General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Cycling Program Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2011-06-20 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3052872

Subject: RE: Beginner Cycling Program Group
Good question, I'll have to look into that. Thanks though never thought to look for indoor mode.

2011-07-22 7:13 PM

After injuring my knee over 6 mos ago now and realizing that unless I stopped running it would never have a chance of healing, I started doing a lot more cycling. I cycle a lot at the gym as well as street cycling. I would like to build up my cycling and hopefully enter races, just like 5K's I participated in the last couple of years. I enjoy pushing myself to new levels. I am 56 - lost about 80 lbs 2 1/2 years ago and have been pretty fit the last couple of years now. I try to keep challenging myself for fun and to help me keep the weight off. I'm just trying to understand how this beginning program works.....

Ei - If not now, when?

2011-07-23 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3610786

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Ei214 - 2011-07-22 7:13 PM

After injuring my knee over 6 mos ago now and realizing that unless I stopped running it would never have a chance of healing, I started doing a lot more cycling. I cycle a lot at the gym as well as street cycling. I would like to build up my cycling and hopefully enter races, just like 5K's I participated in the last couple of years. I enjoy pushing myself to new levels. I am 56 - lost about 80 lbs 2 1/2 years ago and have been pretty fit the last couple of years now. I try to keep challenging myself for fun and to help me keep the weight off. I'm just trying to understand how this beginning program works.....

Ei - If not now, when?

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your inspiring story with us. If you go here you can read the Beginner Cycling Program and give it a try. It's designed to help people build up their cycling endurance if they are new to cycling, and to do so in a safe and steady manner. Many of us tend to push ourselves too hard when we start something new, and following a plan like this one will prevent you from getting in your own way and perhaps injuring yourself or burning out from doing too much too soon.
I am here to answer any questions you have about the plan as you get started, including terminology, adjusting the plan to suit your schedule, and any other things you might need clarification on.

2011-07-24 9:43 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm starting the beginner's cycle program tomarrow morning with a lot of trepidation. lol. I biked a lot when I was a teenager and throughout my life but now I find myself 43 years old and 70 (!!!!!)lbs overweight. I was looking through the internet and happened to find a site for a Try-atholon. Its a mini-triathlon and all the money raised goes to charity. I thought hmmm....I would like to do that. This years is in September, so that's definatly out, but I'm going to begin training for next year now.

I've ran a few 5k's (a few years ago) and could probably save myself if I were drowning (maybe!) so I've got a long way to go. Was really happy to find this forum with other people also starting the cycle training and interested in doing tri's.

Looking forward to making some friends that are suffering as much as me!Tongue out

2011-07-25 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3612125

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Inittothinit - 2011-07-24 9:43 AM

Hi everyone!

I'm starting the beginner's cycle program tomarrow morning with a lot of trepidation. lol. I biked a lot when I was a teenager and throughout my life but now I find myself 43 years old and 70 (!!!!!)lbs overweight. I was looking through the internet and happened to find a site for a Try-atholon. Its a mini-triathlon and all the money raised goes to charity. I thought hmmm....I would like to do that. This years is in September, so that's definatly out, but I'm going to begin training for next year now.

I've ran a few 5k's (a few years ago) and could probably save myself if I were drowning (maybe!) so I've got a long way to go. Was really happy to find this forum with other people also starting the cycle training and interested in doing tri's.

Looking forward to making some friends that are suffering as much as me!Tongue out

Welcome! Please continue to let us know how the plan is working for you!

2011-08-15 7:47 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island, NY

Hey all, I just wanted to drop in and say howdy.  I've been around this site for a while, but am coming back around to doing tri related work.  I've been having a lot of success with the Couch to 5K running program, but every time I get to week 5 or 6, I sustain an injury that basically requires me to start over.  This time it was a calf problem.  Fortunately, it doesn't bother me on the bike.  It looks like the bike is the right step for me at the moment.

Anyway, I'm going to use this program to get back in shape and get back out on the bike.  Diet is the other hurdle...although, I know how to conquer that (knowing and doing are two completely different things, however).

Anyway, I have a few questions for you all:

1. Any recommendations on inexpensive bike computers?  I'd like to use one, but don't have much money to spend.
  2. I don't know how you guys remember the workout breakdowns when you're out on the road.  I was planning on just riding at a challenging pace for the duration specified when out on the road and sticking to the program more stringently when on the exercise bike at the gym.  Anyone see major flaws with that plan?
  3. I was looking at some of the early workouts and they call for cadences in the 50's and 60's (i.e. Week 1, Wednesday).  Are those supposed to be easy or is the idea to use a high gear so that's all you can spin?  A comfortable pace for me (on the exercise bike, I don't know about real world) is in the 70's.  I guess I'm not certain on recovery days, etc.

Well, that's probably enough for now.  Thanks for the thread and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions

2012-04-26 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Anyone still doing the program? How is it going?
2012-04-27 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4175176

User image

Regular
Long Island, NY

I had good results with it last summer.  Got to the point where I did 20+ miles in one ride. The problem I found was that I just didn't have the time towards the end of the program to do the longer rides - especially during the week.

I'd strongly recommend it though, especially if you have a flexible schedule that allows you to set aside large chunks of time for training. I'll be using it to some extent or another again this summer.

2012-04-27 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4176379

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
My longest ride has been about 30 miles. However, I am a slow 10-12 mile per hour rider on a flat bar road bike aka performance hybrid. I do not want to invest in a road bike now or maybe never.
I have done 3 triathlons with this bike so far. I just want to build my strength and speed.
2012-05-10 8:17 PM

New user

Northern California
i would like to join this group.
2012-06-13 11:14 AM

Hello all, I've got a question about starting the Beginner Cyclling Program.   I'm curious to know if the Mon - Fri exercises should be done on a trainer or actual riding?  I know the Saturday exercise specifically says to use the trainer, but i'm just wondering if Mon - Fri are better on the trainer or actual riding.  Also can anyone give me adivse on calculating RPM's while riding or spinning.   Thanks for your help, I'm a rookie!

2012-06-13 11:15 AM

Subject: ---

Edited by scwilkins 2012-06-13 11:16 AM
2012-07-27 12:01 PM

Hello everybody, 

I am new to the website and like sports. I am considering starting this program to keep fit and improve myself. I try biking whenever possible in the morning and I use a mountain bike on the road for the purpose. I figured doing this kind of program in group is better than alone. 

I live in Melbourne, FL, and I am 25. I exercise most of the time and dance a lot. I also love challenges, and a triathlon seems like a good one, if you ask me Smile. When it comes to tri, I am a beginner, as in level 0. I hope to improve my level with help I hope to get from here. 

Cheers!  

2012-07-27 12:01 PM

Hello everybody, 

I am new to the website and like sports. I am considering starting this program to keep fit and improve myself. I try biking whenever possible in the morning and I use a mountain bike on the road for the purpose. I figured doing this kind of program in group is better than alone. 

I live in Melbourne, FL, and I am 25. I exercise most of the time and dance a lot. I also love challenges, and a triathlon seems like a good one, if you ask me Smile. When it comes to tri, I am a beginner, as in level 0. I hope to improve my level with help I hope to get from here. 

Cheers!  

2012-07-27 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Welcome.

I hope everyone is doing ok on this program. I won't be doing it for a couple of months. I fractured my ankle back on Mother's day during a 10 mile ride where I crashed at mile 8. I am still on crutches trying to get back walking again after surgery. I now have 8 screws and a plate permanently in my ankle.

I still look forward to riding my bike again someday.
2012-08-06 6:23 PM

New user

Wigan
Hi all,Inspired by London 2012 so launched myself into this tonight!I'm too old to enter the Olympics but not too old get myself super fit again.If anyone else is following this pls let me know.CheersGarry

2012-08-14 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4350057

New user

Wigan

All seems very quiet in here - The plan I'm following is very good btw but can't see the point of this group if no one uses it?

Shame...

2012-09-07 12:36 AM

Hello all, 

I am 41 and in horrible shape. I was at 286 lbs and have stumbled my way down to 272. I am going to start (hopefully) the beginner cycling program a week from Monday. I have a stress test next week, and on doctors orders not allowed to do anything overly strenuous until after the test. 

I was in athletic shape into my early 20's, when lack of time and good nutrition started taking it's toll. I did mountain bike until a couple of years ago when an on the trail injury took me out for awhile.

My short term goal is to run/walk a 5k this fall/winter (mostly walk) with longer term goals of completing the biking section of a triathalon at the end of next summer, followed by competing in a full triathlon in the fall of 2013 or at the beginning of the season of 2014.

I have to thank my cousin who is in dire need of a cyclist for her triathlon relay team for motivating me to get moving again, and my daughter who wants a fit father who will swim and cycle with her.

Slade

2012-11-25 10:31 AM

User image

Anybody doing this Program now?
2012-11-29 9:23 AM

I am a 59 yo female. I have been over weight for half my life, but have fond memories of a thin life I am sick of listening to everyone talk about how to eat! Why does food control everyone's lives? I get so confused about what to eat and what not to eat, that I don't eat. 30 years of not eating, then over eating have messed up my metabolism! 2 yrs ao I started biking, initially lost, but have since moved and lost all my biking buddies! I am not a loner, I am motivated by other people.....maybe this will help. I work with a trainer 2x a week.....Im gonna go get a trainer TODAY for one of my 3 bikes! I'm gonna just start doing this. I hope I can navigate my way around this computer vehicle to benefit. When I set my mind to something, I can be unstop able....I do not want to focus on food, I want to focuson moving and being healthy. I am also a 13 year breast cancer survivor and the first time I did a half marathon (100 lbs overweight) I ended up with a ruptured disc & surgery) so I'm a little fearful of hurting my body. I live in a wonderful area, the Smoky Mountains, everyone hikes, and I have a lot of opportunity to be outside.....I can do this......Monica
2013-01-18 12:58 AM

User image

New user

I just joined (with a bronze membership) to do this plan, specifically. I am a 30 year old female and just began cycling for weight loss a little over a year ago. I started on a stationary bike in home and did that consistently for about 7 months.  In April of 2012 I moved to Austin and decided it was time to get a bike and do the real thing. I fell in love with cycling and have been riding several times a week since.  My main bike is a cross bike, but I have also recently acquired a road bike. My furthest distance really isn't far (at a mere 34 miles), so I'm hoping to become more serious about it and lose more weight doing it.

I found this training program after doing a Google search and am planning on starting it Monday.  It's pretty detailed, so I hope I can follow it exactly. Are there any tips or pointers for completing this successfully?

Thanks!

2013-01-18 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4583820

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
ntjmw82 - 2013-01-18 1:58 AM

I just joined (with a bronze membership) to do this plan, specifically. I am a 30 year old female and just began cycling for weight loss a little over a year ago. I started on a stationary bike in home and did that consistently for about 7 months.  In April of 2012 I moved to Austin and decided it was time to get a bike and do the real thing. I fell in love with cycling and have been riding several times a week since.  My main bike is a cross bike, but I have also recently acquired a road bike. My furthest distance really isn't far (at a mere 34 miles), so I'm hoping to become more serious about it and lose more weight doing it.

I found this training program after doing a Google search and am planning on starting it Monday.  It's pretty detailed, so I hope I can follow it exactly. Are there any tips or pointers for completing this successfully?

Thanks!

Good luck to you. Unfortunately, I broke my ankle shortly after finding this program so I never completed it. My ankle is still recovering and I am allowed to spin but no outdoor riding.

This forum isn't active at all. However, if you would like some company, we can motivate each other. All my riding will hve to be on a spin bike though but I think I will still get similar results.

My gym's spin bikes have cadence computers that show your RPM. My personal bike also has a cadence computer. I have a trainer at home so I plan to hook my bike up and turn it into a stationary bike until I can ride outside again.

Still starting Monday 1/21/13?
2013-01-18 4:52 PM
in reply to: #4585017

User image

New user

Sorry to hear about your ankle. Did you break it cycling?

I would love someone to go at this with.  I'm looking at computers.  So far, the fanciest thing I've used is my phone's GPS to take me on bike routes. I'm going to look into something cheap for now, just to get me started measuring RPMs.  I know I'm slow.  Now I'll find out just HOW slow.

I still plan on starting on Monday, the 21st.  Does that work for you?

2013-01-18 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4585321

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
ntjmw82 - 2013-01-18 5:52 PM

Sorry to hear about your ankle. Did you break it cycling?

I would love someone to go at this with.  I'm looking at computers.  So far, the fanciest thing I've used is my phone's GPS to take me on bike routes. I'm going to look into something cheap for now, just to get me started measuring RPMs.  I know I'm slow.  Now I'll find out just HOW slow.

I still plan on starting on Monday, the 21st.  Does that work for you?

Yes, I did shatter my ankle cycling. It was suppose to be an easy 10 mile ride but I wiped out at mile 8. Now 1 surgery, 1 plate and 8 screws later, I am slowly trying to get back on the horse. I miss running most but eventually I will be able to ride and run outdoors again.

My local bike shop (LBS) had cadence computers. The cheapest I saw was $40 but you may be able to find some cheaper online.

Yes. Monday 1/21 works for me.
2013-01-21 5:59 PM

User image

New user

Wow! That's awful!  Did your foot slip? That sounds pretty painful.

So, I went to REI today and found a bike computer that measures cadence. I'm going to hook it up tonight. Unfortunately, the cheapest they had with a backlight was $125. So... I got the one for $50. 

I'm going to head to the gym and do the stantionary tonight so that I can actually measure the RPMs and such.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Cycling Program Group Rss Feed  

of 5