General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FIRST POST, FIRST TRIATHLON... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-16 8:53 PM

neptune beach, florida
Subject: FIRST POST, FIRST TRIATHLON...
Hola,

I'm a newbie to y'all and to the world of triathlons... I have to say, I'm impressed with this website, and I love training for my first Tri that I am running next Sunday July, 24. The Tri is an X-terra race with a half mile ocean swim, 13 mile mountain bike ride and a 5K trail run. Since I've started training a short eight weeks ago I have lost 15 lbs, my blood pressure has steadily dropped and my resting heart rate is in the mid forties. In addition to a pretty aggressive training schedule I tweaked my diet to maximize production. All of the information about Tris, training, diet, mind-set, etc. I learned by reading this website and through these forums. I am grateful for the information. Is there anything that y'all think might help me this last week up to race day? Monday I plan to run a 3/4 Tri to see where I'm at. Is that too close to the big day? Booze is done with after tonight, and water and sleep will be my main focus from tomorrow to Sunday... I am so stoked, so nervous and hopefully ready...

I appreciate y'all, any help that you can give me, and the people that made this site...

Jamie Temple

2005-07-16 9:15 PM
in reply to: #200117

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: FIRST POST, FIRST TRIATHLON...

Welcome Jaime!  Glad the site has been good to you.  It really is great.

This week, eat pretty normally for you (no need to drastic pre-race change it diet), rest, drink water and spend some time thinking about your transitions (what stressed me out most).  I found it really helpful to make a list of what I'd need for transitions and put in in the bag I was packing.  I could revisit the bag and list a few times to ease my nerves.

I'd say go for the practice tri...just don't push hard but learn what it will feel like. And give yourself time to taper later this week. I'm sure you are ready! Can't wait to hear the report...

Good luck!

Sarah

2005-07-16 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
firstly, good on you for coming so far so quickly.
You sound very organized already. I would suggest making sure you take a camera with you and someone to take all those photos of you competing in and finishing your very first tri!
Make sure you have practised over and over your transitions so they will go as smooth as possible. Don`t forget your adrenilene will be over flowing so you need to know how you want everything to be laid out and the order in which you will put things on/off.
I know there is alot to think of but if you can be prepared as much as possible it will make the day so much more enjoyable than it will already be! Have a blast, go for, enjoy it and make sure you smile when you cross that finish line.
2005-07-16 10:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Good luck and go hard!
2005-07-17 5:44 AM
in reply to: #200172

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Sounds like you will do well! Have fun.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FIRST POST, FIRST TRIATHLON... Rss Feed