General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vibram Finger Shoes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-14 2:21 AM

Regular
Subject: Vibram Finger Shoes?
Anybody using them and if so in what capacity?  My mom just bought a pair, she was a marathon runner and had to quit 8 years ago because of injury and pain.  She bought a pair and has had no pain since she bought them.  She wears them shopping, to the pool, everywhere she goes.  Has anyone else had this experience?  I am thinking of getting a pair to wear to work, around town, and to the gym. 

2010-08-14 4:38 AM
in reply to: #3043415

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pelzer, SC
Subject: RE: Vibram Finger Shoes?
I have a pair of the sprints. Love to wear them around for everyday shoes. They are a great conversation starter. I also use them for short 2-3mi runs. I wouldn't call them comfortable to run in, but they don't hurt either. I'm thinking if getting another pair. One to run in and one to wear all over the place.
2010-08-14 5:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Delaware, OH
I have been running in mine almost exclusively for about 3 months now.  I am not a fast runner and 5 miles is a long distance for me at this point.  I really LOVE my VFF"s.  I am a person who prefers the natural way and I think it gives more more connection to the road, and yes, I do run on pavement.  I would highly recommend trying them out for anyone interested but understand that they do not fit everyone's foot, they just happen to fit mine.  I need to buy another pair to wear "around town" because I save my Bakila's for running.
2010-08-14 11:01 AM

User image

New user

I also have a pair of VFF's. They are a great training tool, but I wouldn't suggest ditching the traditional running shoe completely. You really need to ease into it if you plan on doing anything longer than a half mile in them. But I've seen people run marathons in them too! Slow and steady when learning to run in them!

For the gym and around town they are great. But only if you like the attention. I wore mine to The Olive Garden once. That was a huge mistake.
2010-08-14 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
London
I've got a pair of the sprints and love them.

I don't use them for training but just about everything else! I've used them on the beach, travelling (great of on flights BTW), at work, general kicking about in etc etc just about everywhere really including a few little runs here and there.
2010-08-14 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Got a pair, based on recs from others, and it was a disaster.  I used them hiking around the trails and at home first...they were great for that.  Then I went running, only 1 mile day one.  Day 2 I went for another mile and suffered a stress fracture.  Although they seem somewhat "cool" right now, if you are not suffering any pain...why switch?  They can be hazordous depending on your footstrike.  I for one was up to 40-50 miles a week at the time, so I was plenty in shape. 

Just a caution.  If it ain't broke...why brake it?

2010-08-14 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3043621

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
tacomamike - 2010-08-14 10:01 AM  IF YOU ARE A HEEL STRIKER, You really need to ease into it if you plan on doing anything longer than a half mile in them.

Fixed that for you. I ran 4 miles in my VFFs first time out with no problems. I've gone up to about 9 miles, but I normally just use them for speedwork.

If a person is a heel striker and has no plans to change from that form then VFFs are not something to use.
2010-08-14 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3043621

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
tacomamike - 2010-08-14 10:01 AM  IF YOU ARE A HEEL STRIKER, You really need to ease into it if you plan on doing anything longer than a half mile in them.

Fixed that for you. I ran 4 miles in my VFFs first time out with no problems. I've gone up to about 9 miles, but I normally just use them for speedwork.

If a person is a heel striker and has no plans to change from that form then VFFs are not something to use.
2010-08-14 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3043728

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Donskiman - 2010-08-14 2:05 PM

I agree w/ Don.  Ya r eally need to have a low impact running style to use low impact footwear.  I've been adjusting to the Chi running style for a few months now and I no longer have knee pain.  I went to the NB 100s (a little more stucture than the vibrams) and really love them.  It helps me keep my form to be able to feel the road and I'll never go back to the bricks I used to wear.  I feel I need to improve my low impact style before I graduate to the vibrams but am sure I'll love them as well.  I recently read that the advent of the running shoe has not statistically reduced running injuries.  They allow you to run wrong.  My point is:  If you run w/ your feet in front of you/strike your heel etc.  don't use the low impact foot gear.
2010-08-14 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3043748

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
La Tortuga - 2010-08-14 11:33 AM
Donskiman - 2010-08-14 2:05 PM

I agree w/ Don.  Ya r eally need to have a low impact running style to use low impact footwear.  I've been adjusting to the Chi running style for a few months now and I no longer have knee pain.  I went to the NB 100s (a little more stucture than the vibrams) and really love them.  It helps me keep my form to be able to feel the road and I'll never go back to the bricks I used to wear.  I feel I need to improve my low impact style before I graduate to the vibrams but am sure I'll love them as well.  I recently read that the advent of the running shoe has not statistically reduced running injuries.  They allow you to run wrong.  My point is:  If you run w/ your feet in front of you/strike your heel etc.  don't use the low impact foot gear.

Where'd I put that popcorn...?
2010-08-14 7:24 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-08-15 12:48 AM

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Had mine for a little over a year now.  Wear them for everything from running to casual around town.  Might I suggest the KSO Trek for the casual one?  They are leather and the brown ones go better with regular clothes in my opinion.  You'll still get questions but they don't look like you're walking around in water-shoes.  I use KSO's as my running/workout pairs. 
x2 on the ease into the mileage for running though.  Stress fracture in the foot is very possible if you just jump in too fast.
2010-08-15 12:55 AM
in reply to: #3044232

Master
mikerunkle - 2010-08-14 10:48 PM Had mine for a little over a year now.  Wear them for everything from running to casual around town.  Might I suggest the KSO Trek for the casual one?  They are leather and the brown ones go better with regular clothes in my opinion.  You'll still get questions but they don't look like you're walking around in water-shoes.  I use KSO's as my running/workout pairs. 
x2 on the ease into the mileage for running though.  Stress fracture in the foot is very possible if you just jump in too fast.

As I said, I was doing 40+ mpw for well over a year. First day with VFF...1 mile, no issues.  2nd day, didn't even make it a full mile before having pain.  Result=9 weeks with no running.  I would consider myself a midfoot striker.  So just saying it happens.  I only post this when people rave about the shoes becasue it was an equipment issue that injured me.  SO although many are enthusiastic, I am guessing those with bad experiences just aren't posting.  I saw almost nothing pointing to risks when reading about these shoes...perhaps I was just that unlucky ,1%.
2010-08-15 7:00 AM
in reply to: #3044235

Expert
Wendell, NC
sax - 2010-08-15 1:55 AM
mikerunkle - 2010-08-14 10:48 PM Had mine for a little over a year now.  Wear them for everything from running to casual around town.  Might I suggest the KSO Trek for the casual one?  They are leather and the brown ones go better with regular clothes in my opinion.  You'll still get questions but they don't look like you're walking around in water-shoes.  I use KSO's as my running/workout pairs. 

As I said, I was doing 40+ mpw for well over a year. First day with VFF...1 mile, no issues.  2nd day, didn't even make it a full mile before having pain.  Result=9 weeks with no running.  I would consider myself a midfoot striker.  So just saying it happens.  I only post this when people rave about the shoes becasue it was an equipment issue that injured me.  SO although many are enthusiastic, I am guessing those with bad experiences just aren't posting.  I saw almost nothing pointing to risks when reading about these shoes...perhaps I was just that unlucky ,1%.

--it happens
2010-08-15 9:54 AM

I have a pair of the new Bikalas.  I haven't tried running in them, because I have so many races left this season and I don't want to risk injury, but I wear them post run and around town running errands and love them.  I have pretty high arches though so I can't wear them all day because my arches hurt, but other than that, they've been great.
2010-08-15 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3044398

Pro
Houston
kwint420 - 2010-08-15 9:54 AM I have a pair of the new Bikalas.  I haven't tried running in them, because I have so many races left this season and I don't want to risk injury, but I wear them post run and around town running errands and love them.  I have pretty high arches though so I can't wear them all day because my arches hurt, but other than that, they've been great.

This is me.
I actually ran in them once to go get the mail about .15 and felt shin pain.
I think every body is different and what works for one person will not work for another.  We can accept that people like different saddles but when shoes come up people get very upset and take it personally, I'm not sure why. 
Some of us like our heavy asic 'bricks' with lots of cushion and some folks like minimalist shoes.  Different strokes for different strokes and it's all good.
Just go run - Vibrams, high tops, running shoes, barefoot etc.  if it works for you do it if it doesn't try something else.

2010-08-15 10:19 AM

New user

Richmond
I think the advice "If it aint broke don't fix it" might apply. I have a pair of Vibrams and I love them for walking, strength sessions and any water time, beach river etc.

If you are a mid foot runner, and have had problems with your feet, you might consider them for running, but start very slowly and only after wearing them around town first.
2010-08-15 1:12 PM

I have some, use them for runs when the ground is too hot for barefoot. I don't really like them much because they are rather difficult for me to get on. I definitely will not wear in a multisport race, I'll either be barefoot or wear some other minimalist shoes that are easy on.
2010-08-15 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3043709

Expert
Wilmington, NC
sax - 2010-08-14 1:46 PM Got a pair, based on recs from others, and it was a disaster.  I used them hiking around the trails and at home first...they were great for that.  Then I went running, only 1 mile day one.  Day 2 I went for another mile and suffered a stress fracture.  Although they seem somewhat "cool" right now, if you are not suffering any pain...why switch?  They can be hazordous depending on your footstrike.  I for one was up to 40-50 miles a week at the time, so I was plenty in shape. 

Just a caution.  If it ain't broke...why brake it?

Stress fractures are generally overuse injuries and do not happen from two 1 mile runs, but rather an accumulation of stess over time. I am guessing you had stressed your legs enough from your normal training and it so happens that they had enough after day 2 in the VFF. I am guessing you can blame your regular shoes just as much as your VFF for your stress fracture.
2010-08-15 2:44 PM

Expert
Chicago
I have the KSO's.  Like them a lot.  I was a heel striker and wanter to switch over to a lower impact style as I was having recurring pains in various places in my feet and lower legs.  I had to ease into them slowly to transition (see my logs from January through March for detail, but started at 1/8 mile jog, 1/8 walk for two miles and then gradually extended jog intervals until I could run a few miles straight - then continued to slowly extend the runs).  I stopped running in them during the racing season, but was up to 5 miles (comfortable and pain-free).  I've just started in them again, and have been able to skip the jog/walk workouts.  I kept running with a forefoot strike in running shoes through the summer, which made it a lot easier to start running in the VFF's again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vibram Finger Shoes? Rss Feed