General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2015-02-05 3:38 PM
in reply to: Mtylersinclair

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group
Wow this thread has been resurrected quite a bit.

To answer your questions, pending the contributions of more knowledgeable/experienced folks:

Originally posted by Mtylersinclair
What are the big differences in swimming in a pool and open water?

#1 difference (in my opinion) is sighting. In a pool you can use the lines on the bottom and/or the lane dividers to keep you going straight. In open water you need to periodically pop your head up and look ahead to make sure you're heading in the right right direction.

You also get waves and currents to contend with in open water, in addition to it being colder. And of course bodily contact with other swimmers.

Originally posted by Mtylersinclair
My other question is what pace should I be swimming at during training?

As fast as you can. You don't get fast by swimming slow. As you approach your race you can start to work on longer intervals at race pace, but prior to that you should be doing short repeats as fast as you can do them while still being consistent (like sets of 20x25 or 10x50).

2015-02-06 8:18 PM
in reply to: Tri Take Me Away

User image

Newbie here just getting started. Training for a half marthon in April, then the VineMan Spring Tri in May! Need advice on training, gear, etc. Thanks!!
2015-02-07 3:37 AM
in reply to: cthigpen

User image

New user

Hi,
Welcome.
I wanted to say hello because Im training for my second, triathlon in May and a 10k in April.(Rock Hall Sprint Tri and the Clydes 10k in Columbia, MD.) I wanted to reach out to you and introduce myself. I was in great shape and completed the DC tri and Marine Corp Marathon and a number of marathons, half marathons, 10 milers and trail runs from 20011 to 2013; but then work and life got in the way, my diet went to crap and I quickly got out of shape and could not find the time to work out anymore. Well anyway Im back at it and harder than ever. The gear that I have found to be awesome, are Asics for running, I like the Gel-Noosas but I find Asics to be an awsome running shoe in general. My bike is a Trek Equinox7 and I love it, a little stiff but still awesome for a newbie like me...lets see, I use a Nineteen long sleve wet suit and a NeoSport vest both which I have found to be more than adequate.... and finally Speedo goggles and swim apparel seems to work just fine for me. Im a decent size guy of 210 to 220 when Im fit and up to 260 at my worst most inactive times.

Being fit is awesome, to be a triathlet is awesome, in fact to be a marathoner is awesome too. Enjoy!
2015-02-18 9:58 AM
in reply to: cthigpen

The good thing is about training for the half is that your endurance will be fine for a sprint. My only advice would be to get in the pool to get your swim technique down at least twice a week (more if you can swing it). Form in the pool translates directly into speed in the water. I was in the same position you were in when I did my first tri - I was in the middle of training for a half marathon. I was always a strong swimmer, but the open water kind of killed me on race day. I ended up on my back a lot due to not being used to swimming in a pack and sighting in the choppy water.

Gear: If you're doing a pool tri then regular goggles will work - if you're going to be in open water, I would suggest open water goggles like aquasphere or something similar. As you're going to be in the water in May, you shouldn't need a wetsuit. I used a pearl izumi pair of tri shorts and a quicksilver surf/swim shirt for a September race and it worked fine for me - check the water temp and the race website for their suggestions. With the tri shorts I was able to change shirts quickly and throw my helmet, shoes, gloves, and sunglasses on fairly quickly. This year I'm upping for a tri suit just to make less movements in the transition area. Quick laces are great too - keeps you from avoiding having to tie your shoes with wet hands. I didn't need any water on the bike, but I suggest having a road bike pump on your frame for emergencies (along with a spare tie and changing tool).

Hope this helps!
2015-02-18 10:08 AM

Intros -

40 y/o former Marine got out in 2006 - ran my first half marathon in 2010, first full (MCM) in 2011 - first tri in 2012, and this year I'm doing the Kinetic Sprint in May and then the Giant Acorn International in September.

My happy paces are running: 8-8:30/mile; 1:40-1:50/100yds swim, and about a 7/8 Mph bike (average - and to be honest I haven't been on a bike in a while as I deploy a LOT! lol)

I usually am in the pool at Sport and Health in Woodbridge (look for the huge back tattoo), or on the bike there (too cold for road right now). I also run most of my time out on PW parkway out past Apollo Road. If you see me (I'm the guy with the beard right now) - please say hi. I love the family that is triathletes so much more so than when I was just straight running. My ADD gets the better of me to do nothing but run all the time. When I'm not training for distance, I'm usually in the gym doing strength training.

I hope to see you all on the course!
2015-02-18 10:15 AM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by bmmiles14

New to Triathlon Program,

I live in Bowie Maryland and recently joined La Fitness..Looking for people to workout with.

Really need help swimming/training..

I can bike for 1 hour at a 15 mph pace and also jog for 30 mins at a 9:00 pace

I suck at swimming and need the most help their.

If there is a workout club to join i would be very interested.

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Mike - you might want to check this book out: http://www.amazon.com/Swim-Workouts-Triathletes-Practical-Endurance...
It has translated so much for me in swimming coming from being a beginner - it's great at explaining not only the workouts, but the language. There's also different plans for different distances in there.

Edited by DLBoatman 2015-02-18 10:16 AM

2015-02-20 10:14 AM

HI Everyone,

Super excited and nervous for my first tri in June. Currently I go to spinning classes for 1 hour and do very well 3x week, I run at an 8 min pace and swimming I do ok but in need of more practices. What I need is advice and love to read others responses as it answers my questions! I was going to ask about the gear but someone else did . How can I improve my swim time? I am planning on following the 13 week sprint training and going to give it a try. Any good advice for beginners on how to kick start all this?

Thanks,

Mara
2015-06-09 3:43 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

Thank you. This response was helpful to me also.
2016-08-29 6:53 PM

User image

Hi team, I'm new to triathalon training, and I want to complete an IronMan in within two years, so I'm starting with my first sprint in about 13 weeks! This is the first real training regimen I've ever done either. I didn't do any sports past middle elementary school.

I'm a big swimmer, and a poor runner, but I'm looking to get better at both! As well as biking, of course. Today is my "Day 1!" and I just finished with a 6 mile bike ride. Thanks to all!
2016-08-30 3:42 AM
in reply to: #3052887

Welcome in the club!!! I am at Day 8 of my personal chase for a tri :-)

I am a pretty good runner, but even if I can swim and ride a bike I am not doing those activities for long time. I have started to alternate my runs with some session on stationary bike (about 40 min each) and tomorrow evening I will go for the first time in swimming pool.

I would like to be ready for an olympic tri for summer 2017.
2017-03-28 11:29 AM
in reply to: FrankieP78

Hi
I am new to triathlons. I always cycled a lot until 2 years ago when moving to Canada from the UK's leafy lanes. I ran no more than 5km. Swimming - mainly breast stroke. Struggle with front crawl. I am planning to do a sprint marathon at the end of June. I have signed up for a stroke improvement swim class which starts today. Hopefully that will help my swimming. I restarted both running and cycling 2 weeks ago. Cycling - uphill as much as I can. I also do some weights and tabata interval training and go to yoga. I have printed off the training plan and will modify it on a spread sheet for my training days.

Does anyone else live on Vancouver Island out there?

Cheers

2017-03-29 12:37 AM
in reply to: mindful babble

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada

Howdy from Langley BC

There is a BC forum here on beginner triathlete, http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?...

You might get in touch with an island person or two. Where on the island are you? Lots of tri folks and groups on VI

cheers
Kelly

Originally posted by mindful babble

Hi
I am new to triathlons. I always cycled a lot until 2 years ago when moving to Canada from the UK's leafy lanes. I ran no more than 5km. Swimming - mainly breast stroke. Struggle with front crawl. I am planning to do a sprint marathon at the end of June. I have signed up for a stroke improvement swim class which starts today. Hopefully that will help my swimming. I restarted both running and cycling 2 weeks ago. Cycling - uphill as much as I can. I also do some weights and tabata interval training and go to yoga. I have printed off the training plan and will modify it on a spread sheet for my training days.

Does anyone else live on Vancouver Island out there?

Cheers
2017-05-17 5:25 AM

User image

Hello!!! This is my first Triathlon! I have been a road racer and OCR racer for the last 2 years! I was in the US Army before that so I am excited to start the journey of becoming a triathlete! I will be also trying duathlons as well! I am starting out on the Sprint Level first, then the sky is the limit! I will indeed be looking for pointers and the "do's and don'ts" and not trying to be the flashiest newbie in the house! I have a FELT S22, and I have a GYRO AERO helmet I got new off of Ebay for $44, so I got a deal of about $210 off the original price! I just want to have fun and I hope to see y'all on the leader boards!

Cheers!

Oh and I think this training plan looks great!
2017-05-31 6:50 PM

Did about a half dozen full marathons in my early twenties with my best at 2:51.16, then got into lifting heavy weights because at 6' I looked too skinny at 170lbs. Stopped running, years later stopped lifting, got fat and have now lost 25 lbs in 2 months and am looking to lose another 25 within the next three. I'll still maintain my "Clydesdale" status at 210 lbs, but would really like to accomplish something again now that I am in my early 50's. I like the look of this program and am starting next week for a sprint triathlon on Sept. 9th.
2017-11-25 7:14 PM
in reply to: #5197141

On the Mondays it calls for a swim bike. Is that supposed to be a brick? Or can I bike in the morning and swim later in the day?
2018-03-02 6:28 AM
in reply to: #5231449

Just starting in this. On the cusp of becoming a Clydesdale

2018-11-24 1:30 PM
in reply to: Fraserfish

well hello guys ..new to this group.home i get some motivation
2018-12-02 8:09 AM
in reply to: paragrj

User image

Well hello to you as well!

I don't know much about motivation this time of year as for a lot of us this is the off season. Many people in the sport are training indoors if at all. So don't be discouraged if you don't get a lot of feedback here.

Things pick back up around here in late March or April.

If you are new to triathlon (which your replying to a thread about a Sprint Training Plan implies) and it is also cold outside where you are, now is the perfect time to hit the gym. On days that I don't swim and can't get outside I like to alternate between weights and the elliptical. After the New Year, I try to get back into eating better (while continuing to get to the gym) so when the season starts back up I am close to the weight I want to be at.

Of course, if you live somewhere warm enough to swim, bike, and run outside right now, by all means do so. If nothing else you can post back bragging how you were able to train outside while the majority of us are stuck indoors

As you can probably tell, motivational speaking really isn't my bag!

J White
2022-01-12 2:25 AM

User image

awesome plan
2022-01-12 2:30 AM

User image

Greatt
2022-01-12 2:33 AM

User image

superb

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 13 Week Sprint Training Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 11