General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training durring the hottest time of the day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-03 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
Subject: Training durring the hottest time of the day
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to train during the hottest time of the day.. ie: after work around 4:30 or 5:00.  Or am i better off getting up early and training b4 work.  The heat isn't what gets me tired it is the humidity that makes it harder to breath.  I kind of figured that if i can train when it is 95 with 90% humidity then i should be good to go on race day.

2010-08-03 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3021357

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: RE: Training durring the hottest time of the day
I try to get all my running in early. Weekdays its over by 6:45 or so. Sundays are the 'late' days when I get it done around 10am. I like to get my biking in early too but for long rides, usually have to be done on a Sunday may get later.

I can't deal too well with the heat and humidity (humidity more so). My head just about explodes and my face gets beet red. Heart rate climbs too.
Most of the races I've done are over by 10-11 am but I guess for HIM or IM, you would be looking into afternoon heat build up. I don't know if there is any real advantage to working out in the heat ALL the time... just once in a while to get used to it. Ultimately, the heat takes a lot out of me so if I were you, I'd make sure I was getting hydrated enough before AND after but also to get some running in during cooler times when it may be easier to work on pace. 
2010-08-03 1:58 PM

Regular
Advantage: working out in the heat makes your body adapt to it (tend to build up a greater blood volume over time if you're consistent) so if your race is in the heat, you'll be better off.

Disadvantage: it's harder to stay adequately hydrated and keep your core temperature down, so you may not be able to go as long and hard as you would if it were cooler.

Personally, I'll go out when it's hot only if I feel good.  If I'm having a bit of an off day, or I feel tired, I'll just wait until it's cooler out.
2010-08-03 2:28 PM

User image

Regular
Doylestown, PA

I have to believe that training in the heat is an incredibly beneficial way to go about it IF you’re able to maintain your hydration throughout.  Reason being… I’m located in PA where we just escaped nearly 3 full weeks of 95+ with humidity. I was running about 3 miles on those days prior to being forced to stop. Muscles ached, tons of sweat in the eyes, cramping everywhere – couldn’t even get a deep breath in.  

Then, the weather clears, and last night I go out and belt nearly 9 miles pain free, stopping only because it got pitch black.  All else equal, it seems like (for me at least) training in the heat works.

2010-08-03 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3021444

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Oh, Lord.

Training in the heat does provide an opportunity to acclimate to racing in the heat if that's something you are facing, however, training in heat also limits your ability to perfrom. So it's sacraficing quality for acclimation, which is not a great trade. Whenever possible, run when it's cooler so you can have quality training.
2010-08-03 2:33 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
It's not really a choice for me, in the peak phase of IM training.
High will be 109 today (set a record high yesterday) and I gotta ride nearly 2 hours after work. My plan is to take it easy and bring plenty of fluids.

2010-08-03 2:36 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
You bet, I often have no choice but to train long in the afternoon here in AZ during the summer, but I make every effort to get as much as I can get down as early as possible.
2010-08-03 2:40 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
For those of us doing HIMs and IMs, heat acclimatization is an important part of training. I'll be starting the run at IMKY during the hottest part of the day...in August. No way you're going to finish an IM run if you only train in the morning, when the weather is the coolest.

You do have to ensure you're properly hydrated and you have to be aware of your body. It's easy to become a casualty of the heat if you're not careful.
2010-08-03 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3021455

User image

Regular
Doylestown, PA
lisac957 - 2010-08-03 3:33 PM It's not really a choice for me, in the peak phase of IM training.
High will be 109 today (set a record high yesterday) and I gotta ride nearly 2 hours after work. My plan is to take it easy and bring plenty of fluids.

Wow, good luck. Be safe. 
2010-08-03 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Because of my work schedule and my commute, I have no choice but to train during the hottest part of the day. I just make sure I have lots of cold water in my fuel belt/bike bottles and I try to adjust my routes to stay in the shade. It can be done, but like others have said, just make sure you're fully aware of the drawbacks and are well prepared to face the dangers.
2010-08-03 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3021454

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
bryancd - 2010-08-03 2:32 PM Oh, Lord. Training in the heat does provide an opportunity to acclimate to racing in the heat if that's something you are facing, however, training in heat also limits your ability to perfrom. So it's sacraficing quality for acclimation, which is not a great trade. Whenever possible, run when it's cooler so you can have quality training.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.  He lives in AZ and ummm.... just looking at his race logs, probably knows a thing or two about proper training.  Holy cow Bryan, nice race at Dueces Wild!

2010-08-04 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
Great advice from everyone one!! thanks!!
2010-08-04 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Piling on with the try to avoid technique... otherwise you do get somewhat acclimated.  
2010-08-04 11:12 AM

User image

Pro

Is there any performance data on actually aclimating to the heat by training in the heat?
Clearly, you cannot work as intensely, so the exercise level will be less.

Kind of like training at altitude.  Sure, it helps you aclimate to the altitude, but since you cannot work out as intensely, you cannot train as effectively- so no benefit.  i.e. work out at low altitide and sleep at high altitude.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that it's overall, more effective to train in cooler weather.  it's also more comfortable and more fun.  It's brutal training in 100 degrees.

2010-08-04 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3022992

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
morey000 - 2010-08-04 12:12 PM

Is there any performance data on actually aclimating to the heat by training in the heat?
Clearly, you cannot work as intensely, so the exercise level will be less.

Kind of like training at altitude.  Sure, it helps you aclimate to the altitude, but since you cannot work out as intensely, you cannot train as effectively- so no benefit.  i.e. work out at low altitide and sleep at high altitude.

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that it's overall, more effective to train in cooler weather.  it's also more comfortable and more fun.  It's brutal training in 100 degrees.

Loads of research.  Knock yourself out.

This does not change the point, though, that you and others have made.  It is not necessary to do every workout in the heat to get some heat acclimatization.  There are various protocols for acclimatization, but I'm going with "Some of my workouts will inevitably be in 100 degrees/90% humidity and that's my acclimatization".  The rest of the time, I try to train when it is cooler (this being, of course, a relative term).

I don't use A/C at my house, and I find that in fact this helps a lot.  The heat hurts me much less than it used to.  (They call this 'passive acclimatization' in the biz.)
2010-08-04 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
I suffer terribly in the heat.  Being that I live in South FL and the heat index has been over 100F every day for the past 3 months, I'm as acclimated as I'm going to get.  I typically start my runs and bikes at 6-6:30AM so that I can get in as much 'quality' as I can.  The heat index is still 90F at that time, but that's about as good as it's going to get.

That being said, my sweat rate is absurdly high for my body weight.  I cannot stay adequately hydrated during the summer for efforts over 2 hours.   I can drink 80 oz of fluid in 2 hours and I still not have the urge to urinate for 4-5 hours after training.  Unfortunately, this has really put a limit on what types of events that I can adequately train for over the summer.  This will be my last year training for the half-iron distance due to the heat (the long bikes pretty much destroy me).  I'm going to stick with short course next year and just focus on my running.

That being said, my response to the heat is far more intense than most (dare I say all) of the other triathletes that I train with. Hence, your adaptation to the heat may be very different.  I guess in a nutshell, what I'm really trying to say is that even with heat training, you still may or may not be able to perform very well in the heat.  It really depends on exactly how your body chooses to adapt to the heat.  You may very well be golden OR you may be like me and wish for a move to Alaska.  If you are training in the heat, but your race will not be in the heat... well, I just don't get this.  I would much rather have a quality session at a cooler time of the day, stay hydrated and feel great afterwards.

2010-08-04 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Cincinnati
Subject: RE: Training during the hottest time of the day
I know these are completely different sports but I know that when we practiced for football, the end of our first practice and the beginning of the second practice were always in the hottest time of the day.  The reason being from our coaches and trainers were: if you an practice in the heat then you will be in better condition for games at cooler temps.   I am not sure how I feel about that seeing that I was 10 times more tired during a really hot practice as compared to a cooler temp.
 With that being said I went out and ran this morning before work and had a great run.  3 miles is usually where i really start feeling tired when i run after work.  Today i hit 3 miles and did 3 more.  I know that doesn't sound like much, but it was a great accomplishment for me.
2010-08-04 3:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas
No real choice here in Vegas.  Still over 100 at midnight.  But at least it's a dry heat.
2010-08-04 3:42 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Training in the heat build character.  :-)

It also prepares you for "worst case" race conditions should you face them on race day.

Other than that, I think training in the heat of the day is kinda like sitting in a sauna.  The benefits are questionable/debatable....
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training durring the hottest time of the day Rss Feed