Ironman North America
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 11h 45m 28s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 25/141
Pre-race routine:

Having done this race before, I knew what to expect in the days leading up and I was happy to stay at home til Friday, just chilling out with my family.
I drove up on Friday by myself, checked in, hung out with Mary and then joined my family on Saturday after checking bike and bags in.

On Sunday my mum and dad drove me in from the cabin we were staying in near Jay. Pre race breakfast was the tried and trusted protein powder, applesauce, banana and sports drink. Then the 1/2 power bar an hour before and caffeinated gel 30mins before.
I got there at about 5.30, got my bike ready, checked my bags and took my SN bags up Mirror Lake Drive

Event warmup:

I decided I needed to try a last minute potty stop and there were queues and queues so I trotted up to SN area to a shorter queue. By the time I got back most people were in or getting in the water so it was a bit of a rush. Saw fred and the boys, mum and dad and off I went
Swim
  • 1h 07m 29s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

I decided to start in the same place as I did in 2007 when I did this - towards middle about half a dozen people back. What a completely different experience it was this year to 2007. In hindsight (and if I ever did this race again) I'd start way right towards the front.
I don't think I was able to swim more than a couple of proper strokes for the entire first half lap. It was chaos. I got so fed up of being bashed and people grabbing my legs at some points that I shouted at people to get off me - of course a complete waste of energy and they couldn't hear. At some point my watch got knocked so I didn't have a running time for the day and also at end of loop one my timing chip got pulled loose so had to redo that. Loop 1 was around 32 mins I think but I decided that for loop 2 I was going to swim wide just for a bit more of a pleasurable swim. Of course that meant less draft but I didn't care at that stage.

What would you do differently?:

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with my swim time as it is a few seconds slower than last time and I know I've improved but it didn't really matter at the time - just move on.

I have to say that although I've never had a hankering to do multiple ironman races I probably wouldn't choose to do this again simply because of the chaotic mass start - there were too many people and it just wasn't fun.
Transition 1
  • 06m 34s
Comments:

This was OK. I jogged along into transition, changed fairly quickly and off I went. I was right at the far end from the bike exit so the logistics meant it was always going to take a while but in the scheme of the day no big deal.
It was clustered to get out of the bike exit, then the guy in front of me dropped his bottle and had to come back for it so we had to wait - nothing earth shattering though

Could I have done this faster? YES. Does it matter in the scheme of things NO

I am a little surprised it is quite as long as I didn't change (wore my tri top and shorts throughout)
Bike
  • 6h 17m 6s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Hmm, where to start. I should say that I was happy with the way my whole day turned out but with hindsight I have lots to say!

My first loop I took easy but steady. I wore my HRM but didn't look at it til yesterday. I can't access splits now but I think my first loop was around 3:02 and I remember thinking "wow, I don't feel tired, I'm not sore, I feel fresh". I felt fine on the second loop too. I was really really conscious of being told I was a strong biker so take it easy and save it for the run. I think in hindsight I took it too easy. I really used the easy gears up the hills and just pedalled along. My mantra from EN was "just ride along". My HR for the last 11 (hindsight here) was 140 which is only mid z2. My av HR for the whole ride was 135 which is at bottom of z2 for me.
Lazy girl I am - but in my defense, in 2007 I had an awful run and one of my major goals this year was for a better run so I was rather cautious.

Thinking of myself as a relatively strong biker I am disappointed to see myself ranked lowest in the 3 sports for my AG for bike.

On the positive side, no flats, perfect temperature, nutrition fine (I only peed once though) so really overall quite happy with this - I just know I could have done better :)
Max speed on the descent 46.6 (darn still can't get that 50 they talk about).

Ride it a bit harder.
But this isn't a distance that you can tweak here and there to see what works unless it consumes your life!

Transition 2
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

Volunteer took my bike - she even wheeled it whilst I remembered to take the garmin off.
All felt fine. I sat down in the changing tent and took my time changing shoes but all smooth and OK

Nothing
Run
  • 4h 10m 37s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I stuck to my plan like glue. First 30mins I told myself keep it really slow. This was hard as my legs wanted to go faster and it was down hill but the plan was to come in around 9min miles and I was just under this so all good.
After that I just plodded along quite happily. As planned I walked aid stations whilst eating/ drinking and parts of the 2 big hills (plus one small hill in the middle once) but else ran the whole thing.

I delayed the coke til half way. I remember stopping to talk to my mum and dad on the way out on loop 2 at just over 2 hours and telling them that I was fine but I may be a little longer on loop 2 as I was starting to feel a bit tired. And then I started on the coke and I felt fine! I remember having these absurd conversations with myself about how race doesn't start til mile 18 -20 and then I was supposed to put down a good last 10k - but that started at bottom of big hill so was ridiculous! When I felt tired and was going from mile to mile I put it all in perspective by telling myself of course I was tired I was on mile 19 of a freaking marathon!
I finished strong, never in doubt and my last mile run split showed I still had some juice left!
Mentally I nailed this race.
My pace for the whole day was around 9min miles to 9min 15ish. The overall is slower because of the aid station stops and the hills.

It was weird because the limiter seemed to be my ability to take deep breaths. I could only breathe shallowly for this whole run and actually for the whole of Monday too. I'm perfectly healthy so no idea why this was but I'd like to figure it out.

I guess if I want to average 9min miles for a marathon I have to run 8min miles to allow for aid stations and big hills!
Post race
Warm down:

Family was there at the finish.
Went and sat in the food area with a fellow Brit who I'd actually met whilst running on our training weekend a few weeks ago.
Then headed up to tennis court for rendezvous with them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hmm, good one. Better ask my coach!
My goal was 11:15 and with that I figured I might have a shot at top 4 in my AG.
This year I don't think I'd have got that anyway and there were a LOT of girls in my AG about the same finishing times between 11:15 and 11:45.
I'm relaxed about that. I had a good race. I finished feeling fine.
I had a day of struggling to go down stairs but by mid week feel completely normal so have bounced back really well.
I have loved the challenge of this distance but I don't want to commit the time it takes in training to do this again. For me, there are too many other things in life I want to do. I need to discuss with coach Mary before I figure out which shorter distance I could become more competitive in - cos even though I don't want to race again this year I know next year I'll need another challenge

Event comments:

What can I say it's an Ironman!
But the swim isn't really a competitive swim anymore for anyone but the fasties out front. Think they need to do something about that - even if they set men and women off separately maybe?

Last updated: 2009-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:07:29 | 4224 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/141
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: full
Course: 2 laps of thrashing
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:34
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:17:06 | 112 miles | 17.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/141
Performance: Average
from garmin elevation gain 5261 av cadence 86 av HR 135 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/42608607
Wind:
Course: 2 hilly laps
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:10:37 | 26.2 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/141
Performance:
av HR 136 (v low z2) max was in 140s which is still zone 2 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/42608611
Course: 2 loops. 2 big hill but else easy rolling
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-01 3:06 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: Ironman USA Lake Placid

2010-08-01 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3016819

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid

Awesome job, Jackie!!!!!  You did a great job on a long day.  Its amazing how much more in control you were this time.  Way to go!!!!

2010-08-01 7:07 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-08-01 7:25 PM

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Nice job Jackie!! Way to stay in control! Who knows what would have happened with your run if you had pushed harder on the bike? I think you did the right thing and followed the right plan for the day.

Congrats!!
2010-08-01 7:32 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sea Isle City, NJ
Nice job out there! Way to stay within yourself on the bike and allow for a great run. That swim was just nuts for the first 3/4 mile!
2010-08-02 7:07 AM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great race Jackie!! You had a great plan and you stuck to it!! Way to go!!

Congratulations on a great finish!!

2010-08-02 10:29 AM

Champion
MA
Congrats on well executed race!

Good luck finding a new goal. Enjoy your recovery.

Sucks that the swim is so congested that most folks can't get clean water to swim in.
2010-08-02 1:13 PM

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Congrats, you should be incredibly proud! I couldn't do any of the three legs nearly as fast (I am actually Lazy ). Hope recovery is continuing to go well!
2010-08-04 9:12 AM

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Congrats on a great race!! I had the same thoughts about that last 10k- how it started RIGHT at the bottom of that huge uphill, and it just destroyed my hopes of having a killer 10k split. Oh well! You really nailed your race, though, and I hope you continue to be proud of executing your plan!!
2010-08-04 11:38 AM

Master
Millersville, MD
Congrats on a great race, Jackie.  Sorry we dind't get to meet, but if it's any consolation, I would have been happy with your swim time even though I didn't have a very crowded swim

I think being disappointed in your split for your strongest discipline shows a well exectuted race, generally speaking.
2010-08-04 9:38 PM

Master
Canandaigua
Way to execute a plan.  I have no interest in that swim at all.  Good job Congrates.

2010-08-05 7:57 AM

Master
syracuse
great job jackie!

2010-08-05 8:36 PM

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Love your RR Jackie!  You make doing an Ironman sound easy.  Smile