General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Second Tri and second time calf cramped on bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-09 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
Subject: Second Tri and second time calf cramped on bike

Hi all,

Did my second tri on Saturday (London Sprint) and, as the title says, my calf cramped up about 10 miles into the bike ride. The same thing happened in my first tri, which I put down to insufficient training, but since then I've increased my training to over 50mpw with my long rides being over 25miles with no issues.

I don't feel I pushed myself too hard during the swim and I drank about the same amount I normally would, so why do I keep cramping during races?

2010-08-09 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3031904

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Second Tri and second time calf cramped on bike

You're most likely pushing yourself too hard on the bike....asking your muscles to do something they're not prepared to do. Just keep training, ease back a little on the bike during races, and you should be fine! Good luck!

2010-08-09 11:40 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-08-09 11:47 AM

New user
Charlotte, NC USA
I'm dealing with cramping lately as well and think it has to do with hydration. Stay well hydrated, eat a banana or two each day, limit alcohol consumption (that was directed towards meEmbarassed), and train more.
2010-08-09 12:37 PM

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
That sounds like a bike fitness issue. You are probably pushing much harder in races than during training.
I doubt it is a hydration issue so soon into a race.
Go a little harder in training and pace a bit more in the next race.
2010-08-09 12:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
+1 on "pushing too hard for level of fitness". That is typically the cause, especially in shorter races. Especially with it being a calf cramp...in the bike. Back it down just a bit, and you will be fine. Happens to me all the time...sort of a good thing as you know you are really putting it out there

2010-08-10 8:40 AM

Regular
Bromsgrove, Midlands
I know it was hot on the Sunday for the OD but not sure the weather Saturday which may have attributes to sweating more.
I found the hills on the OD (to Billingsgate and Westminster) unexpected so had to work hardest than expected.
I then got a twing of cramp in my thigh on the run which stayed for sometime but managed to get rid of it with a couple of gels and gatorade.
Because of getting there late I hadnt prepared correctly so didnt take my usual powergel with added sodium. 

My legs felt fine running apart from the twing so Im putting mine down to hydration and electrolyte intake.

You could always try a thigh compression guard (compressport.uk.com), I have used them for longer distance events.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Second Tri and second time calf cramped on bike Rss Feed