General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Full Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-11-07 4:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Subject: RE: Beginner Full Ironman Plan Group

ha-ha - congrats on signing up! I train on my own so can't offer any real advice on the group dynamic but one thing I would say is focus on your own training - don't be put off by other in terms of motivation, speed, power, time, equipment etc. It's a long road but focus on smaller bits at a time - It'll get you there quicker and in better shape in the end! Good luck!

Edited by grahamclarke_6 2013-11-07 4:25 PM

2013-11-07 4:22 PM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Originally posted by pistuo

I just finished my first full IM distance using this plan and it worked very well for me. Thought I would post my background for anyone considering this plan.

2010 - first got into Tri's. Did 2 Sprints that year.
2011 - did a HIM in the Spring using the BT HIM beginner plan.
2012 - did a marathon in Feb using a beginner training plan.
Leading up to the marathon in 2012, my training basically consisted of jogging. Following the marathon, I wasn't in that great of shape and I didn't do much physical activity for 10 months (gained about 25 lbs). Then I got the idea to go for a full IM. I started building some base at the beginning of 2013 and from Jan - May I was getting in probably an avg of 8-10 hours of training per week. My training plan started in June (BT Beginner plan using HR but not doing the core work). I completed probably about 70% of the swimming, 90% of the running & 110% of the biking. This was the first time I have ever trained using HR. I highly recommend it! I've used RPE in the past and it has been very hard for me to gauge RPE during a race with adrenaline pumping. However, using HR during my IM worked like a charm. I started the run feeling very good and was able to complete my IM in 13:40 (quite a bit better than I thought I would for my first with a beginner plan). And I still had gas in the tank after finishing.

If you use the BT HR plan, go ahead and pony up for the Silver membership. It's well worth it b/c it will not only let you drop all your WO's into your calendar, but it will also let you drag and drop WO's from one day to another. At the beginning of each week, I would move the WO's around to best fit my work and family schedule. It is a great tool!

Feel free to message me and Q's you have about this plan. I highly recommend some base WO's before you begin the 20-week plan... especially if you haven't done much. If you complete this plan, it will get you to the finish line.

well done Ironman! - great post too by the way!
2013-11-13 3:00 AM
in reply to: Tri Take Me Away

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
So I will be honest with everyone, I have been on the 20 week full ironman plan but haven't followed the plan very much. I just got a new job in japan and with moving family and all that I have too busy to train. Now I am back and starting the plan a little late but better late than never. I started this plan I am going to register for Hokkaido whenever it opens. I completed my first half ironman his past July, the Vineman and feel the need to push the limit even further.
2013-11-14 10:48 AM
in reply to: chrismcturnan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Originally posted by chrismcturnan

So I will be honest with everyone, I have been on the 20 week full ironman plan but haven't followed the plan very much. I just got a new job in japan and with moving family and all that I have too busy to train. Now I am back and starting the plan a little late but better late than never. I started this plan I am going to register for Hokkaido whenever it opens. I completed my first half ironman his past July, the Vineman and feel the need to push the limit even further.

If you want to start the plan more than 20 weeks out from your race in order to see how you handle it, I think that is okay. However, I do not think it is necessary. My race was late Oct, so I started the plan in June (20 weeks out). In the 6 months before June, I averaged 8-10 hours of workouts per week. This base really had me prepared when I started the plan. Whatever you choose to do, definitely reset and start the plan 20 weeks out from your race.
2013-11-14 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
I have no races for the remainder of this year and not sure when races will start next year. I was going to use the plan for base and maintenance through the winter months, scale back in the spring, and start this plan again or even a more advanced plan late spring. When i did the HIM in July I noticed my body was pretty tired from all the races and training I did prior to that. I think I did around 5 sprints and an olympic, all within 4 months of the HIM. I am scaling back on races and focusing more on training this next season.
2013-11-14 10:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Sounds good to me. From everything I've heard and read, be bad unless:
1) they cause you to miss training (b/c you're traveling there/back or recovering after)
2) they're too soon before your "A" race (not an issue if you will take it easy and make it "training" instead of "racing")

If you're looking for some base and need to ride indoors some, you might check out Jorge's Winter Cycling program found here on BT. It;s designed to be a plan you can use through the winter on your trainer... however, you can also do the WO's outside and it's a great way to get you in great form on the bike leading into a 20-week training plan.

Whatever you choose to do, make sure you have a good plan and that you follow the taper in the few weeks leading up to the race. That should get you to the start line fresh and ready to kill it. Good luck

2013-11-18 2:26 PM

User image

Welllington, NZ

If you want to start the plan more than 20 weeks out from your race in order to see how you handle it, I think that is okay. However, I do not think it is necessary. My race was late Oct, so I started the plan in June (20 weeks out). In the 6 months before June, I averaged 8-10 hours of workouts per week. This base really had me prepared when I started the plan. Whatever you choose to do, definitely reset and start the plan 20 weeks out from your race.

I'd agree. Although for my first IM i did the first 10 weeks of the 20wk HIM plan, had a recovery week and then went into the 20wk IM plan, in the end it was just too long. I think you could easily fit in some bike build up before the 20wk HIM plan but not too much. Sounds like the above 8-10 hours training worked well. I'd be careful of doing any big run training without building up slowly though, and the normal 20wk IM plan allows for that.

Lewis.
2013-11-18 2:30 PM

User image

Welllington, NZ
Whatever you choose to do, make sure you have a good plan and that you follow the taper in the few weeks leading up to the race. That should get you to the start line fresh and ready to kill it. Good luck

The tapering is a real pain but totally necessary. You will feel like you're wasting time and a litle bit here and there won't hurt but really, follow the taper and don't add extra. Spend the time chilling with familly and friends/doing things you'd sacrificed instead! Just make sure it's not something that is going to tire you. ;-)

Lewis.
2013-11-18 3:25 PM
in reply to: lbishop

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Originally posted by lbishop

The tapering is a real pain but totally necessary. You will feel like you're wasting time and a litle bit here and there won't hurt but really, follow the taper and don't add extra. Spend the time chilling with familly and friends/doing things you'd sacrificed instead! Just make sure it's not something that is going to tire you. ;-)

Lewis.

totally agree with the above. The last 2 weeks can be tough....from doing way less than you've been used too! Nerves will be setting in and there is a temptation to do more - DON'T! You've done all the hard work - let the body and mind recovers, spend time doing all the things you've put off over the last 20wks or so and enjoy having your life back for a while! Also use the time to plan what you need to bring with you, what goes in what bag etc!
2013-11-19 12:24 PM
in reply to: grahamclarke_6

User image

I am planning to do my first Triathlon next July. I've been reading and researching to find out how to prepare. I plan to follow the 20wk program when it gets closer. What could I be doing now to prepare? Any advice is welcome and appreciated!!! I am in good shape and workout 5-6 days per week as is! Thanks.
2013-11-19 5:03 PM
in reply to: hrapini

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Originally posted by hrapini

I am planning to do my first Triathlon next July. I've been reading and researching to find out how to prepare. I plan to follow the 20wk program when it gets closer. What could I be doing now to prepare? Any advice is welcome and appreciated!!! I am in good shape and workout 5-6 days per week as is! Thanks.

What distance are you doing?
What workouts are you currently doing?

Here are some ideas:
-Don't add too much too fast (especially running). Not worth the injury risk.
-Take your weakest sport and focus on it for a bit (while still maintaining the others).
-Go ahead and try out different nutrition so that once your plan starts you'll be ready to train with what you will use race day. (I liked infinit for the bike!)
-Have fun with your WO's... With a plan, everything is scheduled and laid out for you... so before you get there, enjoy not having to follow a schedule and just doing whichever sport you feel like that day...
-Workout with other people. I find group rides much more fun than solo. When you're in the middle of training, your schedule may not allow you the flexibility to work out with others. Or your specific WO's can keep you from working out with others (for example, if it calls for a 2 hr ride in zone 2 and the group is going to ride hard that day).
-Find some WO's that have intervals. Again, be careful with running and injury risk, but doing intervals (even short ones) in all 3 sports can really improve your fitness and get you in solid shape going into any plan.

2013-11-19 6:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Newport, North Carolina
I totally agree with Pistuo. Yes I am on the 20 week plan BUT I am not always able to get my workouts in on specific days. What I do is just copy and paste the workouts to a word document and generalize the plan for workouts for that week and not specific days. If I complete all the workouts for that given week then I am still technically on the plan.
2013-11-19 7:09 PM

User image

Welllington, NZ
Definatively some good tips there. The only thing i would say is that in any plan certain workouts will be more important to achieve than others, specifically the long-slow-distance (LSD) ones. I think there are some thoughts that high intensity training (HIT) can replace LSD type stuff but every time i've tried HIT i've overdone it and injured myself so i tend to shy away from it. If at any time you find you need more recovery, then drop one of the less important sessions or replace it with an easier session.

Originally posted by chrismcturnan
What I do is just copy and paste the workouts to a word document and generalize the plan for workouts for that week and not specific days. If I complete all the workouts for that given week then I am still technically on the plan.

Remeber, don't get too caught up on following the plans 100% - if you do move workouts around then make sure you're getting adequate recovery in.

Lewis.
2013-11-19 9:32 PM
in reply to: lbishop

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Yes, I definitely agree about the long, slow WO's and base miles. All my tips were really just for the pre-20 week period. During the training, intensity I think depends somewhat on the person and their goals. During my 20-week plan, I didnt really do any high intensity running b/c I didnt want to risk injury. Also, with the swim I would sometimes just hop in the pool and do the distance straight (instead of doing the recommended sets).

As for printing your WO's out on paper. Dude, check out the calendar on this site. It is awesome. You may have to buy the silver membership to do it, but ou can drop a BT plan right into it (instantly). Then, you can drag WO's around and put them on the days you want. This alone is well worth the membership cost. Of course, keep in mind that some of the WO's are put in a certain sequence for a reason. But, when you have a full-time job and new baby, sometimes you gotta just get the WO's in where you can. Just try and keep the long WO's spaced out for recovery.
2013-11-20 2:19 PM

User image

Thanks so much for all of the tips! I really appreciate it! I am totally new to the sport and am really just doing all of my research on the fitness and nutrition plans.

I would say that running is my strongest of all 3. Unfortunately I live in VT and we will be covered in snow pretty soon. I am getting a membership to the local rec to work on the swimming and biking. It will have to be on a spin bike until spring at least. But hopefully that will still be effective.

Can you guys recommend some good sites or reading on the nutrition part?
2013-11-21 12:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
There are two aspects of nutrition...
1. Everyday eating
2. What you take during workouts and races

I cant help you with #1 as I just eat whatever I find... ha. As for #2, I like infinit "Go Far" mix on the bike. The protein definitely keeps my stomach from feeling empty and I also felt like the mix helped my legs recover even during workouts. And chocolate milk or a protein shake for recovery after long workouts worked for me.

You mentioned that you'll be on a spin bike for the winter. You might want to check out Jorge's Winter Cycling plan (found on this site for free).

2013-11-21 2:22 AM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
In realtion to nutrition for racing I don't think there is a one size fits all approach - it's a bit of trial and error to see what suits you best. I'm in Ireland and use the Maximuscle Viper range - drink,gels & bars (not sure if you have it in the States) and that works good for me - especially up to HIM distance. For the full I mixed it with homemade flapfacks & bananas for some solid food as after 4 or 5hrs on the bike I get a bit sick of the real sugary stuff. All of this was tried out on long training rides and runs prior to the race so I was somewhat prepaired and knew what to expect (as much as you can going into your first full distance!!)
2013-11-21 2:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
stupid duplicate posts!

Edited by grahamclarke_6 2013-11-21 2:28 AM
2013-11-21 1:29 PM

User image

Again thank you all for the great tips and advice. I will definitely check out the biking program. I've been doing a lot of reading about gear and of course every site I go to has the perfect beginner package. Can you guys tell me what are the essentials I need to begin training? I was thinking the padded bike shorts would be good since I've seen a lot on saddle sores.

Also do you guys think that it is realistic to be able to do my first Tri in 8 months. Or should you have other races under your belt first. I am completely committed to this so the training part won't be a problem. My 5 year old is in a wheelchair and he is my inspiration for this. I want to do it for him!!!! Thanks again and sorry for playing 20 questions!
2013-11-22 1:38 AM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland

Again thank you all for the great tips and advice. I will definitely check out the biking program. I've been doing a lot of reading about gear and of course every site I go to has the perfect beginner package. Can you guys tell me what are the essentials I need to begin training? I was thinking the padded bike shorts would be good since I've seen a lot on saddle sores.

Also do you guys think that it is realistic to be able to do my first Tri in 8 months. Or should you have other races under your belt first. I am completely committed to this so the training part won't be a problem. My 5 year old is in a wheelchair and he is my inspiration for this. I want to do it for him!!!! Thanks again and sorry for playing 20 questions!

Essential Gear

good googles
hat
swim shorts
wetsuit if your planing on OWS and depending where you are
road bike
bike shorts or tri shorts - I use my tri-shorts 90% of the time no matter what distance
cycle jacket - again depends on location
helmet
good runners
shorts & t-shirt

Everything else you can add on at a later stage when you know your going to stick at it!

Sprint and Olympic are definately doable in 8mths, HIM distance possible but depends on your base fitness & full I personally wouldn't recommend in your first year.

I love your inspiration - can't think of a better reason. Have a look at www.teamhoyt.com and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt7w8hV90SIfor more inspiration and an amazing story.

Don't worry about the questions - thats the great thing about BT!
2013-11-26 12:12 PM

User image

I love Team Hoyt!! They are awesome! I just got my membership to the local rec center today. Can't wait to get started with my training!!!

2013-12-02 11:38 AM

User image

Do you guys think that spinning classes are a good way to get started? I am going to try one tonight. I thought it might help to get myself familiar with the spinning bikes since I will be using them this winter!
2013-12-03 1:15 AM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland

Do you guys think that spinning classes are a good way to get started? I am going to try one tonight. I thought it might help to get myself familiar with the spinning bikes since I will be using them this winter!

I think spinning is a great option through the winter when it can be more difficult to get outdoors. Most classes will have a variety of intervals, climbs, sprints but you only get out of it what you put into it. Take a few minutes before the class to get the bike set up right to make it easier and prevent injuries. A good instructor with good music makes the class and time will fly, a poor instructor with little variety will make it boring! Here's hoping you get the former!!
2014-04-30 8:52 AM
in reply to: Tri Take Me Away

Subject: RE: Beginner Full Ironman Plan Group--BT IM Plan
I have been using the BT IM plan for about 10 weeks. I am feeling a little nervous about the number of biking hours. I am on the recovery week of my base 1. I have previously been upping the hours. I am going into theme weeks next week. Has anyone else altered this plan to include more biking hours? I feel strong on the run (I've always been a runner) and I feel as though I have good endurance with the swim. The bike has caused me a lot of nervous stress! I am doing my first IM in Placid in July, so I am a little nervous because of all the climbs!

Thanks!
2014-04-30 8:11 PM
in reply to: a.sayler3

User image

Welllington, NZ
Subject: RE: Beginner Full Ironman Plan Group--BT IM Plan
Originally posted by a.sayler3

I have been using the BT IM plan for about 10 weeks. I am feeling a little nervous about the number of biking hours. I am on the recovery week of my base 1. I have previously been upping the hours. I am going into theme weeks next week. Has anyone else altered this plan to include more biking hours? I feel strong on the run (I've always been a runner) and I feel as though I have good endurance with the swim. The bike has caused me a lot of nervous stress! I am doing my first IM in Placid in July, so I am a little nervous because of all the climbs!

Thanks!

I think if you're comfortable with your swim and run definatively consider upping the bike portion - a lot of folks consider bike performance pivotal to the event, with the fresher you are coming off the bike the better your run.

Just be careful to not overdo it too much, perhaps if you are that comfortable replace either a swim or run session for a bike session of the SAME intensity. It really depends on which part of your bike training you consider to be needing work. If it's just endurance make one of the other sessions longer or if it's speed to do speed work/hills etc.

On my last one i literally replaced all my runs with likewise bike sessions - i.e. 1 hour for 1 hour. the overall BT plans are good but a lot of people modify them for themselves depending on ability. Give it a try and see how it goes.

The main thing is to not do too much and over-train.

Lewis.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner Full Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 16