General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hightstown Triathlon Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-09-23 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3013908

User image

Cherry Hill, NJ
Subject: RE: Hightstown Triathlon Official Thread
There are people who are doing this one without a wetsuit right?

2010-09-23 9:34 AM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
I would bet that a third to half of the athletes wont have a suit. A lot of first timers will be at this race.
Its do-able, but it will be chilly. Make sure to get a warm-up swim in and also be sure to "dunk" your head a few times before trying to swim. This will help you to reduce/avoid the cold-water hyperventilation affect.

These next few days of really warm weather ought to help us a little bit.
2010-09-23 9:47 AM

User image

Northern NJ

No wetsuit for me... will have to budget some time to get in the water before the pre-race meeting.

Even if I had a wetsuit it's really not worth it for a ~10 minute swim.

accuweather now says "party sunny" w/ high of 71

I really wish they would make this race one or two weeks earlier!

2010-09-23 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3113772

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
JN76 - 2010-09-23 10:47 AM

No wetsuit for me... will have to budget some time to get in the water before the pre-race meeting.

Even if I had a wetsuit it's really not worth it for a ~10 minute swim.

accuweather now says "party sunny" w/ high of 71

I really wish they would make this race one or two weeks earlier!

Always worth it if its legal. That ~10min swim could be an ~8 min swim

I just see "few showers" on weather.com. If that is the case, it wouldnt be horrible. It was all out raining last year for most of it as I recall. Regardless, the temps should be very nice. Maybe a little on the cool side headed out on the bike, but its better than the 85-90s and humid that we have had over the past couple of days!
2010-09-23 11:19 AM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
I ended up doing last years without a suit as the water temp was warmer than the cold rain that was coming down. Planning on using the suit this year as really liked how I felt in the water with it at Asbury Park Tri.

Thanks for the bike report.
2010-09-24 9:08 AM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
Well, my hand-o-meter reading was slightly off. 75 degrees! Wow. I am sure it warmed up some this week, but I was a little off. I am still betting a WS legal race, but by no means is one going to be required. I am shooting for the A/G podium again this year trying to defend the crown, so I am definitely wearing one if legal.

Should be a great race. Weather picture looks to be improving and no matter what, it seems that it should be better than last year. Here is hoping!!

Good luck everyone! See you in transition on Sunday morning. I always have a sponge bob balloon on my rack (gift from my kids..every race). So stop by and say hi if there is time. I have a black 2XU tri-suit and wetsuit.

2010-09-24 2:06 PM
in reply to: #3115692

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
See you there John. I'll plan on finding you on Sunday. I'll probably be the only one with a red/black BMC road bike in transition.

JohnAgs3 - 2010-09-24 10:08 AM

Well, my hand-o-meter reading was slightly off. 75 degrees! Wow. I am sure it warmed up some this week, but I was a little off. I am still betting a WS legal race, but by no means is one going to be required. I am shooting for the A/G podium again this year trying to defend the crown, so I am definitely wearing one if legal.

Should be a great race. Weather picture looks to be improving and no matter what, it seems that it should be better than last year. Here is hoping!!

Good luck everyone! See you in transition on Sunday morning. I always have a sponge bob balloon on my rack (gift from my kids..every race). So stop by and say hi if there is time. I have a black 2XU tri-suit and wetsuit.
2010-09-27 9:22 AM

User image

Cherry Hill, NJ
Well, that was fun.  Great event, I thought.

I'm OK with my time, definitely need to work on the swim,  but I'm a work in progress.  The water temp was chilly, but definitely tolerable.  The bike course was well marked with all the potholes and manholes circled in orange.
It seemed like I was riding into the wind a lot though??

Anyway, I'm interested to see the splits when they go up.

My total time 1:19:07

Edited by kdandrea 2010-09-27 9:24 AM
2010-09-27 10:19 AM

User image

Northern NJ
Finally a nice day for the H-town race!!  Everything was fantastic.

I was hoping to finish in the top 3 (Clydes) & got 1st in my group for the first time ever (1:12:44)
Forgot to start my watch b/c of the floating start.  Water was cold but not numbing, getting in for a practice swim helped too.
Doing two Olympic Distances (NJ State, 7/25 and Pine Barrens 9/11) was a huge help in being fit for this race and being able to hammer down as much as I could.

Can't wait to see the splits.

Thanks to JohnAgs3 for the bike course review, it was good to see they had painted those giant potholes to help w/ avoidance.  I hope you're OK, I didn't see your name on the results page.
Yes, it definitely seemed like we were riding into the wind most of the time... I was hoping at some point it would be with us but didn't happen...

Thanks to Darek and the entire staff for another great event.

Now to start planning next year's schedule.
2010-09-28 2:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
Yeah..uh bad day for me. First DNF. Ever.
Oh well. Life moves on. Trying to anyway.

Glad to hear you guys had good races. I will be back next year to make up for it.

2010-09-28 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3122225

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Good attitude John. I didn't catch up to you before the race and then didn't see you after or in the results so was wondering what happened.

JohnAgs3 - 2010-09-28 3:41 PM

Yeah..uh bad day for me. First DNF. Ever.
Oh well. Life moves on. Trying to anyway.

Glad to hear you guys had good races. I will be back next year to make up for it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hightstown Triathlon Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2