General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Cycling Program Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2010-08-19 12:11 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: Beginner Cycling Program Group
If you are starting the Beginner Cycling Training Program, come join in this group!  This group will connect you with others starting or already training on this plan. 

Post your introduction, background, ask questions and get motivated!

2010-08-20 3:19 PM
in reply to: #3052872

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Subject: RE: Beginner Cycling Program Group
I started this plan this week.  I'm a big recreational bike rider from years ago, and have started getting back into it.  I mostly use the stationary bikes at the gym for this, since I don't have a trainer or a bike computer to monitor my cadence. 

For background, I am 32 years old and very overweight thanks to years of horrid nutrition and a genetic pre-disposition to a low metabolism.  I do have a pretty good strength base, thanks to years of weight training in high school and college and beyond, but my endurance is pretty much nil, thanks to no cardio training (cause I find it boring).  For example, I can crank up the resistance on the spin bike during class and not have a problem...for about a minute.  After that, my legs are toast. 

I had rotator cuff surgery 2 years ago (today!) to reattach my supraspinatus tendon which had been completely avulsed from the humeral head (basically, the tendon came off the bone, rather than tearing in teh middle like most people) thanks to a bouldering fall the year before which broke my elbow.  I have about 95% mobility back in my shoulder,  but my strength is abysmal and I still have trouble with push-ups and dips.  Part of this I think is due to form issues, which I plan to address this weekend. 

So if anyone has any ideas for different exercises rather than push-ups or dips, I'm all ears!
2010-08-23 8:11 AM

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd
I did not even know there was a plan like this until I saw this thread.

I am thinking of doing the plan for 2 reasons.

1) My son enjoys riding his bike. He will sit beside me and keep me company while I am on the trainer. Since I got a new tri bike I set my old road bike up for him. I ordered a second trainer so we could ride together. I want him to get used to shifting the gears before we head out on the road. I think this would be a good way for him to start off.

2) I am thinking the plan would be good to use for cross-training while I'm mainly running in preparation for a marathon this fall.

As soon as the new trainer gets here we will be off and cycling using this plan.
2010-08-23 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3055538

User image

Expert
Missouri
gnome - 2010-08-20 3:19 PM I started this plan this week.  I'm a big recreational bike rider from years ago, and have started getting back into it.  I mostly use the stationary bikes at the gym for this, since I don't have a trainer or a bike computer to monitor my cadence. 

How is this working doing it on the stationary?  I don't have a trainer or bike computer either.  My biking skills need serious work though so if this is working good for you, I may give it a try.  I think I might modify the program a bit though - biking 6 days a week is just not going to happen for me. 
2010-08-23 12:05 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
FYI on bike computers. They can be found for less than 30 dollars at most bike shops or on ebay. Very good investment if you want to work on your cycling.
2010-08-23 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3058263

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
ironannekidd - 2010-08-23 8:11 AM I did not even know there was a plan like this until I saw this thread.

I am thinking of doing the plan for 2 reasons.

1) My son enjoys riding his bike. He will sit beside me and keep me company while I am on the trainer. Since I got a new tri bike I set my old road bike up for him. I ordered a second trainer so we could ride together. I want him to get used to shifting the gears before we head out on the road. I think this would be a good way for him to start off.

2) I am thinking the plan would be good to use for cross-training while I'm mainly running in preparation for a marathon this fall.

As soon as the new trainer gets here we will be off and cycling using this plan.

Very smart thinking! I like the idea of using the cycling plan for cross training. I think it's great that you bought your son his own trainer!

2010-08-23 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3058293

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
soccermom15 - 2010-08-23 9:23 AM How is this working doing it on the stationary?  I don't have a trainer or bike computer either.  My biking skills need serious work though so if this is working good for you, I may give it a try.  I think I might modify the program a bit though - biking 6 days a week is just not going to happen for me. 

It's working pretty well.  The Saturday workouts, since they don't (at least right now) require a cadence or anything, I did on a spin bike, since it's easier to use one leg on those, at least at my gym.  I have use an interval timer on an app on my iPod touch, and away I go.  The seat on the stationary bike at my gym is also much wider and softer, so it's a bit more comfortable (though that may be a drawback come time to do serious time on my own bike). 

All in all, I'd prefer to do at least some of these at home or on my own bike, but I don't live in a bike friendly area to ride for long distances on the roads and I can't justify the money for a trainer (went back to school after being laid-off, and saving for a wedding next fall).  I will probably go an get a bike computer.  I've seen some that are very reasonably priced at my LBS.
2010-08-23 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3059498

User image

Expert
Missouri
gnome - 2010-08-23 3:05 PM
soccermom15 - 2010-08-23 9:23 AM How is this working doing it on the stationary?  I don't have a trainer or bike computer either.  My biking skills need serious work though so if this is working good for you, I may give it a try.  I think I might modify the program a bit though - biking 6 days a week is just not going to happen for me. 

It's working pretty well.  The Saturday workouts, since they don't (at least right now) require a cadence or anything, I did on a spin bike, since it's easier to use one leg on those, at least at my gym.  I have use an interval timer on an app on my iPod touch, and away I go.  The seat on the stationary bike at my gym is also much wider and softer, so it's a bit more comfortable (though that may be a drawback come time to do serious time on my own bike). 

All in all, I'd prefer to do at least some of these at home or on my own bike, but I don't live in a bike friendly area to ride for long distances on the roads and I can't justify the money for a trainer (went back to school after being laid-off, and saving for a wedding next fall).  I will probably go an get a bike computer.  I've seen some that are very reasonably priced at my LBS.

Congrats on the wedding! 
I've been considering a bike computer also (might be going on my Christmas listSmile).  Roads here aren't bad to ride on depending on the time of day, I'm just not comfortable enough yet with my bike skills to go very far.  No trainer for me for the same reason Money mouth - with 2 teenagers (one in college, one in HS), it's just not something I would feel right buying if I can get by without it. 
2010-08-23 4:42 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
A tip on buying a bike trainer: keep your eyes on Craigslist! I see them on there occasionally, and you may get lucky and find one in your budget.
2010-08-23 10:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
I've been quietly stalking ebay as well. 
2010-08-25 1:12 PM
in reply to: #3055538

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
gnome - 2010-08-20 1:19 PM

I had rotator cuff surgery 2 years ago (today!) to reattach my supraspinatus tendon which had been completely avulsed from the humeral head (basically, the tendon came off the bone, rather than tearing in teh middle like most people) thanks to a bouldering fall the year before which broke my elbow.  I have about 95% mobility back in my shoulder,  but my strength is abysmal and I still have trouble with push-ups and dips.  Part of this I think is due to form issues, which I plan to address this weekend. 

So if anyone has any ideas for different exercises rather than push-ups or dips, I'm all ears!

What, specifically, are you trying to address? The supraspinatus abducts the arm (Which means moves it away from the body), so a pushup (adduction, or bringing closer of the upper arm to the body) and dips (triceps primarily, depending on body position), neither will really work the supra except as a stabilizer/ancillary muscle.

And what do you mean by "trouble"? Can't do them because of pain? Weakness? Impingement?

Bit of a hijack on the cycling thread, so PM me if you want, or if TTMA (Tri Take me away) doesn't mind I can also answer more here.

As far as the cardio, if you find it boring, you're gonna have trouble, unless you want to do track sprints. :p

John

2010-08-27 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3059744

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-08-23 5:42 PM A tip on buying a bike trainer: keep your eyes on Craigslist! I see them on there occasionally, and you may get lucky and find one in your budget.

I was watching Craigslist, but I live in the middle of nowhere.  I did find one, but they wanted $$ for a used one. I picked one up for less than $100 from performance bike. 

My son has been riding on the trainer while he plays his video games.
2010-08-30 4:32 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Let's check in and see how everyone is doing this week!
Jessica
2010-08-31 6:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Doing ok as far as the program goes.  I can tell my endurance is slowly creeping up, and I just got clipless shoes and pedals (new to me) for my bike. I practiced clipping in and out on the spin bikes at the gym so I don't fall on my face and break something.

I'm frustrated as far as weight loss goes though.  My diet isn't the best in the world, especially the last few days (in-laws were in town, ballgame, etc), but I try to eat as clean as I can even when we're out.  I''m starting week 3 and have seen zero results as far as the scale and measuring tape go.  In fact, the last 2 weeks I've gone up!  I know I need to get my nutrition under control, but I just can't figure out if I'm eating too much or not enough.  I'm hoping that now that classes have started back up and I'm on more of a routine, I'll be better able to control my habits and things will start going in the right direction.
2010-08-31 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3072794

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
gnome - 2010-08-31 6:21 AM Doing ok as far as the program goes.  I can tell my endurance is slowly creeping up, and I just got clipless shoes and pedals (new to me) for my bike. I practiced clipping in and out on the spin bikes at the gym so I don't fall on my face and break something.

I'm frustrated as far as weight loss goes though.  My diet isn't the best in the world, especially the last few days (in-laws were in town, ballgame, etc), but I try to eat as clean as I can even when we're out.  I''m starting week 3 and have seen zero results as far as the scale and measuring tape go.  In fact, the last 2 weeks I've gone up!  I know I need to get my nutrition under control, but I just can't figure out if I'm eating too much or not enough.  I'm hoping that now that classes have started back up and I'm on more of a routine, I'll be better able to control my habits and things will start going in the right direction.

Congrats on the clipless shoes!
Weight loss: don't get me started! I am very passionate about weight loss for athletes and I see a lot of very common issues. I have no idea if any of these apply to you, but these are the big ones I see the most:
too many carbs and not enough fat
eating more due to increase in exercise
not sleeping enough
over-estimating how many calories are burned during exercise by not subtracting how many calories you would have burned just sitting on the couch, and eating food as a reward after training that wipes out the calorie deficit you created.

Despite the fact that I own a fitness boot camp, I tell all my clients that 80% of your body composition comes from what you EAT, not what you DO. Unfortunately, what most people DO when they aren't losing weight with exercise is to exercise MORE instead of changing eating habits. That just makes the problem worse because it creates more hunger and more stress on the body.
See! I got started and couldn't stop!! Argh!!
Jessica
2010-09-01 11:11 AM
in reply to: #3072828

User image

Expert
Missouri
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-08-31 6:49 AM
gnome - 2010-08-31 6:21 AM Doing ok as far as the program goes.  I can tell my endurance is slowly creeping up, and I just got clipless shoes and pedals (new to me) for my bike. I practiced clipping in and out on the spin bikes at the gym so I don't fall on my face and break something.

over-estimating how many calories are burned during exercise by not subtracting how many calories you would have burned just sitting on the couch, and eating food as a reward after training that wipes out the calorie deficit you created.

Jessica

This is me, LOL!  I'll go for a run or a ride then eat a big bowl of ice creamEmbarassed.  I've been trying to get better about it (had an apple instead the other night) but since my weight really isn't an issue for me, I honestly don't pay as much attention as I should.  Our regular meals are fairly healthy most nights, it's the snacks that get me some days.

I did the first day of the program on Sunday using a stationary bike at the gym.  I think I need to up the resistance level though - it almost seemed too easy.  I liked the intervals though.  That was something I don't normally do on the bike.  I'm planning to do day 2 tonight (I'm spreading things out a little, 6 days of cycling a week is just not something I can fit in).  It'll probably also be on the stationary bike - thunderstorms all day today will keep me from getting out on my road bike.

2010-09-01 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3075982

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
soccermom15 - 2010-09-01 11:11 AM
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-08-31 6:49 AM

Jessica

This is me, LOL!  I'll go for a run or a ride then eat a big bowl of ice creamEmbarassed.  I've been trying to get better about it (had an apple instead the other night) but since my weight really isn't an issue for me, I honestly don't pay as much attention as I should.  Our regular meals are fairly healthy most nights, it's the snacks that get me some days.

I did the first day of the program on Sunday using a stationary bike at the gym.  I think I need to up the resistance level though - it almost seemed too easy.  I liked the intervals though.  That was something I don't normally do on the bike.  I'm planning to do day 2 tonight (I'm spreading things out a little, 6 days of cycling a week is just not something I can fit in).  It'll probably also be on the stationary bike - thunderstorms all day today will keep me from getting out on my road bike.

Great job on getting started! Do you have a heart rate monitor? That will help you get a sense of whether you are working too easy or too hard. Otherwise, continue to experiment with the resistance on the stationary bike until you feel you are challenged but don't have any problem recovering for the next session.
Jessica
2010-09-02 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
So here's a nutrition-related question.  As I said before, I've been doing this program for 2.5 weeks now.  due to scheduling, I've missed the long aerobic rides on Sundays, but I did fencing on both those Sundays.  I admit I haven't been a saint when it comes to my diet, but I'm working on eating clean and eating several small meals rather than a few large ones.

My question is this..I have a net weight loss of 0 (went down first week, back up second week, no change in measurements).  I am doing the beginning cycling program, logging my food intakes, but no changes.  Am I eating too much?  Not enough?  Not enough intensity on trainings?  I am a poor judge of intensity, and don't do well with my HRM (it is spotty at best, and only gives me a reading, and I suck at remembering what my ranges are).  I am looking at adding some swimming 1x/wk (at least) so I'm wondering if I should be concerned with my intake.  I know it can be hard to lose weight of you aren't eating enough (starvation mode) but how much is too much vs not enough?  (I'm also in a pretty intense semester at school, and can't afford to get sick).
2010-09-02 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3078932

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
gnome - 2010-09-02 1:47 PM So here's a nutrition-related question.  As I said before, I've been doing this program for 2.5 weeks now.  due to scheduling, I've missed the long aerobic rides on Sundays, but I did fencing on both those Sundays.  I admit I haven't been a saint when it comes to my diet, but I'm working on eating clean and eating several small meals rather than a few large ones.

My question is this..I have a net weight loss of 0 (went down first week, back up second week, no change in measurements).  I am doing the beginning cycling program, logging my food intakes, but no changes.  Am I eating too much?  Not enough?  Not enough intensity on trainings?  I am a poor judge of intensity, and don't do well with my HRM (it is spotty at best, and only gives me a reading, and I suck at remembering what my ranges are).  I am looking at adding some swimming 1x/wk (at least) so I'm wondering if I should be concerned with my intake.  I know it can be hard to lose weight of you aren't eating enough (starvation mode) but how much is too much vs not enough?  (I'm also in a pretty intense semester at school, and can't afford to get sick).

It's hard to answer without more info, but here are some basic thoughts:
1. Are you hungry?
2. Have you changed what you are eating because you are training?
3. Are you sleeping more or less?
4. Has stress level changed at all?

Don't add intensity to lose weight, and don't add time either. Keep the exercise where it is supposed to be for your training plan. 80% of weight loss is nutrition. 20% is exercise, so when you really want to lose weight you have to focus your effort on that 80%, not the 20%. Give me a sample day of what you eat if you want and I can give some basic feedback.
Jessica
2010-09-09 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3075982

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
soccermom15 - 2010-09-01 9:11 AM

Here's a great healthy snack that tastes like you're cheating.

Get jello sugar free pudding, usually choc or vanilla is what I use. Add a scoop or two of protein powder to the mix. Prepare and put in individual bowls in the fridge.

Great snack, healthy and the protein won't hurt!

John
2010-09-09 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3079104

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-09-02 12:36 PM
gnome - 2010-09-02 1:47 PM So here's a nutrition-related question.  As I said before, I've been doing this program for 2.5 weeks now.  due to scheduling, I've missed the long aerobic rides on Sundays, but I did fencing on both those Sundays.  I admit I haven't been a saint when it comes to my diet, but I'm working on eating clean and eating several small meals rather than a few large ones.

It's hard to answer without more info, but here are some basic thoughts:
1. Are you hungry?
2. Have you changed what you are eating because you are training?
3. Are you sleeping more or less?
4. Has stress level changed at all?

Don't add intensity to lose weight, and don't add time either. Keep the exercise where it is supposed to be for your training plan. 80% of weight loss is nutrition. 20% is exercise, so when you really want to lose weight you have to focus your effort on that 80%, not the 20%. Give me a sample day of what you eat if you want and I can give some basic feedback.
Jessica

X2 on all of ^^^^.

One other consideration, is that it is not uncommon to have some weight gains in the early stages of exercise programs that are new, due to water retention while your muscles recover. That's one of my personal "signs" that I need to take a rest day, is that my weight goes up by a couple pounds and stays there for a few days, and my resting HR goes up as well.

John

2010-09-09 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
thats interesting, though it makes perfect sense on a physiological level.  Not that I'm allowing that to be an excuse, but it's something to watch for, as a sign of overtraining.  thanks!
2010-09-13 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Month 2 starts today!

Did the workout this afternoon.  Kind of annoying getting on and off the bike every few minutes. 

Meanwhile, still zero weight loss.  I've tightened down my caloric intake to somewhere between 1700-1800, in the hopes that it was a matter of eating too much for a while, then dropping it down too low.  Hopefully I'll see some difference.

on the plus side, I made it through month 1 mostly intact (aside from a miss on yesterday's workout due to residual pain from a fall on saturday), and my heart rate is lower when I really get going.  I'm not really charting it, as my old monitor doesn't allow for that kind of stuff, but I just got a new (to me) Polar F6, so I'm hoping it'll allow me to chart my averages better.
2010-09-14 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3096394

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
gnome - 2010-09-13 5:20 PM Month 2 starts today!

Did the workout this afternoon.  Kind of annoying getting on and off the bike every few minutes. 

Meanwhile, still zero weight loss.  I've tightened down my caloric intake to somewhere between 1700-1800, in the hopes that it was a matter of eating too much for a while, then dropping it down too low.  Hopefully I'll see some difference.

on the plus side, I made it through month 1 mostly intact (aside from a miss on yesterday's workout due to residual pain from a fall on saturday), and my heart rate is lower when I really get going.  I'm not really charting it, as my old monitor doesn't allow for that kind of stuff, but I just got a new (to me) Polar F6, so I'm hoping it'll allow me to chart my averages better.

VERY cool! You are doing great! Are you logging your nutrition at all? If you start logging it on BT, I can help figure out what might be preventing you from losing weight. Logging IS a pain in the butt, but I tell people to only do it for two weeks at a time every few months. Helps to get an honest picture of what your macro-nutrient and calorie intake is.
2010-09-14 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3097174

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-09-14 5:49 AM

VERY cool! You are doing great! Are you logging your nutrition at all? If you start logging it on BT, I can help figure out what might be preventing you from losing weight. Logging IS a pain in the butt, but I tell people to only do it for two weeks at a time every few months. Helps to get an honest picture of what your macro-nutrient and calorie intake is.

x2. And don't rely 100% on Polar, etc for calorie expenditure, they are generic formulae for calculating that sort of thing.

Also, when you log nutrition, be brutally honest, and while it is a pain in the tookus for a while, take the time to weigh, calculate, etc. for a couple weeks for everything that you eat. Pour a glass of milk? Figure out how many cups you drank. I was underestimating a LOT of food items.

The other thing that will help is to set up custom foods for yourself on the BT logs. What I was doing was taking the calorie count of everything that went into a dish, figuring out how many cups of dinner it produced, and then calculating out how much I was eating. I found I was underestimating my calorie intake by about 3-400 cals a day, which is a huge margin. (And I had classes in this stuff!)

John
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Cycling Program Group Rss Feed  

of 5