United States
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 4s
Overall Rank = 65/139
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and had my oatmeal and coffee and a bottle of water. My stomach was way off today, and I almost ralfed(sp?)right before I loaded up the car to go, but didn't want to waste my pre-race energy food!
Event warmup:

Got my transition area set up, bikes were racked by AG, and mine was straight out the swimming pool door! Went in to do a swim warm-up, did 400 yards, stretched and then a hard 50. Pool temps were great! Then went back to check on my stuff to find someone had knocked my helmet and sunglasses off my bike onto the ground, WTF?? Got that fixed up and then ran into the friend that got me hooked on tris, only she hasn't done one since I met her!! Her son was the event photographer, so we sat and did some catching up until the pre-race meeting and lining up to start the snake swim.
Swim
  • 07m 40s
  • 450 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim, the seeding looked to be very good, at least for us fasties! I did pass the guy in front of me, not sure he wanted me to, but we reached the end of lane 7 about the same time, I flipped and passed him. So sad too bad guy! Stomach was still bothering me, but felt like I had a strong swim. Last year's swim went right to left, this years was left to right so I was able to use all flip turns, I'm sure that made it a faster swim.
What would you do differently?:

Push just a little harder maybe. 4th of 66 total women.
Transition 1
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

AG 1/8. Since my bike was so close to the swim exit (maybe 20 steps), I was still dripping wet and was pooling water at my feet as I was getting my socks on! They were a little obstinate, but got them on and headed out. I think I saved a good bit of time by keeping my Garmin on my bike and not having to try and get it on my wrist.

Maybe step on the towel to get socks on?
Bike
  • 29m 49s
  • 9.2 miles
  • 18.51 mile/hr
Comments:

I realized when I got to the first sharp turn and I braked, that obviously not only did someone knock my helmet off my bike in transition, they must have knocked over my whole bike because the left hand brake was all skewed crooked, I could barely grab it! Yeah, I was pissed! Because I was one of the first in the water I had open road for the bike... kind of good and bad. Didn't have to worry about passing a bunch of people, but not enough people out there to really keep my adrenaline pushing hard. I had hoped to be 19+ mph even with hills and wind. I was following one guy for a long time, passed another guy, then passed the original guy who passed me back about a mile from the bike finish. I thought about eating some Shot Blox, but decided not to chance anymore tummy discomfort. Legs were really feeling this ride, the whole time, and I was breathing hard. Probalby because I'm fighting off a cold.

Nothing, overall a pretty good ride. 4th of 66 total women.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Okay transition, but probably could have done it faster.

Nothing, just try and do it faster.
Run
  • 28m 44s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 11m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

SUCKAGE.... felt like a shuffle most of the run. I just couldn't seem to get my breathing under control and my HR was way high. Ended up having to walk a good bit. I kept thinking of how well Wilson ran yesterday, but even that wasn't enough to make me go any faster. One aid station, drank just a few sips of water. Tummy was really not feeling good and there was a threat of "seepage" in the tri shorts area, just felt awful. Didn't have too may people pass me, felt like I was running by myself most of the time. It got really hot in the sections that had no shade. I was able to give it a good kick into the finish line.

Keep working on the run and endurance. I haven't done a whole lot of long runs longer than 5 miles, I'm hoping that training for 2 half-marathons over the winter will help, please God help!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some cold Gatorade and some orange wedges and sat down in the grass in the shade. Talked to a few gals and waited a long time for everyone to finish before the awards ceremony. Had some more Gatorade and some animal crackers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The freakin' run, g-dammit!!!! I don't feel like I'm much better off than I was last season, even though I have made improvements. If I could get into the high 9's consistently, I would be happy. Also the stomach/GI issues didn't help, and neither did having to put my dog to sleep yesterday, that was heavy on my mind.

Event comments:

I really like this small venue race and the fact that I can ride the bike route whenever I want because it is so close to home. Next year the RD hopes to add another tri, this one with an OWS.

Last updated: 2010-07-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:40 | 450 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 20/139
Performance: Good
Suit: 2 piece tri suit
Course: Snake swim, left to right, 9 lanes.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:55
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:49 | 9.2 miles | 18.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 38/139
Wind: Some
Course: One loop, some hills, some smooth road, some crappy chip seal road. At one point incoming and outgoing bikes had to cross. We also had to go over about 3 speedbumps.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:44 | 02.5 miles | 11m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 112/139
Performance: Bad
Course: 2.5 mile loop, mostly in the sun, one long uphill incline that was matched by a long downhill incline.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-08 1:42 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: Temple Triathlon

2010-08-08 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3030178

User image

Harrison Twp
Subject: RE: Temple Triathlon
reading about your race was really exciting for me. congratuations on the race!
2010-08-08 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
You are such an amazing athlete! I'm glad you were able to push through all your obstacles of the day and still come out on top!  Congrats on a great race!
2010-08-08 8:22 PM

User image

You kicked some butt today ! Congrats !  anne K.
2010-08-08 10:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fantastic race, Hilde- the fact that you pushed through with so many setbacks really shows what you're made of!!
2010-08-09 8:46 AM

Veteran
Ahhhh, if only I could have a sucky run and still win my AG! Glad you had a good swim and bike. You'll be feeling better for the next one.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Temple Triathlon Rss Feed