General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Augusta 70.3 Logistics? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-09 8:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
Subject: Augusta 70.3 Logistics?
I got a chance to take a short tour of Augusta today while I was there doing a service call and have a few questions that I hope someone from the area or who did the race last year can answer.
Is parking a hassle there on Saturday and Sunday morning before the race?
How do you go about getting your bike to the transition area? Do you just park near the Marriott and walk/ride your bike or drive over and drop it off (again, what is parking like near transition)?
How much of a hassle is it to get back to get your bike after you finish the race?
Do they start the swim waves by age groups/gender or some other way and is it a jump/dive in or wade start? Thanks for any info.

2010-08-09 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3033304

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Subject: RE: Augusta 70.3 Logistics?
I didn't race but I was there to sherpa for a friend so I'm familiar with some of the logistics...

We parked in a grassy field for the athletes. Get there early, the late arrivals seemed to have more issues with parking. Our only issue was waiting in traffic to park on race morning.

Packet pick-up is a different story... the hotel was a madhouse because everyone had to pick up the packet and attend the pre-race meeting on Saturday. We waited to get in to the ballroom where they did the meeting for about 45 minutes, didn't get in and had to come back for a later time - hope they have a better system this year.

If I remember correctly, bike check in was on Saturday so not much of an issue. Our biggest problem was finding our way around Augusta to get to the right marina.

After the race we were lucky enough to catch a ride back to our vehicle, otherwise it would have been a long walk for my friend. (it's probably a 15+ minute walk and it was HOT)

The start waves were traditional: Pros, men (all ages), women (all ages) and the maybe relay? Not sure about the last one. It's a deep water start because I remember seeing everyone treading water and holding on to the dock at the beginning.

I'm sure someone actually raced will chime in as well.
2010-08-10 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3033304

User image

Extreme Veteran
Newnan, Georgia
Can you get someone else to get your bike in transition?  Unfortunately Georgia Tech Scheduled a football game the day before this race and I got to make some money...

So, I will be coming down Friday for the the mandatory meeting, packet pickup, etc.  Then will drive back Friday night.  Work the game Saturday (which is still TBD on kickoff time...).  Then would have to rush down to drop my bike, and hope to get some decent rest before the race on Sunday?  Any ideas on logistics of that?!
2010-08-10 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3033811

User image

Master
Winder, GA
cadence.king - 2010-08-10 8:20 AM Can you get someone else to get your bike in transition? 

Brent - last year they were checking everybody going in to transition because you had to have a wristband (the one they give you at packet pick-up) and the number had to match the number on your bike. They were very serious about it too, absolutely nobody else was let in to transition.

As far as the rest goes... I got nuthin'.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Augusta 70.3 Logistics? Rss Feed