Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-01-25 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3052872

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: RE: Beginner Cycling Program Group
Just checking in to see how it is going. tomorrow is my swim day but if we get snowed in, I will spin at home.

Edited by Lovey 2013-01-25 4:51 PM

2013-01-27 11:18 PM

New user

Hi guys.

Newbie here, looking forward to starting this program tomorrow. I used to be in the U.S. Army and back in 2004 I ran a couple of 10k's in less than an hour. Nothing great, but for someone who was overweight and even obese for most of his childhood and didn't really start running until 6 months prior, I was just happy I finished. Now fast-forward 8+ years and 110 additional lbs later and I've decided to try and get back into shape - by starting to train for a triathlon!!! But before anyone freaks out, don't worry. I won't by entering my self into a tri anytime soon.

My goal is quite simple: git back into shape by training for a specific purpose. I have a couple of reasons for doing it this way. 1) I have found that setting weight-loss as my specific goal in general leads me to get upset and discouraged  when I can't tell the difference in the mirror from week to week or when the number on the scale doesn't match my expectations. Instead, I want to try making the workouts and the training gains my measure of success and just know that I'm getting healthier, and not worry about how quickly the weight is coming off. 2) I can't think of any better way to build the body that I've always wanted than to build it with performance, and not just appearance, in mind.

That being said, I'm ready to get started with cycling and walking+light jogging. I've never cycled as a specific exercise, but mostly used it as a method of transportation that I knew would cause me to sweat (I have a natural aversion to stationary bikes), so I think this should be fun. Well, that's me. I am definitely open to any advice anyone might have with getting started.

2013-01-28 6:10 AM
in reply to: #4597219

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
robby35us - 2013-01-28 12:18 AM

Hi guys.

Newbie here, looking forward to starting this program tomorrow. I used to be in the U.S. Army and back in 2004 I ran a couple of 10k's in less than an hour. Nothing great, but for someone who was overweight and even obese for most of his childhood and didn't really start running until 6 months prior, I was just happy I finished. Now fast-forward 8+ years and 110 additional lbs later and I've decided to try and get back into shape - by starting to train for a triathlon!!! But before anyone freaks out, don't worry. I won't by entering my self into a tri anytime soon.

My goal is quite simple: git back into shape by training for a specific purpose. I have a couple of reasons for doing it this way. 1) I have found that setting weight-loss as my specific goal in general leads me to get upset and discouraged  when I can't tell the difference in the mirror from week to week or when the number on the scale doesn't match my expectations. Instead, I want to try making the workouts and the training gains my measure of success and just know that I'm getting healthier, and not worry about how quickly the weight is coming off. 2) I can't think of any better way to build the body that I've always wanted than to build it with performance, and not just appearance, in mind.

That being said, I'm ready to get started with cycling and walking+light jogging. I've never cycled as a specific exercise, but mostly used it as a method of transportation that I knew would cause me to sweat (I have a natural aversion to stationary bikes), so I think this should be fun. Well, that's me. I am definitely open to any advice anyone might have with getting started.

Welcome Robert. This board isn't very active but there are a couple of us.
I am/was in the same boat as you. 2008, I started run/walking following the couch to 5K program.
I signed up for a 5k with a friend and slowly finished. I found have a race or event on my schedule kept me on track. By 2011, I had dropped 4 sizes, completely 5ks, 10ks, triathlons and even my first marathon. I went from a 16 minute mile to a 12 minute mile. 2012, I had a stress fracture and shattered my ankle in a bicycle crash training for a duathlon. Less than a year later, I am starting all over!

We can motivate each other. I was suppose to start this program last week but had dialy migraines to the point of dizziness and nausea so I rested instead.

Do you have a stationary bike at home or a trainer? Do you plan to take spiining at a gym?
I am signed up for spinning tomorrow at my gym. I do have atrainer at home as well. My gym bikes have cadence computers so I can still follow the program.

Let's get started.
2013-01-29 9:33 PM

New user

Long Beach

Hi...my name is Emily. I am starting tomorrow. My goal is to do one classic triathlon before the end of 2013. I plan to set baby step goals along the way (5k-10k, sprints, etc.)

I am with you Robert, I have been fit and athletic in the past to control my weight. This time its about the journey for me. At 44 years old, it is time to stop trying to prove myself and please everyone around me. I want to feel healthier, be confident in my own skin, have some new adventures and experiences in my life.

My son is an avid rock climber. If I get healthy and strong, I can try it too. I actually bought the climbing shoes about 5 years ago, and returned them because I did not feel strong enough to make it a few feet off the ground. 

I am with both of you. Let's get this on!

Smile

2013-01-30 2:55 PM
in reply to: #4600600

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
emdwag44 - 2013-01-29 10:33 PM

Hi...my name is Emily. I am starting tomorrow. My goal is to do one classic triathlon before the end of 2013. I plan to set baby step goals along the way (5k-10k, sprints, etc.)

I am with you Robert, I have been fit and athletic in the past to control my weight. This time its about the journey for me. At 44 years old, it is time to stop trying to prove myself and please everyone around me. I want to feel healthier, be confident in my own skin, have some new adventures and experiences in my life.

My son is an avid rock climber. If I get healthy and strong, I can try it too. I actually bought the climbing shoes about 5 years ago, and returned them because I did not feel strong enough to make it a few feet off the ground. 

I am with both of you. Let's get this on!

Smile

Welcome Emily. I started yesterday. I didn't do today due to being sick and my kids being sick. I spent most of the day taking someone to the doctor, picking meds and waiting in between.
Hopefully, I can make it tomorrow.

What are you guys training on?
Are you in spin class or at home on a spin bike or trainer?

You can log your all your training in the "training log". The button is at the top of the page.
If you spin, you can put it in as spinning under sports or you can estimate the miles and put it under the bike training section. I use the bike training section.

Edited by Lovey 2013-01-30 2:58 PM
2013-02-18 3:14 AM

HiIm new to cycling and using a cadence meter.What is a good warm and cool down RPM.Cheers thanks

2013-02-18 2:28 PM

Anybody have advice in cycling training?
2013-02-18 10:35 PM

Hi Everyone,

I started this program today.  I recently bought the Proform Tour de France trainer and so far I love it. I did the first workout and it wasn't to hard for me, but the lunges afterward were a killer.  I had baby this past April and then I had a pelvic injury so this is my first time in just about 2 years of getting back into a workout plan. I think this program will be a great fit for me, I am overweight and out of shape so I am treating this as my pre-triathlon training.  Wish me luck!!!

dana

2013-02-19 12:05 AM
in reply to: #4626321

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
gyeates - 2013-02-18 4:14 AM

HiIm new to cycling and using a cadence meter.What is a good warm and cool down RPM.Cheers thanks

I am not an expert. In spin class, I warm up around 70. Low resistance.
2013-02-19 12:08 AM
in reply to: #4627149

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
CauseIcan - 2013-02-18 3:28 PM

Anybody have advice in cycling training?

Advice on something specific?
2013-02-19 7:09 AM

Thanks for answering my question.I finished playing rugby a year ago and havent played any sports since.My goal is to do an adventure race in April. Its in Wicklow in Ireland.but im struggling to put a plan together for both cycling and running. my fittness would not be the best as im new to both sports.does anyone have any advice or training plans? Cheers.

2013-03-23 8:05 AM

New user

My name is Mary. I have over 100 lbs to lose and joined this because I have a Schwinn Aire Dyne and this seems like a good place to start my journey.
2013-03-23 11:00 PM
in reply to: #4671325

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
parakeeter - 2013-03-23 9:05 AM

My name is Mary. I have over 100 lbs to lose and joined this because I have a Schwinn Aire Dyne and this seems like a good place to start my journey.

Welcome Mary.
2013-05-06 2:19 PM

User image

New user

Helo everyone. My name is Fred and I am writting from Brazil. Please forgive my poor english. 

I started taking a look at Beginner Triathlete website and I am very interested in all the information and training plans. In fact, I spent the last 12 months trying to build up a training routine and failed. 

Some conflicts with my wife, some difficulties one an knee injury and a loss of motivation due to my overweight made me suffer and start failing on my routine. 

Now I spent the last 40 days without training, working on my problems to allow me restarting. 

That´s why I am choosing this program and I trully believe that it can help me. 

I will keep in touch. 

My best. 

Fred

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Cycling Program Group Rss Feed  

of 5