General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena tri clothing and modesty Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-16 2:27 PM

User image

Subject: Athena tri clothing and modesty
Hi all!

I'm competing in my first triathlon in about a month.  I actually found this forum while trying to find information about longer length women's tri shorts (I'm both overweight and really tall).  Thanks to the helpful advice here, I was able to find both tri shorts and a tri top that fit comfortably and are long enough for me. 

I've tried out the outfit several times during workouts, and while it's very comfortable to move in, I've noticed I'm self-conscious about other people seeing me in snug-fitting clothing.  Does anyone else have this issue, and how do you address it?  I know that most people will probably be more focused on their own performance and not really looking at me, but it's more an issue of making myself feel comfortable. 

I was thinking of putting on a wicking tank top and a pair of shorts over my tri outfit for the bike and run, but I know it will make my transition time that much longer.  Any ideas? 

2010-08-16 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3046524

New user

Subject: RE: Athena tri clothing and modesty
I use to worry about this too, but when I started kicking skinny booties didn't care at all! I am still an athena (5'7, 160) but race age group now! Wear a sports bra under your tri top or I wear a uni Louis Garneau very comfortable!
2010-08-16 2:44 PM

User image

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.

Sloopy - 2010-08-16 12:27 PM

...I'm self-conscious about other people seeing me in snug-fitting clothing.  Does anyone else have this issue, and how do you address it?

Honestly, you get over it by competing in triathlons with your race outfit. You'll be less self-conscious there because everybody else is wearing skin-tight outfits and they're all so busy racing that they won't notice you. Really. Then, once you're done with the race, if you're not too tired and still care, you can go back into transition and put on some shorts and a shirt from your bag.

As a clydesdale, I know how you feel. However, I've found that racing triathlons is a great cure for self-consciousness. Before my first race last year I wanted to try out my trisuit so I wore a shirt over it when I went for my run. Nowadays, on my bike-run brick days, I just hop off the bike and run around my neighborhood in the trisuit--no shirt needed. I don't know how the neighborhood feels about it :-) but I'm okay with it. Hey, at least I'm not doing my runs shirtless! :-)

2010-08-17 10:13 AM

User image

Regular
I felt the same way, and in my first race I took the time to but on a cycling jersey in t1.  I won't be making that choice again.  Race belt and go.  On the run I do figit with the belt to cover the belly with my number though!  I definitely wouldn't take the time to put on another pair of shorts, too much bulk and risk of chaffing.  But the tank is up to you.  Practice putting it on while you are wet and decide if you still want to mess with it!
2010-08-17 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3046584

User image

Regular
hondo77 - 2010-08-16 2:44 PM

Honestly, you get over it by competing in triathlons with your race outfit. You'll be less self-conscious there because everybody else is wearing skin-tight outfits and they're all so busy racing that they won't notice you. Really. Then, once you're done with the race, if you're not too tired and still care, you can go back into transition and put on some shorts and a shirt from your bag.

x2 on that.  I was very worried before I ran my first race as an Athena.  I mean, c'mon, spandex??  But I was soooooo relieved when I got there and sooooo happy to see the great variety of sizes and shapes of people racing, and most of them in spandex too.  You will not be the only one, I promise.  Just enjoy the moment!  This is what you have been working for!
2010-08-17 4:15 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Agree with the above Plus...

Another side thought... if you commit, commit.

Here is what I mean... I have seen people wear spandex, but then  - out of modesty or self-image - get some that is not tight.

This backfires.
Yes, too tight might create the stuffed sausage look, be uncomfortable, or binding.

However, too many people go in the opposite direction.

Too loose clings in every nook and cranny, creating a much worse visual effect ---- not including comfort and chafing issues.

Properly fitting spandex smooths things out.
It is also more comfortable and functional.

2010-08-18 5:22 AM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Previous noters are right.  The more you wear it, the easier it is.  I do use, instead of a running belt, Skirt Sports race number skirt.  I'm completely okay with my top-half; it's the bottom half I need to save everyone from!  The race number skirt has snaps on it that hold your race number and it's just a skirt, with no shorties underneath. 

2010-08-18 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3049591

User image

Thanks everyone!  I'm probably worrying for nothing, but that's just how I am.  

Ooh, a skirt number belt sounds like something to look into.  That would cover the areas I'm most self-conscious about, too.  How is the length on them usually?
2010-08-18 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3049591

User image

Veteran
I hope I say this the right way without sticking my foot in my mouth. My wife is a bit overweight and had the same thoughts going into her first races. I'm not overweight (and I'm not super tall for all that matters), but I can honestly say I think think there's a great deal of respect from most onlookers because those who may be a little heavier are out there giving it a go, and perhaps trying to change their physical shape, lifestyle, etc. In short, I might frown upon the situation if I saw you camped out in the McDonald's parking lot every other day, however, you get nothing but respect and admiration from me when I see you setting up transition next to me on race day!
2010-08-18 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3049957

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Sloopy - 2010-08-18 9:07 AM Thanks everyone!  I'm probably worrying for nothing, but that's just how I am.  

Ooh, a skirt number belt sounds like something to look into.  That would cover the areas I'm most self-conscious about, too.  How is the length on them usually?

I think they are 13" in the front and an inch longer in the back -- it's called the race belt skirt

jhornebx - 2010-08-18 9:21 AM I hope I say this the right way without sticking my foot in my mouth... but I can honestly say I think think there's a great deal of respect from most onlookers because those who may be a little heavier are out there giving it a go, and perhaps trying to change their physical shape, lifestyle, etc. In short, I might frown upon the situation if I saw you camped out in the McDonald's... however, you get nothing but respect and admiration from me when I see you setting up transition next to me on race day!

Can you come to Redman 70.3 on 9/25 and be a cheerleader??? 

Edited by DonnaInHouston 2010-08-18 10:09 AM
2010-08-22 10:45 AM

New user

I'm glad I came across this board.  I'm 6'2 and 219, I've just lost a 150+ lbs so there is a bunch of jiggle in my wiggle. lol  Glad to get these tips!

D

2010-08-22 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3050082

User image

Lafayette, CO
DonnaInHouston - 2010-08-18 9:08 AM
Sloopy - 2010-08-18 9:07 AM Thanks everyone!  I'm probably worrying for nothing, but that's just how I am.  

I think they are 13" in the front and an inch longer in the back -- it's called the race belt skirt

jhornebx - 2010-08-18 9:21 AM I hope I say this the right way without sticking my foot in my mouth... but I can honestly say I think think there's a great deal of respect from most onlookers because those who may be a little heavier are out there giving it a go, and perhaps trying to change their physical shape, lifestyle, etc. In short, I might frown upon the situation if I saw you camped out in the McDonald's... however, you get nothing but respect and admiration from me when I see you setting up transition next to me on race day!

Can you come to Redman 70.3 on 9/25 and be a cheerleader??? 

I was just going to post about the race belt skirt.  Even Nicole DeBoom (2004 IM Wisconsin Champion) who founded Skirtsports won her first tri in 5 years today wearing a race belt skirt.  She is the creator of the running skirt and when I first started this journey running skirts actually really gave me confidence as I could get the benefits of spandex shorts (reduced creeping!) but the discretion that the skirt covering offers.  The race belt skirt is just the skirt that you can slip over the shorts in either T1 or T2. 

Oh, and I agree, jhornebx, can you chat with other bystanders so they see that angle?!?!?!
2010-08-23 8:40 AM

Regular
Saint Petersburg, FL
I have to say after competing in my first tri this weekend that everyone was supportive regardless of age, competitor class, gender and most importantly body shape.  I competed in the clyde division and we were the very last to enter the water (probably rightfully so) and for the most part were some of the last finishers.  What I was most impressed with was that there were folks from the women's and men's pro divisions (as well as other early finishers) who had finished and were standing along the last quarter mile of the run cheering the remaining finishers on until everyone had finished.  It was a great demonstration of sportsmanship.  I really was impressed with how truly supportive, friendly and encouraging everyone was!  It really makes me look forward to my next race.  I can tell you for certain I do not look like a poster child for triathletes ... far from it.  But once the horn blew ... I didn't care what was wiggling one way and what was wiggling the other.  If you finish ... you are a triathlete!  Good luck.

Bruce 
2010-08-24 7:31 PM

I just finished my first Tri, and I have to say, it's most important to wear what you perform the best in.  If you perform the best in what holds you in the most, then who cares?  If you wear sloppy stuff that doesn't hold you in in all the best places, you will be more uncomfortable and have a bad experience.  Wear the clothes that support your shape in all the right places!  When it comes to clothes on race day, more isn't always better!  There are lots of people out there doing it in all shapes and sizes!  As the boys would say, "Use the right tools for the job!"  Good luck!
2010-08-24 7:54 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Throwing on a shirt over racing outfit doesn't take that long in transition... I did it that way for my first few tris. Just make sure it's not too tight of a shirt (slightly loose = easier to get over wet body) also... running capris are great if you have leg issues. Cuts down on jiggle.

The race belt skirts are on the shorter side but skirtsports makes several lengths of skirts. I think the happyhour one is the longest? The nice thing about the ones with the built in shorts is you don't have to worry about it sliding upwards which is what happens with my racebelt skirt.

I just did a test run last week in the Gym Girl Ultra skirt and I liked it a lot. the little built in shorts didn't ride up at all on a 2.5 hour run.

It's true most people aren't paying attention to what you look like, but I totally understand where you're coming from as a fellow Athena. I worry about it less these days but it's also a concern over here.
2010-08-24 10:05 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
The problem with the skirts with built in shorties (which I happen to be sitting in post run as I type) is that it wouldn't be conducive to swimming in.  With the race belt skirt you can pull it over your favorite tri shorts.  But I do love my Gym Girl Ultra. 

2010-08-24 10:17 PM

User image

Regular
I have to comment here.  At the tri this weekend, there was a girl there who I felt so bad for.  I saw her on the run and she was heading back when I was heading out and she had pulled on a regular t-shirt and adidas pants.  She looked so hot and sweaty.  She wasn't that much bigger than me and while the tri tanks don't look the greatest on me, I rock them anyway! 

I wonder how well she would have done if she would have worn shorts instead!
2010-08-24 11:27 PM
in reply to: #3062336

User image

Master
Chicago
COSkiGirl - 2010-08-24 10:05 PM

The problem with the skirts with built in shorties (which I happen to be sitting in post run as I type) is that it wouldn't be conducive to swimming in.  With the race belt skirt you can pull it over your favorite tri shorts.  But I do love my Gym Girl Ultra. 

True true... but you can slip them over tri-shorts or capris... you'd think the double layer would be annoying but it wasn't really.
2010-08-27 2:46 PM

I feel the same way about being self concious. Terry makes a GREAT plus size cycling skirt that doesn't have an attached liner. I prefer this design, so I can mix and match my liner (cycling tights or unpadded running tights) to fit my particular need.

Good luck!

2010-08-27 11:50 PM
in reply to: #3062184

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
IdealMuse - 2010-08-24 8:54 PM Throwing on a shirt over racing outfit doesn't take that long in transition... I did it that way for my first few tris. Just make sure it's not too tight of a shirt (slightly loose = easier to get over wet body) also...

THis is what I did for my first race.  I am OK with my legs, but I don't like the clingy shirts so much.  So I swam in tri shorts (skirtsports brand, by the way), and a quick dry top, but put a looser (2x) shirt over them at T1.  I had my race number already pinned on it and ready to go.  A pic:

2010-08-28 11:28 AM

I need to know more about swimming in a quick dry top.

Was this a non-triathlon specific top?

I've got tri shorts for the swim, and was planning on wearing a bathing suit underneath, and doing the bike and run with the suit on. But today I did a run with the suit on, and I got WAY TOO HOT. So, I need a plan B quick; race is next week!

2010-08-28 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3068973

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
femanual - 2010-08-28 12:28 PM
I need to know more about swimming in a quick dry top.

Was this a non-triathlon specific top?

That's right.  I ended up just swimming in a dri-fit bra and dri-fit running tank that I found at the Reebok outlet.  Here's a pic:
out of the water

It didn't dry as quick as a swimsuit would have, but it was pretty much dry by the end of the bike (other than the sweat factor) despite being under the t shirt.  I was comfortable and happy with my choices.

Edited by dinabean 2010-08-28 11:42 AM
2010-08-28 12:51 PM

well Heck yeah! That's my plan.
thanks for the feedback. i'm all over that!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena tri clothing and modesty Rss Feed