General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aggressive Couch-to-5k Training Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2011-10-17 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3052868

User image

Spokane
Subject: RE: Aggressive Couch-to-5k Training Group
Great to see you back, Comet! Keep us posted, and maybe we can help you get there!!

2011-11-03 11:46 AM

New user

Londonderry

I've been feeling pretty miserable and unhappy lately and read something last night that made me realize I'm miserable because I have no goals. I am not challenging myself and am just going through the daily routine of each day. I woke up this morning with some motivation to think about "what is it that I want to do, to motivate and make me happy?"  I created a list and one of the items on my list was to compete in a Triathlon someday.  I always talked about "someday."  Now this is a very lofty goal for me since I don't know how to swim.  So I'm taking it step by step and will work very hard to reach that goal.  I had an epiphany driving into work this a.m.  I got behind a car with the license plate TRSTGD.  Then I read an article on foxnews that said "You're never to old to run a marathon!"  All signs confirming that I'm on the right path!   Then I discovered this amazing website!  I'm getting very excited about my new goal!  My first baby step is the "Aggressive Couch-to-5K Training Group"  I'm going print out the training plan and start tonight.  I'm looking forward to connecting with people who share the same goals and others who can help guide me on my journey!

2011-11-03 11:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa

Hi Michele and welcome!

I'm real new too and you have found a great site with tons of resources and lots of people willing to share their experiences and advice.  I've been working through the 5K program as well and now run a 5K training run each Friday.  I could barely swim 2 months ago but have just fnished a series of swim lessons and have reached a point where I can now go work on endurance and distance.  I have been cycling all summer but only started tri training about 6 weeks ago or so...

You should go say hi in the 'Introduce Yourself' forum...there are loads of people ready to say hello and help you reach your goals.

Good luck!

James

2011-11-04 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3821960

New user

Londonderry

Hi James!

Thank you! Yes, I'm finding this site has a LOT of information to digest - and I'm getting really excited about pursuing my new goal.  Reading everyone's stories has made me realize that I CAN do this. Good for you with the swim lessons.  I can barely swim but am checking out my local Y's schedule for adult swim lessons. I'm starting my "couch to 5K" training program today and I know that if I keep working at this and with the support of people on this site I will reach my goal.  This is something I've always thought about doing but never vocalized. Last night I told my oldest son and he was so supportive and excited - that just adds to my determination.

You sound like you're working really hard towards your goal, good for you!

I'll introduce myself on the forum - thanks!

Michele

2011-11-04 10:40 AM

User image

Spokane

Hi Michele! Welcome to our little group!! The couch-to-5k program REALLY works! When I started it, I couldn't run for more than 100 feet or so before I was winded and my knees hurt. About 14 weeks of training later (I skimmed a day off of each week and ran every other day, rather than having a two-day break each week), 5k is no big deal to me! I've had to move into running at the gym, but I was lucky and my gym has an indoor track. I'm about to start swim and bike training through the winter, and I can't wait to get started! You absolutely CAN do this, Michele, so just be strong and stick with it...it will amaze you how quickly your work pays off!!

Good luck, and keep us posted!!

2011-11-05 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa
Broke the 30 minute milestone on my 5K yesterday - finished loop in 29:55..!!  Still have not quite finished the full program but I run a 5K loop as sort of a "featured" run each week so I can try to measure overall progress.

Edited by bluetractor 2011-11-05 1:36 PM

2011-11-09 10:18 AM

User image

Spokane

Way to go! It's a great feeling to break 30 minutes!!

2011-11-11 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

It's great to see you all making the commitment to the program! My wife and I did this program early this year and it was perfect for us. If you stick to it it will work for you also. Be patient and before you know it you'll accomplish things you never did before.

Here's a quick update on us: Since finishing the program back in May we have each run in multiple 2 mile races, run one cross country 2.5 mile race, finished our first 5k race, done our first Super Sprint Tri (400yard/8mi/2mi), and last weekend we each ran 6 miles continuous on our long training runs. In a couple weeks we'll be running in a 6 mile Turkey Trot run on Thanksgiving morning.

2011-11-14 1:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa

Hey Johnny...that's some great progress and very encouraging for those of us running with this program.  Congrats on your accomplishments this year - that is awesome on completing the tri's - here's to many more for you next year.

I'm just beginning the first week of the final month/phase.  Had to lay off for a couple days after picking up a minor calf strain last week but ready to resume today.

Cheers!

James

2011-11-15 10:04 PM

New user

Londonderry
Week 2 and I'm still motivated! ; )  I've modified the C25K aggressive program a bit. I start off with a 5 minutes walk, then run for 2, walk for 3 and alternate that for 30 minutes and then do a 5 minute walk/cool down.  The first two legs of the running are a still a bit tough but once I get going I'm enjoying the running. Since I want to make sure I stick with this I'll do this for the next week and then increase the running time little by little over the next 14 weeks.  The toughest thing for me is finding the right time to get the gym time in but I'm determined to stick with this.  I put my goal out there on FB for all my friends and family to see and they want me to keep them updated with my progress - extra motivation! 
2011-11-16 11:00 AM

User image

Spokane
It's awesome to see you all succeeding! This is such a great program, and really, just about anyone can do it! Michele, I did the Facebook route too...and it really worked for me. If I didn't post for a few days, I'd start seeing comments on my wall along the lines of "Hey, how's the running going?" or "Why haven't you posted about your runs?!" So if you're consistent in posting about your runs, people will notice if you don't! Keep up the great work, everyone!!

2011-11-25 4:33 AM

User image

New user

Hi all,

I'm jumping in here late and decided that this is the program i want to start with.  I've overweight, but i'm used to chasing a 4 year old all day.  Plus I work in rehab, so I am on my feet all day, showing clients how to do stretches and exercises.  (Though I have decided to not show off by doing 5kg bicep curls for a while.  haha!)

~Bronny.

2012-02-20 8:25 AM

User image

New user

Hi all,

I just signed up on this site and am planning to run my first 5K in 23 years this June...yikes it's been that long! I returned to the gym 18 months ago and decided I needed some goals to focus on and the first one is finishing a race.  Really hoping to pull this off and that this site will be part of the success!

Cara

2012-03-16 5:42 AM

User image

New user

I cannot figure out how to "join" this group ... can anyone help?
2012-03-17 9:41 AM

Hi All

I am almost through week 1 and with the beautiful spring weather am ready to get out on the trails. This is my first time through the program and I am aiming to do my first 5k in September. I am following this program because I would like to get back into shape after entering my 4th decade and set a good example for those around me.
2012-04-12 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4098740

User image

Regular
Taos, New Mexico

amanlaw, I think you're in it Tongue out

I'm not sure, maybe there is actually group "membership", but I'm guessing they just meant to join the discussion. You just did! Weclome!

Edited by skijour 2012-04-12 9:21 AM

2012-04-12 9:28 AM

User image

Regular
Taos, New Mexico

Hi, all. It's been almost four years since my last tri and training to speak of. Yikes! I've gained some weight, though not horrible, considering that I now work from home. Yup, that means the couch, 8-12 hrs per day. Ugh!! I love working from home... I just need to mitigate the inertia effects!

The good news is that I think I've thoroughly recovered from my injuries from my HIM in 2008... Bad news is I've developed other health problems since then, mostly digestive goofy stuff. Hoping training will help!

Starting with month 2 since I've been walking/hiking some and running teeny (really teeny) bits here and there.

Congratulations to all who are giving this a shot for the first time. You can do it!!

2012-05-20 10:58 AM

Hello Everyone

I wanted to introduce myself. I am new to the sport and looking forward to my training

AhesCool

2012-07-28 8:22 PM

New user

Hi All, I’m Rob.  A good friend of mine is doing a Tri tomorrow with her sisters.  She really inspired me.  I’m 42 and have never exercised.  I’m definitely starting from the couch with a foot rest. :-)  I’m not overweight but out of shape and a diabetic since my teens.  My goal is to do a Tri next summer.  The idea of me plunging (no pun intended) into swimming, biking, and running is a bit scary.  The big question is can I do it???  I’ve never liked working out so this will really stretch me and my commitment.  I start my program on 7/29. . . So here’s to better health and sticking to it.  Looking forward to this journey with all of you.  Thanks Everyone!!!
2012-07-31 11:33 PM

User image

New user

Litchfield
Hi all!!  I am excited about this!  Glad to join this group Cool
2012-08-03 11:53 PM

I am a 24 year old female brand new to triathalons. I grew up swimming but biking and running (not in the gym) are somewhat new. Looking to try a sprint triathalon and just trying to fiure thigs out- advice is welcome!

2012-08-05 7:45 PM

New user

South Plainfield
Hi. I have a goal of doing a triathlon next year. I am 57 years old and can't run longer than 90 seconds straight. so I guess this couch to 5k is a good start. I am taking swim classes at my gym. and will need to buy a bike.
2012-08-16 5:01 PM

Hello Everyone,
I just started this program on Monday. I am a stay at home father to three great kids. I enjoy the outdoors, sports, and gadgets. I was never very athletic but was never really unfit either. That is until the last few years. I turn 30 in December and am doing my best to get into the best shape of my life by then. On top of this program I am biking 10km on program days and 5km on rest days. Doing all of this indoors as I have to watch my children. Hoping to do a 5km run in the new year and hopefully get into a triathlon late in 2013. I am also hoping this will help me shed more than a few unwanted pounds. Well here is to the next 16 weeks!

Mike

2012-09-17 7:41 AM

New user

I everyone. Joining your group to get back in shape. I am a out of shape and overweight f47yo female. Went for a 2 mile run walk yesteday.

Krista

2012-10-06 5:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hello. I started this program last week. This is something I wanted for long time but only recently it become possible. The thing is that I started in the past many times, each time forced to back up due to pain. This time it is different since I discovered it is actually my footware that is hurting me. Thanks to Born to run and other wonderfull BF books I have red since.

Not sure how I will do this program barefoot since it is getting colder, but for walking part it doesn't matter, I can walk shod pain free if I pay attention how do I walk. (When I start to run there are many options available that are covered in all those BF books. I also know experienced marathoner recently converted to FB to turn to for any advice.)

I started to swim with a coach last spring and it really made a huge difference. I'm resuming to work with him soon.

During the summer not doing anything really, but I changed my diet according to Dr D'Adamo's books and released easy 5 kg  (that I have struggled with previous 10 years) and 3% BF in 2 months. My BMI went from 25 to 21.

My main focus for this autumn is to go to gym, improve my BF%, and strenghten my back and legs since many years of desk-sitting and couch-potatoing didn't helped with it. I'm 46.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aggressive Couch-to-5k Training Group Rss Feed  

of 11