General Discussion Race Reports! » Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sylvania, Ohio
United States
Elite Endeavors
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 37m 34s
Overall Rank = 121/293
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/16
Pre-race routine:

Went down on Saturday, drove the oly course, rode the sprint course, did packet pickup, had dinner with the gang, soaked the sticks and tried to get ready for the race. Stayed up TOOO late! Slept like crap, ate the usual toast with nut butter, coffee, gateraide and hit the race site. Broke USAT rules my chalking my rack spot, and corrected it by rinsing it away! :0 Oh my.
Event warmup:

Basically just ran the transitions to visulize rack spot and warm up a tad. Big field of athletes and lots of fasties! Got in the water, but never really swam...just waded and you know...warmed up the water. ;) Took a gu about 15 minutes prior to the start.
Swim
  • 28m 39s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my fastest no wetsuit swim to date! YAY! I checked my watch and was at 27:04 when actually exiting the water...a very good swim for me! I passed a few from the wave before me, and a few ladies in my wave. Kimm beat me out of the drink again though, just like at Blue Water! We were pretty well swimming together for the first leg though. I muffed some sighting on the way back and swam a tad extra. Not horrible though.
What would you do differently?:

I'm pretty happy with this swim. I was never gassed like last year, hr was good and felt strong throughout. I do get a little lazy in pace in the middle of the swim, so I need to focus on...staying focused! LOL. Sighting well and swimming straighter is an ongoing challenge for me, but I am improving! :)
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Long run along the very sandy beach to t1...glad I had an extra water bottle cause I used it to get the sand off my feet. I didn't practice transitions at all prior to this race, and it shows in my time. Kinda slowish. It was a long run in bike shoes to the mount line...if I took the time to learn the flying mount junior that would have helped. ;)

Not tons...practice prior to racing and actually practice the jr. edition of the mount. I always say that, but never do it. :(
Bike
  • 1h 10m 18s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Hmmm..still didn't push as hard as I'd set my goal watts to be. I really don't know why I can't get to the watts...fear of bonking? Fear of burning lungs? Fear of doing well and having to back it up next race? Bahhhh! I got lazy in the middle bits again (recurring theme here) and channelled my Pamela for some inspiration. It worked. :) I passed 3 girls in my ag, lots of youngin's and quite a few fellas. I do love getting my groove on, on the bike. I did set a new pr for this distance, and I'm might happy about that!

HTFU!!! My teammate Steve is SURE I can do better, and quite frankly so am I. I am learning how to push myself and race, and it is a work in progress. So, try try again to get to the watts my physiology says I can hold with out bonking! :)
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Yeah, I kinda stunk up this transition. Doh! I layed out my area differently (if I'd practice more, I would not have to think about it and/or do it different each race) so it took me a bit longer to get out running. Oops!

Um, practice! ;) Really, just keep the feet moving, run out with my visor in hand, not put it on in t2
Run
  • 54m 40s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I had high hopes of a pr, and it so didn't happen. :( I went out a little fast, the 2nd and 3rd miles were slower (walked through h20 3 and 4) and then I did a bit better. I felt like I could puke at one point (not from speed though...weird) The run was kinda boring and kinda hot, but the sprinklers and dumping of water on myself helped a lot. I passed one gal in my ag, and got passed by one gal in my ag.

Pace myself better...slower to start with a stronger finish. Usually when I stand alone run, that's how it goes. As always, my running is a work in progress.
Post race
Warm down:

walked a tad, stretched a tad and consumed on VERY tasty beer! MMMMMMMM! Beer!!! Watched for the hound ladies to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mindset. I've got to figure out how to push harder if I want to keep improving. Working on it, working on it! :)

Event comments:

Love the beer post race, a couple aid stations had themes, a large field of fasties to test yourself against, flat and fast. I really like this venue! Spending the night makes it an adventure! :) And like always, I love racing with friends...awesome!

Last updated: 2010-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:39 | 1500 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/16
Overall: 120/293
Performance: Good
Suit: no wetsuit
Course: rectangle with right turns.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:10:18 | 24.85 miles | 21.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 83/293
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: flat and fast course with a headwind/crosswind for most of the first 11 miles or so, and a decent tailwind/crosswind for the back half of the course. Only a few turns, so you didn't have to scrub speed often. :)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:54:40 | 06.21 miles | 08m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/16
Overall: 164/293
Performance: Average
Course: flat mostly sunny course...not too pretty either.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-09 10:30 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2010-08-09 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3031806

Master
Subject: RE: Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Nice race Trish!!  You are one speedy lady.

2010-08-10 5:20 PM

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Great race, Trish! All that bike training sure is showing up on race day. Keep up the great work, you're gonna kill it at IMFL.

Signed,
BigFan
2010-08-10 6:40 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Awesome race, roomie!!

2010-08-11 5:12 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Awesome job!! Way to kick butt on the bike- that's a great split!! You rock!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed