General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-08-19 7:59 PM

Subject: Heart Rate Training

I am new to hear rate training. 37 years old.  I just signed up for HIM Ca. In my research I have read all about aerobic, anaerobic, all the zones etc... My question is. In order for me to get faster, do I have to run slower to keep my heart rate down? When I run 6 miles, my heart rate averages 153 which is about 85 %, I know I need to be about 143 about 75%.

How should I begin my HIM training? Should I continue at my 9.30- 10min pace or start over going up to about a 12 min pace to keep my heart rate lower? And if I do so, Is six months enough to have me runing at about 9 min pace with a low heart rate?

Thanks
Raul

2010-08-19 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3053804

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Training
As an athlete who does train with HR my best advice is get your LT/VO2 tested to establish your HR zones and then choose a training program that uses that same protocol.
2010-08-20 9:01 AM

Regular
Babylon
Heart race is a good way to train and when your are in an IM, your main objective is to keep aerobic in zone 2 with flirting with zone 3.

You really need to get some training in first that then run a TT to determine your LT.  Then set your zones from training.  IM is all about building your strong base before putting in the speed work. 
2010-08-22 8:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth
In order to get faster - you need to trainer faster. Training at a slow pace makes you really good at running at a slow pace. Run a 5km Time Trial and work out your HR Zones or punch in your time on the web and get your vDot training zones. Then break up your week into 3 run sessions. Make one session a 30m run off the bike - marathon pace out and half marathon pace back. 2nd session should be intervals ie. 1 hour of 3 x 1200m at z4 with 2 minute walk rest in between - remainder of run try and keep in your Zone 3. Your last session should be a long run which should start with a couple of z4 miles to tire the legs and then keep the rest of the run at z3 for say 1 hour and build this to 1.5 hours. 

Test yourself every 4-6 weeks with a 5km TT and always practise good form! Stride workouts help with that.

Best of luck to you. 
2010-08-22 10:16 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I'm gonna agree with Bryan, and disagree with the poster above.

So yes, get a good, reliable, read on your zones.  Lab testing is the gold standard.  I believe that with some persistence and care, it can be done in the field as well, though this is tough.

As for the previous post, I disagree on many scores.  Unless you are running a reasonable amount (25+ mpw), don't do speedwork apart from, perhaps, the occasional pick-up or strides or 'I feel good let's run this last mile a little harder'.  You absolutely WILL get faster by just running more.

As for your actual question:  Yes, slow down.  Once you know your zones reliably, if your plan or intention (for whatever well-thought-out reason you may have!) is to run in Z2, then yes, slow down however much it takes to be in Z2.

The point of training in different zones is that you gin specific benefits from training in specific zones.  If you avoid training Z2 because it is 'too slow' then you will lose the benefit of training in Z2.  (In my book, one of the main benefits of Z2 is that it is not particularly taxing, hence allowing you to get in more volume more consistently.  But it also provides specific physiological benefits.)

Once you are up to 25mpw consistently and you feel strong, add in some speedwork.

My 2c. 
2010-08-23 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth
I've tried improving my running both ways - last year I was running long and slow Zone 1&2 stuff, some pick ups and strides. I definitely saw improvement in my running times. This year I went went for a fast and  short approach. Various reasons ie. work, family, social life. I have seen the same if not better improvement in my speed from less time invested. Do what works best for you and your lifestyle.

2010-08-28 7:20 PM

Thanks for the advice. I have ran a few marathons and halfs a few months back and was running about 30-40 mpw. Now that I am training for my first HIM I have cut my running back to about 15-20 mpw and do speed work about every two weeks.  It can get a bit confusing at times. I have read many articles which say run in zone 2 or 3 to get faster, however, the articles state it takes about 3 months to see the increased speed.  

The slow training requires A LOT of patience . I do like simple advice..IF you want to learn to run faster..run faster!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Training Rss Feed