General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Meter benefits for new triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-09-01 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3075505

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rockville, MD
Subject: RE: Power Meter benefits for new triathlete
jhouse4 - 2010-09-01 9:49 AM

dcrainmaker - 2010-08-04 12:30 PM
tnc615 - 2010-08-04 12:46 PM
nhunter344 - 2010-08-04 8:34 AM Ive been looking at picking up one as well. Right now I like what I see coming out of the MetriGear camp. Much easier to switch pedals from bike to bike than it is to switch cranks.

Only problem is that they are about 6 months behind releasing it and no real product offering in sight. Thats not such a bad thing as I would rather they fine tune everything before releasing it.

For now, I can wait.

I don’t see the Metigear coming out in the immediate future so I would not be holding my breath. Nor do I see it being as "economical" as they stated that it would be.  There is only one head unit that will accept two ANT+ streams of data at once and it costs a mere $1300.00. So for the correct set up, you are at 2K for the two powermeters (one in each pedal as described on their website “Independently measures forces in each leg, and reports total power (watts)&rdquo So by my math this device is going to roughly cost around $3300.00 (unless another manufacturer can come up with a device that can accept two streams of data cheaper) to get it to be where it needs to be to operate correctly, further the manufacturer of this head unit is currently working on their own powermeter that works off of crank arms so production of the head unit for Metigear is not their highest priority. At that price you can get 2 powertap wheels one Zipp 404 with an SL+ the other a DT Swiss with a PRO+ and Servo Computer or for 300 dollars less or for about 200 dollars more 2 Quarq’s with 2 Garmin 500’s.

My understanding based on some earlier docs from them is that one of the pedals is resonsible for data consolidation and relaying the combined ANT+ data steam to the head unit.

They've touted the additional advantage that if down the road they/you wanted to, you could access independent pedal data for each stream, but that's not a requirement up front.  So really, even the cheapest ANT+ Power Head unit ($80 for Bontrager non-recording) would work, though the next cheapest is $200 for the Edge 500.

The costs they've always quoted have been sub-$1K for everything (both pedals).  Though I agree I think we'll see that price creep slightly higher.  By the same token, rumors are swirling that it's being funded by Polar lately...so that might actually drive price down.

So it appears that look/polar will be the first to the market with a pedal based powermeter. Bad news is MSRP is a little under 2400.00 USD

Yeah, I saw that. Sucks that it uses Polar's transmission standard and completely ignores ANT+. Still too pricey for me. Im holding out hope that Metrigear brings a better, more compatible offering to the table.

2010-09-01 11:47 AM
in reply to: #3019116

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Jorge and others have given good advice, but I would also mention a better to understand training with power book.

'The Triathlete's Guide to training with Power'
it's by Dr. Phil Skiba and IMO better than the other Power book.
Go to www.PhysFarm.com.  it's only $20.
2010-09-01 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
I considered investing in PM, & decided against it. I agree with Jorge that for many (most?) a good coach would be a better investment (and I have no financial interest in either coaching or PM sales).  I know it's cool to see what you wattage is going up a big hill, but a PM cannot give the ongoing motivation, support, advice, etc. that a good coach can. 

PM is a tool. Nothing more & nothing less.  Another parameter to follow & interpret.  Useful for pacing an IM, esp on hilly or very windy course, or periodically measuring cycling fitness.  PM use in daily training is a different decision.  As with other training guides (HR, RPE, etc.), it is NOT perfect.  IMHO no monitor of a complex biological "engine" like the human body ever will be.  Truth is there are many outstanding cyclists (past & present) who train(ed) without PM- or in practice ignore the power data collected. Sort of an "I don't need a machine to tell me 6 x 105% LT intervals hurt" attitude.  Whatever.  If you have the $$ & motivation to use one & interpret the data properly, then by all means go for it.  

If you want a PM, might consider buying one used from someone who bought then tired of the novelty.  Almost always a rider in my local cycling club selling their near-new PT (most common PM around here by far).

Edited by Oldteen 2010-09-01 12:06 PM
2010-09-01 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
powermeter : cycling = gps : running Wink
if you know (and if you see) the benefits of having a gps in running, then, believe me, the powermeter will make you the same on the bike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Power Meter benefits for new triathlete Rss Feed  

of 2