Quakertown, Pennsylvania
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 57m 13s
Overall Rank = 255/355
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 32/36
Pre-race routine:

Got transition area set up, double checked everything, went to car, texted people, back to transition, took self portraits, ate lara bar, stretch and light run warm-up.
Event warmup:

lots of stretching and light running
Swim
  • 36m 20s
  • 1750 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had trouble maintaining my form. Mostly watching around too much maybe? Mostly with breathing. I did basically 2 stroke breath with some three stroke breath.
What would you do differently?:

2 stroke breathing seems to work best for me when in open water. I do mix in 3 stroke just to work both sides somewhat evenly. I "stopped" (breaststroke) too much. I can do this distance, but just didn't today, in all freestyle. I need to work on speed...I can do the distances, bu speed work is needed...
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

I did well here. I've been practicing transitions, getting into my shoes while on the bike. I was happy :). I drank some h20 quick, put on helmet and glasses, put lara bar in my shorts and took off.

nothing, I think...
Bike
  • 1h 18m 51s
  • 24.6 miles
  • 18.72 mile/hr
Comments:

I liked the course. The fast downhills were awesome! But going up stunk. I didn't think the hills would be that hard, but they were for me.

Slower on descents to help keep higher average pace going up...but I can't resist a good down...I did hit 40 once! Need speed work. I need to start doing intervals. I'm light; I need to learn to push my ass faster!
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

All was good. Silly me tried to rack my bike with the handle bars in first- doesn't work for me with the STI set-up on my outdated road bike...overall I was happy with this transition. Helmet and glasses off quick, lara bar in hand, water chug, shoes on quick and out the door!

Rack my bike right the first time!
Run
  • 58m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I was pleased with my run time. I was hoping for around 1:05 and did it in 57 something. My right knee felt great! But my left knee started to hurt around 1.5 miles. I had to stop twice to stretch and also tried to hit the grassy edges when I could. Both of those things helped. Not sure why my left was hurting. I was trying to focus on correct form, but must have been too flat footed and not holding my knee straight when running.

Teach myself proper running style. Overall I was pleased. If I can ever get the knee pain to stop, I'll get back down to 7-7:30 miles but less than 10 in pain was good, especially with very little running the past couple months. I think the distance and the pavement really helped to aggravate the knee. Well, with my crappy form and all...
Post race
Warm down:

cold towel, grapes, nectarine, water, 1/2 gatorade (started to irritate my stomach- too much junk in that stuff for me!), 1/2 bagel, lara bar, more water, stretching galore and took advantage of the free chiro adjustment for sciatic pain which hit during the run. Back pain during the bike, both on the left side.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training because of injuries and working on our house.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race. I thought it was very well organized and well staffed. Everything was clearly marked. Volunteers were very friendly. Definitely doing this again!

Last updated: 2010-05-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:20 | 1750 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 294/355
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: uphill :) rectangle, lake open water swim clearly marked by many bouys, boats and kayaks. 294/355
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:18:51 | 24.6 miles | 18.72 mile/hr
Overall: 223/355
Performance: Below average
slow. The hills killed me. I really don't think I passed anyone around my age/gender at all.
Wind:
Course: 2 loops, hilly.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:58 | 06.21 miles | 09m 30s  min/mile
Overall: 0/355
Performance:
9:31 per mile
Course: Smooth pavement. up and down hills, windy (long i) and too narrow at points. Wish it was a trail run...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes