4 knot current. I don't plan on racing it this year unless they change the course because of the cost. On the plus side the goodie bags and t-shirt at the end of the race have been nice.

Scott
2010-08-02 5:36 PM

User image

Vallejo
Thanks for the info.  Since I have not gotten much good feedback besides it's ok I think I'm gonna skip it.  For that cost I want it is amazing!  Might do one around the same time outside of Vegas called the Pumpkinman which has gotten mixed reviews but might be fun to go to Vegas, swim in Lake Mead and for about the same cost as Marin including travel.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Has anyone done the Marin County Olympic Tri? Rss Feed