of 3

2011-01-14 5:36 PM
in reply to: #3038924

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Revamping the TN Forum
hi all,
i live downtown memphis and train for my first HIM this year.

2011-01-27 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3113053

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
dbrawders - 2010-09-22 8:12 PM Hello there!
Spring Hill checking in.
My wife and I normally race the Team Magic events with some others thrown in (Monster, ADPI Tri, etc). I'll ride locally for shorter stuff but make it out to the Natchez trace on a weekend day to get some longer miles in when I can. Marathon training right now so limited bike/swim training but will be picking that back up again. I do most of my running locally as well
Looking to do a few more OWS after the first of the year depending on water temp, etc.. Will be training for the 1/2 IM again in Orlando. For now it's the Williamson County Rec Center in Spring Hill.
Will be doing the Music City 1/2 here in a few weeks, hit me up if you're going would love to meet up. AT most events i'll have my Endurance Tri Kit on, hard to miss...
Derek

I also live in Spring Hill and do a lot of Team Magic events (as well as Monster).  Do we know each other?
2011-02-16 8:30 AM

User image

Murfreesboro
Hello from Murfreesboro.  Just joined the BT.com yesterday.  Currently training for the Alpha Delta Pi-athlon at MTSU this April.  New to tri.  Looking forward to a long and healthy life while having fun.
2011-02-16 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, AR
Nashvillian here.  I've been around the fourms a bit, and posted a few times in here. 

Last year was my first season doing Tri's.  Had to take a lot of the fall off due to a knee injury, but am back at it this year. 

I work at Vandy, so I use the pool at the Dyani center for my swims.  My runs following my knee rehab were mostly treadmill, but now i'm getting outside again and I run Belmont Blvd and 16th-17th St, or the Vandy loop (9-10 min/miles).  My biking needs work, i try to get to Natchez and some of the greenways (15-18mph avg).  I'm a bit nervous riding anywhere in town with the cars. 

I'm planning on the:
ADP-iathlon
Purity Dash (5 and 10k)
Music City 1/2 Marathon
Gordon Jewish Sprint
Memphis (Tunica) in May Sprint.....

after that I'm not sure what other races, but I'm sure there will be more. 

give me a shout if you want to run/bike (i included my paces so you won't be shocked when i can't keep up with you )
2011-02-16 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3357545

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
tgober - 2011-02-16 8:30 AM Hello from Murfreesboro.  Just joined the BT.com yesterday.  Currently training for the Alpha Delta Pi-athlon at MTSU this April.  New to tri.  Looking forward to a long and healthy life while having fun.

Welcome to BT and to the TN forum.  Good luck with your training.
2011-02-16 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3357834

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
BoobieDr - 2011-02-16 10:37 AM Nashvillian here.  I've been around the fourms a bit, and posted a few times in here. 

Last year was my first season doing Tri's.  Had to take a lot of the fall off due to a knee injury, but am back at it this year. 

I work at Vandy, so I use the pool at the Dyani center for my swims.  My runs following my knee rehab were mostly treadmill, but now i'm getting outside again and I run Belmont Blvd and 16th-17th St, or the Vandy loop (9-10 min/miles).  My biking needs work, i try to get to Natchez and some of the greenways (15-18mph avg).  I'm a bit nervous riding anywhere in town with the cars. 

I'm planning on the:
ADP-iathlon
Purity Dash (5 and 10k)
Music City 1/2 Marathon
Gordon Jewish Sprint

give me a shout if you want to run/bike (i included my paces so you won't be shocked when i can't keep up with you )

Maybe we'll see you down there.  I will be doing the Olympic the next day, but my wife will be doing her first sprint.  So I'll be there.

2011-02-16 3:01 PM

User image

Memphis
hi all,
I'm in the Memphis area, Shelby Forest. TOTALLY new to this, first tri March 12 in FL - wish me luck! Enjoying this whole thing so far, swim at the Millington YMCA for the most part, bike in Shelby Forest or the greenline, and run wherever I can. Glad to see some other Memphians on here!
2011-02-16 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3357834

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
BoobieDr - 2011-02-16 11:37 AM Nashvillian here. 

I'm planning on the:
ADP-iathlon
Purity Dash (5 and 10k)
Music City 1/2 Marathon
Gordon Jewish Sprint

Brad, if you are interested, our group meets and trains across the street from you.  We do all our swims at Centennial Sportsplex and run from the park.  If you need a training group to jumpstart your training and motivate you throughout the season, let me know.  We will definitely have a strong showing at the GJCC and a few of us will be at Memphis in May. 
2011-02-17 7:38 PM

User image

Murfreesboro
I also plan on doing the Gordon Jewish Sprint.  I'm debating doing the Mach TN in Tullahoma but the level of competition is a little intimidating.  From others that have competed in the past, I was told that the open water swim is difficult especially when other athletes are pulling your feet.  Not having done a tri before, is this common?  Is the pulling under and banging in the water really as bad as they say or are they just pshyc-ing me out?
2011-02-17 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3358586

User image

Murfreesboro
Less than a month away.  Congratulations and Good Luck Mylissa.
2011-02-18 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3360873

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
tgober - 2011-02-17 8:38 PM I also plan on doing the Gordon Jewish Sprint.  I'm debating doing the Mach TN in Tullahoma but the level of competition is a little intimidating.  From others that have competed in the past, I was told that the open water swim is difficult especially when other athletes are pulling your feet.  Not having done a tri before, is this common?  Is the pulling under and banging in the water really as bad as they say or are they just pshyc-ing me out?

Never let competition intimidate you.  What you are referring to is a wave start where a group (likely 30 or so) start at the same time.  As you can imagine, there is a lot of jockeying for position in the water.  Given that your visibility is very limited, you often don't know your position compared to others.  This creates bumping, hitting, knocking, etc.  Pulling of the feet typically refers to the person slapping your feet/ankle during the catch part of their swim.  People often mistake this for someone literally grabbing their ankles and pulling them. 

Some swims are bad, some swims are good.  Here is what I tell our athletes.  Unless you are competing for an age group award, let the swim begin, count to 10 and then enter the water.  Let them fight it out.  You can swim behind the group (drafting the whole time) and then navigate through all the people who fall out of the group (drafting the whole time).  This was a strategy given to me from a multiple Kona qualifier.  He does this at every Ironman and exits the water near the front and feeling great. 

2011-02-18 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3360873

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
tgober - 2011-02-17 7:38 PM I also plan on doing the Gordon Jewish Sprint.  I'm debating doing the Mach TN in Tullahoma but the level of competition is a little intimidating.  From others that have competed in the past, I was told that the open water swim is difficult especially when other athletes are pulling your feet.  Not having done a tri before, is this common?  Is the pulling under and banging in the water really as bad as they say or are they just pshyc-ing me out?

In the 20+ tris I have competed in, I will say that people pulling on your feet is not that common. It seems there is more talk aout than I have actually encountered. Yes, there will be bumping and some touching of the feet due to the wave start, but I have never had anyone "pull" on my feet in the swim.

I agree with ADollar, if this is a concern, get in the back and let the fast group go out ahead of you, or get to the side. once they clear out, you should be fine. Don't let this "pshyc" you out at all.

Have a good race.
2011-02-18 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3361415

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
jford2309 - 2011-02-18 8:55 AM
tgober - 2011-02-17 7:38 PM I also plan on doing the Gordon Jewish Sprint.  I'm debating doing the Mach TN in Tullahoma but the level of competition is a little intimidating.  From others that have competed in the past, I was told that the open water swim is difficult especially when other athletes are pulling your feet.  Not having done a tri before, is this common?  Is the pulling under and banging in the water really as bad as they say or are they just pshyc-ing me out?

In the 20+ tris I have competed in, I will say that people pulling on your feet is not that common. It seems there is more talk aout than I have actually encountered. Yes, there will be bumping and some touching of the feet due to the wave start, but I have never had anyone "pull" on my feet in the swim.

I agree with ADollar, if this is a concern, get in the back and let the fast group go out ahead of you, or get to the side. once they clear out, you should be fine. Don't let this "pshyc" you out at all.

x3 - No big deal. Once you get used to it I find that a wave start race is actually kind of fun every so often. Everyone is just trying to protect their space and no one is trying to intentionally grab you or mess up your race. Have fun with it, when you know what to expect.

Have a good race.
2011-02-18 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3361530

User image

Murfreesboro
Outstanding advice from each of you.  I'm glad I've hooked up to this forum.  I'll be following it daily.  Experience is the best teacher and I can't wait to get me some!  Thanks.
2011-02-18 3:55 PM

East Nasty checking in.

Signed up for IM Louisville and Music City Standard (Olympic) Distance.

Mulling over Chatanooga, Memphis in May and maybe a HIM somewhere (Augusta?)

Running - planning on Purity Dash (10K) and CMHM.

Calf tweak is keeping me off running, so lots of pool and trainer time.

I'll back running next month.

Hope to meet some or all of y'all at some point.

Andy
Handsome English dude with no hair
2011-03-23 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3231520

New user

Knoxville - Farragut

tenninstr - 2010-12-01 12:38 AM Hi, I'm new to triathlon out of Knoxville. I haven't done much endurance training since the Marine Corps, mostly weight training. However, I do bike regularly, both mountain and road. At 41 I want to focus more on ftiness and endurance and I have always been interested in triathlons. I work nights and am training during the day. I live in Farraugt and usually run and bike out of Anchor Park. I'm struggling with shin splints (I always have) right now and working on improving my technique, getting the right shoe, and dropping weight.

I have also signed up with "Team in Training" to do the Rev3 olypmic next year and raise money for the Lukemia and Lymphoma Society so I'll be training with them. I think I am more interested in doing sprints but if it doesn't kill me I may do an Olympic now and then. Hope to get to meet some of you.

Glad to meet you all!  I am new to BT.com and semi-new to triathlon training.  I have been an avid runner and swimmer in the past and just purchased my first road bike after years of couch potato-ing.  I live in Knoxville, Farragut area too.  I plan on doing a sprint in September so I am on here to research some training plans.  Good luck to you all

2011-03-24 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3411555

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bartlett, TN
Welcome to BT Luca.
2011-03-25 4:17 PM

User image

Murfreesboro
moersdorf - 2011-03-23 8:51 PM

tenninstr - 2010-12-01 12:38 AM Hi, I'm new to triathlon out of Knoxville. I haven't done much endurance training since the Marine Corps, mostly weight training. However, I do bike regularly, both mountain and road. At 41 I want to focus more on ftiness and endurance and I have always been interested in triathlons. I work nights and am training during the day. I live in Farraugt and usually run and bike out of Anchor Park. I'm struggling with shin splints (I always have) right now and working on improving my technique, getting the right shoe, and dropping weight.

I have also signed up with "Team in Training" to do the Rev3 olypmic next year and raise money for the Lukemia and Lymphoma Society so I'll be training with them. I think I am more interested in doing sprints but if it doesn't kill me I may do an Olympic now and then. Hope to get to meet some of you.

Glad to meet you all!  I am new to BT.com and semi-new to triathlon training.  I have been an avid runner and swimmer in the past and just purchased my first road bike after years of couch potato-ing.  I live in Knoxville, Farragut area too.  I plan on doing a sprint in September so I am on here to research some training plans.  Good luck to you all

Welcome to BT.com from the 'boro!

2011-04-25 8:39 PM

New user

Knoxville
Downtown Knoxville checking in! I would love to connect with local triathletes, either on here or on that "social networking site". I am getting back into tris after laying off for a year or two. I still consider myself a beginner, with 5 sprint tris and 2 duathlons under my belt. I am a pretty good runner, so-so cyclist, very slow swimmer. I am trying to figure out ways to take my two weaker sports to the next level! Looking forward to a very active season this year, next "for sure" event is the Memorial Day tri in Maryville.
2011-04-26 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3465742

User image

Murfreesboro

joebedford - 2011-04-25 8:39 PM Downtown Knoxville checking in! I would love to connect with local triathletes, either on here or on that "social networking site". I am getting back into tris after laying off for a year or two. I still consider myself a beginner, with 5 sprint tris and 2 duathlons under my belt. I am a pretty good runner, so-so cyclist, very slow swimmer. I am trying to figure out ways to take my two weaker sports to the next level! Looking forward to a very active season this year, next "for sure" event is the Memorial Day tri in Maryville.

Welcome to BT.com.  You're not exactly local to me (Murfreesboro).  You are a veteran compared to me.  Just finished my first tri and got my second one in 5 weeks.  Congratulations on getting back into the multi-sport world.  Best of luck at Maryville!  Let us know how you did.

2011-04-26 9:26 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Glad to see some more guys from Knoxville showing up. Welcome!

2011-08-24 4:23 PM

User image

Regular
Clinton, TN
Hello peeps!

Transferring here from GA by way of SC. Was active in the past, but have not been that dedicated lately. I have started back running and cycling. Swimming is of course least favorite and have not swam in awhile.

Anyway, just wanted to shout out and say to everyone " Keep me motivated" ! Looking forward to hopefully meeting you guys at some races.
2011-08-24 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3657666

User image

Murfreesboro

Speedy the Turtle - 2011-08-24 4:23 PM Hello peeps! Transferring here from GA by way of SC. Was active in the past, but have not been that dedicated lately. I have started back running and cycling. Swimming is of course least favorite and have not swam in awhile. Anyway, just wanted to shout out and say to everyone " Keep me motivated" ! Looking forward to hopefully meeting you guys at some races.

Hi Speedy.  Welcome to TN.  Many tri's in the area coming up in the next few weeks.  Join in and maybe we'll connect at one soon.

2011-09-13 10:19 AM

User image

Regular
Clinton, TN
moersdorf - 2011-03-23 9:51 PM

Where you been riding? There is a group that meets at West Cycles in Farragut and met another group that rides out of Maryville. Good groups to ride with.
2012-01-01 7:01 PM

Knoxville/Farragut here.  I just joined BT today and I am totally new to the triathlon scene.  I am targeting the Panther Creek Xterra event, but have a long way to go.  I just started riding mountain bike and my swim skills are less than stellar.  Can any Knoxville folks recommend a swim coach?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Revamping the TN Forum Rss Feed  

of 3