General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming advice or help needed on video clip of myself swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-05-10 1:36 AM
in reply to: #19000

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: Swimming advice or help needed on video clip of myself swimming
I'm with you Steven. I haven't watched your vidoes, and I'm sure I can't give you any advice, but I just wanted to say you're not alone in taking 20-25 strokes to get across the pool (25 yards).

My BF, who is a much improved swimmer has recommended that I just spend as much time in the pool swimming as possible and to stop thinking so much about the mechanics of my stroke. I sometimes get so caught up in trying to get my hands to enter just the right way, and make sure each stroke is just right, and finish by flicking my thumbs on my thighs, that I forget to breathe out while under water.

He says that when he was training and saw the most improvement in his stroke and speed was when he swam everyday, doing some drill work, but also just doing the laps. I'm going to test his advice this summer by taking a 8 week, 4x a week swim class.

2004-05-10 1:37 AM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Random quote: "The swim will come in time..." - Many people on this list giving advice to newbies
- (Added by: lincsguyus)

Funny... the quote when my post posted...
2004-05-10 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Steven,

I'm not qualified to judge your stroke but can share what I learned.....

I did some research and heard about "front Quadrant Swimming" http://sparkspiranhas.usswim.net/Coaches'%20Corner/Freestyle%20Tech...

I started using it and my first day in the pool my 25m stroke count went from 22 down to 17-18....it's awkward, I have to go slower and really focus but as I've been told that in order to learn and teach your old bod a new trick it's doing it 1000 times 1000 times 1000 times...or something like that. The point being...You have to drill it to death so your body gets used to it cuz when you get tired the first thing I do is go back to my old stroke.

nt
2004-05-11 4:52 AM
in reply to: #23971

Veteran
Singapore
Having one hand always infront before the recovery hand comes in takes a bit getting used to and a bit awkward but I,m starting to get the hang of it.But as you go faster or start to get tired you start to revert back to your old ways...
Today seen this lady swimmer in the pool. she was very relaxed and only took less than 35 strokes to complete the 50m pool length effortlessly.She did the TI catchup drill, almost perfect execution, textbook example. That was just the warm up, when she did her actual 50m freestyle swim across the pool by diving in, she took just over 30 seconds to swim 50m !!!!! :-O
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming advice or help needed on video clip of myself swimming Rss Feed  

of 2